Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Who needs soccer riots when you;ve got basketball?

Source: www.sportsillustratedi.com

Pacers get into ugly brawl with Detroit fans at end of win

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Indiana's Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of their game against the Detroit Pistons on Friday night, and the brawl forced an early and ugly end to the Pacers' 97-82 win.

Officials stopped the game with 45.9 seconds remaining after pushing and shoving between the teams spilled into the stands once fans got involved by throwing things at the players near the scorer's table.

"It's the ugliest thing I've seen as a coach or player," said Pistons coach Larry Brown, who was in the middle of the confrontation, trying to break it up.

After several minutes of players fighting with fans in the stands, a chair, beer, ice, and popcorn were thrown at the Pacers as they made their way to the locker room in one of the scariest brawls in an NBA game.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "I'm sorry the game had to end this way."

The Palace announcer said the game was being stopped and pleaded with fans not to throw things.

It all started when Detroit's Ben Wallace went in for a layup and was fouled hard by Artest from behind.

Wallace wheeled around and pushed Artest in the face. The benches emptied and punches were thrown.

As the players continued shoving each other near center court and coaches tried to restore order, Artest sprawled out on his back on the scorer's table, looking relaxed.

Just when it appeared tempers had died down, Artest was struck by a full cup thrown from the stands. He jumped up, and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Fans were punching back, and Jackson and another teammate joined Artest in the melee.

"I was worried about Stephen Jackson and Artest, as silly as they were acting," Brown said.

Security personnel and ushers tried to break up the fighting. Former Pistons player Rick Mahorn, who was seated courtside as a Detroit radio analyst, tried to stop the brawl in the stands.

"The police investigation is ongoing and that's it," said Pistons spokesman Matt Dobek, who refused to further comment .

Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and Indiana's David Harrison were also in or near the stands. Both were trying to break up the fights.

As the crowd roared, drinks and debris showered the court and the Pacers players covered their heads as they hustled through the runway leading to the locker room.

A man in a Pistons jersey approached Artest on the court with fists raised, shouting at him. Artest punched him in the face, knocking the man to the floor before leaving the court. Artest was pulled away, and the fan charged back. O'Neal stepped in and punched the man.

"The NBA is withholding comment until it can review the incident," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

Players from both teams left without comment.

Quentin Richardson of the Phoenix Suns watched the brawl on television.

"I have never seen a fight like that in a game since I was in high school," he said. "Man, there are going to be some lawsuits. You don't think some of those fans aren't going to want some NBA money?"

Lamar Odom of the Lakers saw it for the first time as he was being interviewed:

"Whoooo. When you see things like that, just think about what it takes for NBA players to go into a crowd," Odom said. "Sometimes fans get kind of out of hand, but it must have taken a lot for NBA players to go into a crowd and start a fight."

Police prevented reporters from crossing the loading dock to get to Indiana's locker room or the area where the Pacers' bus was located.

"I'm just embarrassed for our league and disappointed for our young people to see that," Brown said.

Before the contest was stopped, Artest had quite a game and the Pacers were dominating the defending NBA champions in their first meeting since the Eastern Conference finals.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    As some of you know (like ZUBi ) I'm a big NBA fan, and my favourite team happens to be Indiana Pacers. This game went live on Orbit ESPN yesterday, but because of a short weather storm here the ESPN channal was off, so I watched Knicks vs. Mavericks on another channel -- and I found out about the fight just now. It's very sad thing like this happened...as Pacers fan I can only hope there won't be lenghty suspensions by the league for the players involved, since "half" of the players on the Indiana team are alredy on the injured list.

Watch the brawl here:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...videos=1927343

Article - "Nasty scene in Detroit is a call to action for league office"
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...act/index.html
    Last edited by lafce; 11-20-2004 at 03:59 PM.

Credits
    Yeah buts thats nothing compared to the Soccer (football)riots, that happen in Europe, the riots that happen here are brutal, people get shot, stabbed, mauled, beaten, bottled, 600 guys going fist to face with each other, mass violence, with 100s of armoured police , not a pretty site, but i myself dont condone these acts, but its very funny to watch from a distance, a safe distance, while dumb, neanderthal like men fighting because they get off on violence, lol
    In the year of our Lord 1314
    patriots of Scotland
    starving and outnumbered
    charged the fields at Bannockburn
    They fought like warrior poets
    They fought like Scotsmen
    And won their freedom

Credits
    not to forget the people that get crushed against the barriers while all te chaos is happening.