Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Dolby Digital Plus (13.1)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01...s_6115922.html

woot.... HD-DVD anyone

Are you ready for 13.1 sound? Dolby Digital Plus features more than 10 times the bandwidth of Dolby Digital.
    LAS VEGAS--Dolby Digital has seen some enhancements over the years as it's become the most common multichannel standard. But in the not-so-distant future, it's going to get a huge overhaul. At CES, Dolby gave Dolby Digital Plus its major debut, showing how it takes advantage of advances in storage, recording, optical density, and bandwidth.

Previously announced and briefly demoed at AES late last year, Dolby Digital Plus has had enough time behind the scenes to gather industry support. It's been named as a standard for the upcoming HD DVD format, though the forces behind the competing Blu-ray disc format have yet to make a similar announcement.

Dolby Digital Plus builds on the original Dolby Digital specifications, allowing for higher bit rates and more channels. Dolby Digital Plus has a maximum bit rate of 6mbps and supports 13.1 channels. In comparison, Dolby Digital caps out at 640kbps and 5.1 channels. So Dolby Digital Plus essentially provides 10 times the bandwidth of the original Dolby Digital. The new format also allows for extremely low bit rate multichannel sound for streaming on the Web or over the air. The benefits of the Dolby Digital Plus codec include transient prenoise processing, enhanced channel coupling, adaptive hybrid transform processing, and channel and program extensions.

Whereas the original Dolby Digital signal was sent over either optical or coaxial cables, Dolby Digital Plus uses the new HDMI connector. Content encoded with Plus will be backwards compatible, but the resulting sound won't be as detailed.

Dolby couldn't explicitly say if Dolby Digital Plus will be used on upcoming game consoles, leaving those announcements for first parties. But that may be the next logical step, if bit rates are practical for real-time applications, given that the current generation supports Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II.

On another front, Dolby is bringing Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding to the masses. With Dolby Digital 5.1 Creator, you can create your own 5.1 mixes for home movies. This new feature was demonstrated at CES with the Sony DVD Handycam DCR-DVD403. Using a multichannel microphone, the Handycam allows you to capture sounds from all directions so you can produce home movies with 5.1 sound.

I believe it was setup like this:

-------------------------------------Screen
    -------------------sub-------X--------X----------X

--------------------------X----------------------------X

--------------------------X----------Couch----------X

------------------------------------X--------X

And then where the 4 side speakers are, they are 4 ceiling speakers. In otherwords, a pair directly above the listening position, and a pair about halfway to the screen.
    Last edited by trailergod; 01-13-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Now THAT is rather convincing!! defo wanna hear what that wud sound like!

Credits
    Could some of the extra channels/speakers be located at the front much like a movie theatre?

Credits
    as long as it is loud!

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    I really don't get it... I mean, as long as you've got stereo speakers, you can create a localized-sounding noise anywhere in-between them. I understand the concept of having a center channel to seperate the main talking/fx from the music and other fx, and as long as you've got stereo rear channels, or 3 like some do now, isn't that enough to completely create a 360 degree soundfield? The only way I can understand this is the higher bitrate and if you want to create a VERY localized soundfield... but those who would invest in so many speakers etc. would already have a perfectly calibrated 5.1 or 6.1 system which can already create those great localized sounds.

Credits
    it will never stop. ANyone with enough money can make a 13.1 system. U just have to have that many speakers and plud adaptors. It would be useless anyway since nothing provides true 13.1 sound yet. But it will never stop. growing. Room is the draw back always.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    I don't see the common consumer buying into this. If anything I get the impression we're moving back to less speakers with more directional capability.

Credits
    hell yeah. I agree with that.

Credits
    I agree with DBLN11 that this will probably stay in the enthuseist / audiophile catagoery. There's still people out there, at least that I know, that still don't even have a 5.1 system set up.

Credits
    Source: www.dolby.com

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby® TrueHD is Dolby’s next-generation lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media. Dolby TrueHD delivers tantalizing sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs. When coupled with high-definition video, Dolby TrueHD offers an unprecedented home theater experience that lets you enjoy sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.
    Features

* 100 percent lossless coding technology.
    * Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
    * Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
    * Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
    * Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.

*Dolby TrueHD can support more than eight audio channels. HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc standards currently limit their maximum number of audio channels to eight.
    Benefits

* Delivers enthralling studio-master-quality sound that unlocks the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs.
    * Offers more discrete channels than ever before for impeccable surround sound.
    * Compatible with the A/V receivers and home-theaters-in-a-box (HTIBs) of today and tomorrow.
    * Dialogue normalization maintains the same volume level when you change to other Dolby Digital and Dolby TrueHD programming.
    * Dynamic range control (Night mode) enables you to customize audio playback to reduce peak volume levels (no loud surprises) while experiencing all the details in the soundtrack, enabling late-night viewing of high-energy surround sound without disturbing others.
    * Selected as the mandatory format for HD DVD and as an optional format for Blu-ray Disc.
    Also more about Dolby Digital Plus at this site.

Credits
    DTS rules

j7wild Guest
    I have a home theater system and it's set up like this:

-----------------------------LF------------------------RF--
    -------------------------------------Screen--Sub---

--------------------------LCeiling-------------------------RCeiling---

--------------------------Lside--------Couch----------Rside

------------------------------------LRear--------RRear-----

but it's 9.1 not 13.1; actually I'd never heard of 13.1 until now

:big grin: