Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

The Stanley Kubrick Archives

in march "taschen" will release a new book on stanley kubrick

544 pages + interview cd + booklet + "2001" film strip included in the first pressing

but it's so expensive
    USD 200 / EUR 150 / GBP 100

from taschen.de:
    Part 1: The films
    In 1968, when Stanley Kubrick was asked to comment on the metaphysical significance of 2001: A Space Odyssey, he replied: “It’s not a message I ever intended to convey in words. 2001 is a nonverbal experience…. I tried to create a visual experience, one that bypasses verbalized pigeonholing and directly penetrates the subconscious with an emotional and philosophic content.” The philosophy behind Part I borrows from this line of thinking: from the opening sequence of Killer’s Kiss to the final frames of Eyes Wide Shut, Kubrick’s complete films will be presented chronologically and wordlessly via frame enlargements. A completely nonverbal experience.

Part 2: The Creative Process
    Divided into chapters chronologically by film, Part 2 brings to life the creative process of Kubrick’s filmmaking by presenting a remarkable collection of material from his archives, including photographs, props, posters, artwork, set designs, sketches, correspondence, documents, screenplays, drafts, notes, and shooting schedules. Accompanying the visual material are essays by noted Kubrick scholars, articles written by and about Kubrick, and a selection of Kubrick’s best interviews.

Special features

• Part 1 features 800 film stills scanned directly from the original prints and interpositives
    • Part 2 presents about 800 items from the archives, most of which have never been published before
    • essays by Kubrick scholars Gene D. Phillips, Michel Ciment, and Rodney Hill
    • selected articles and essays, including interviews with and essays by Stanley Kubrick
    • illustrated Kubrick chronology
    • audio CD featuring a 70-minute 1966 interview of Stanley Kubrick by Jeremy Bernstein

**BONUS**
    • books in the first print run will each include a twelve-frame film strip from a 70mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey owned by Stanley Kubrick

Made in cooperation with Jan Harlan, Christiane Kubrick, and the Stanley Kubrick Estate.
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    Hell, this thing is huge.

Link to details on Amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

books in the first print run will each include a twelve-frame film strip from a 70mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey owned by Stanley Kubrick
    I hope those are dpublicates, not literally cutting up Kubrick's own 70mm print. (Then again, if it is, it explains the price.)

from the opening sequence of Killer’s Kiss to the final frames of Eyes Wide Shut
    Still no mention of Fear and Desire.

But 200 schmackas are just to much to throw away before actually seeing a sample. I am sort of a fan, but not that much of one. (Otha Star may though. )
    Last edited by editman; 02-12-2005 at 08:30 PM.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    Alas, I'm not quite rich and famous enough for that. 200 big ones would by buy my daughter alota pair o' shoes.

I might have to spend a few hours at Barnes and Noble when it comes out though....

Still no mention of Fear and Desire.
    That's the one movie that I haven't seen. I loved The Killing and Paths of Glory, but I was luke warm on Killer's Kiss. The older movies are good, but don't quite have the penoche of the later ones...IMO.

Other than to see every film, is Fear and Desire worth checking out?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otha Star
    Other than to see every film, is Fear and Desire worth checking out?
    Fear and Desire cannot be obtained in a legitimate way - it's never released on home video officially. There are bootleg copies floating around online. But I haven't tried going to these sources myself yet, meaning that I haven't seen the movie myself. (And being a MOD, officially I don't recommend anyone to do so either.)

On the 'Stanley Kubrick: A Life in the Picture' doco which comes with the WB box set, there's a clip of Fear and Desire. But it's hard to tell from such a short excerpt whether it's worthy or not. (But you probably know already.)

And then, there are those 3 short docos Kubrick made.
    Last edited by editman; 02-12-2005 at 11:43 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by editman
    And then, there are those 3 short docos Kubrick made.
    Which are also floating online...

It is not enough 'I succeed'. Everyone else must fail.