Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

R.I.P - Amrish Puri aka guy in Temple of Doom or Mogambo

Veteran actor Amrish Puri, best known for his roles as a villain in Bollywood films, died after suffering a brain haemorrhage, hospital sources said.

Puri, 72, had acted in 221 Bollywood films, with light-comedy "Hulchul" (Uproar), released in December, his last major hit.

The actor, who brought his own distinctive style to the screen, was the bald-headed "Mogambo" in the 1987 sci-fi Hindi flick, "Mr India," directed by Shekhar Kapur of "Elizabeth" fame.

Puri's line in "Mr India" -- "Mogambo khush hua" (Mogambo is happy) -- remains one of the most famous in the history of Hindi cinema.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh led the tributes.

"Indian cinema and theatre will, without doubt, miss his commanding and endearing presence," Singh said in a statement.

"Puri made his mark on stage and then went on to become one of the most recognisable faces in Hindi cinema as well as among international audiences."

Puri, younger brother of former Bollywood character actor Madan Puri, was rejected during a screen test in 1954, with the producers deciding he had a "crude and harsh face" unsuitable for a main lead.

He then turned his attention to the theatre and also lent his voice to many advertisement jingles.

But the Bollywood break came at the age of 40 although for success he had to wait for the 1982 box office hit "Vidhaata" (God).

In the same year, he caught the attention of global audiences with a cameo role in Richard Attenbourough's film "Gandhi."

Puri also played minor roles in two Hollywood films -- as the high priest in the Steven Spielberg adventure epic "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" (1984) and the sequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Puri showed his versatility when he switched to character roles in the 1990s with "Phool Aur Kaante" (Flowers and Thorns) and "Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge" (Big Hearts Will Win Their Brides).

"There is no question that he gave his best in all his roles," Bollywood director Govind Nihalani said.
    The last bollywood movie i watched with him in it was just a few days ago and i never would have thought i would have been hearing of his death this week.. was very abrupt and shocking indeed.. he was one of the best villians in bollywood cinema ever! he will be gravely missed by bollywood and many people all around the world! R.I.P!

Credits
    While I haven't seen much of his work (I've only seen him in the Temple Of Doom), I still think it's sad he's gone. He was a very effective villian in TOD. R.I.P.

Credits
    Just read this sad news in our local newspaper. I only saw him in "Indiana Jones" and "Gandhi"... R.I.P.

BTW - it's interesting that in "Gandhi" he played together with another indian actor - Roshan Seth, who played the Prime Minister of Pancot Chattar Lal in "The Temple of Doom".
    Last edited by lafce; 01-12-2005 at 06:59 PM.