Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Widescreen trailers

Hi there!

I'm a bit new at all this forum stuff, but I just wanted to say hello to people.

I'm currently writing my PhD on movie trailers and, having found your site about a year ago (and used it since then) I thought I'd ask a general question:

Does anyone know where I could an online version of 'The Robe' trailer from 1954?

Through various links (espec. the TCM trailer links posted here - thanks to whoever did that) I've watched a lot of early 'Scope and Vista trailers but can't seem to find the one that started the whole thing off.

Given I'm working on a chapter on 1950s widescreen trailers, its becoming more and more essential to watch it! (and you know that poor students don't want to buy DVDs when we can get stuff for nothing online!)

Thanks,
    Keef27

Credits
    Hi, welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by keef27
    (and you know that poor students don't want to buy DVDs when we can get stuff for nothing online!)
    You might try your local library, they often have dvd's of older movies and best of all there free. Or you can try to rent it. At least it's not as expensive as buying.

Credits
    Welcome keef27! Where do you live? In the States? I just checked DeepDiscountDVD and they have The Robe for $9.99 which includes shipping. If you can't afford that, I might be interested in buying it and sending you the vob. It's on my wish list.

I also have the following from the '50s (that haven't been posted elsewhere in the forum to my knowledge) if you are interested: Friendly Persuasion, The King and I, Pillow Talk, Vertigo. There are more, but these are the color wide-screen ones, I think. Let me know if I can help you out. Be sure to check out the Forum Exclusives and our VOB site.

Also ... what is you degree going to be in? It fascinates me that you can write your PhD on trailers!
    Deep In The Heart Of Texas!
    My Movie Collection

Credits
    Do universities allow distribution of the final PhD paper (?) publicly? If so, it will be hell nice if we can see a PDF after you finish.

Credits

Thanks for suggestions...

I'd already scoured a few local libraries to no avail. However, after an afternoon searching various websites I may have found a cheap DVD of 'The Robe' that will solve my problem if there are no online options!

As to my degree, its a phD in Film Studies at the University of Kent, here in the UK - hopefully, I'll get a publisher after I graduate so everyone can see whether they agree with my opinions.

Keef27

Credits
    Keep us posted. I think you've peaked all of our interests!

Credits
    I've added The Robe to my rental list (will receive next week) and will add to Classics.

Credits
    I have that movie and will check if it contains the trailer and upload it
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by keef27
    Through various links (espec. the TCM trailer links posted here - thanks to whoever did that)...
    You're welcomed.

Regards,
    'whoever'.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    on the Image DVD "20th century fox: the first 50 years", there is a promo reel for The Robe. I haven't seen it for a while but I can check it if you want ?

Credits

Thanks...

What a great response - wishing I'd started posting here a lot earlier! Tho I hope that not every thread I start is me asking for favours!

Just a few quick replies...

Wireframe9: don't think the uni will publish publicly (finished product will also be in the 100,000 word region), but I'm hoping to get a few articles published in the next year or so, and they 'may' be available online. If anyone was interested in reading rough drafts, or bits of chapters, I could post them?

editman - apols for not thanking you by name. Getting access to the TCM trailers has completely revolutionised what I can write about, and completely expanded my original focus.

Jean-Pierre / Kn'thrak - if you can get 'The Robe' online that would be amazing. Having seen 'How to Marry Millionaire' and 'Beneath 12 Mile Reef' ('Scope trailers 2 and 3) it will be great to see the first!

Jerome - re: promo reel for 'The Robe', do you know if that's that the trailer, or the promo footage they use to sell 'Scope to distributors / exhibitors?

Keef27

Credits
    the presentation reel for the Robe runs 5'30. It is in fact a movitone news explaining the Henri Chretien process + the trailer for The Robe in 2.35 aspect ratio.

Credits
    keef27, if you want the VOB, its on the public FTP (PM for the password) or wait for someone can make it into a small QT file like its planned.

Credits

The Robe - thanks!

Wow, love The Robe trailer - just watched it and it'll make a great addition to my 'widescreen & 3-D trailers' chapter (how to get access to orig. 3-D trailers is a whole other issue I won't bore you with!)

Just one question for kn'thrak - did this come off the Robe DVD? Is their any indication about its origins?

I'm just curious why there is so little fuss made about CinemaScope - especially given that the 'How to Marry a Millionaire' and 'Beneath the 12-Mile Reef' trailers (from late 1953, early 1954) are arguably MORE about 'Scope than the actual films!

I doubt 'The Robe' is a re-release trailer (the copyright details are correct and the tone of it feels right for the period - the hyperbole etc.) but the 20th Century Fox sales message obviously went through a major change between this and 'How to Marry a Millionaire.'

More meat for my thesis!

Credits

access to orig. 3-D trailers? YES YES YES!!!

Yes, please 'bore us' with how to get access to orig. 3-D trailers. I, as I'm sure, many of our members would appreaciate that info.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast