Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Censorship of IMAX Films Threatens Integrity of Science

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...enceleadersays

The leader of the world's largest organization of scientists said the suppression of some IMAX films because they run counter to religion threatens the integrity of science and public education.

Alan Leshner, CEO of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and executive publisher of the journal Science, sent a letter Monday to 410 members of the Association of Science-Technology Centers. The letter prompted by recent reports that Imax theaters in at least a dozen U.S. cities have declined to show films that endorse the science of evolution.

"We are writing now to express strong concerns about increasing threats to science that endanger our shared missions and to offer our support and partnership in dealing with them," Leshner's article said.

Some IMAX theatres have refused to show movies that mention evolution or the Big Bang because the ideas contradict the Bible, according to a March 19 article in The New York Times. The protests involve a dozen or fewer theaters, but the effect could be significant because only a few dozen IMAX theatres exhibit science documentaries.

"The desire not to antagonize audiences and to avoid negative business outcomes is entirely understandable," Leshner wrote. "Yet, the suppression of scientifically accurate information as a response to those with differing perspectives is inappropriate and threatens both the integrity of science and the broader public education to which we all are committed. It is also objectionable to many stakeholders-including many with strong religious convictions -- who understand that religion and science are not in opposition."

huh ? WTF.... its become so anal there in the states....
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    We're basically lost as a nation. It's very sad actually. If say 50,000 Americans find something offensive, it MUST be wrong, at least not fit for public consumption. Of course, 50,000 people is 00.000174% of the American Population. I'm being to pessimisstic... I should say...

HELP, My country has been HIJACKED by Whining LOONIES!!!! They're scared of science, nipples, sex, death, words that sound like "****" poop, food, fire and everything on TV, but don't touch your remote the germs on your remote may kill you!

Sorry if you disagree, but I live in a flyover state! Actually, I'm not.
    Last edited by p3orion; 03-30-2005 at 01:06 PM. Reason: sizing my big type down a bit....

Credits
    That article is basically lying. The reason it wasn't shown IN ONLY THE MOST CONSERVATIVE AREAS was because the theater owners thought that it would be unprofitable. Here's the real story.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Some IMAX theaters not screening volcanoes flick

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- The IMAX theater in Charleston and several others in the South have passed on showing a science film on volcanoes because of concerns it might offend those with fundamental religious beliefs.

"We've got to pick a film that's going to sell in our area. If it's not going to sell, we're not going to take it," said Lisa Buzzelli, director of the local IMAX theater. "Many people here believe in creationism, not evolution."

Buzzelli said while the Charleston theater doesn't rule out showing "Volcanoes of the Deep Sea" in the future, she considers people's religious views when showing films.

The film makes a connection between human DNA and microbes inside undersea volcanoes. Buzzelli said the handling of evolution was considered in her decision.

IMAX theaters in Texas, Georgia and the Carolinas have declined to show the film, said Pietro Serapiglia who handles distribution for Stephen Low, the film's director and producer who is from Montreal.

"I find it's only in the South," Serapiglia said.

Some people worry screening out such films will discourage filmmakers from making others in the future.

"It's going to restrain the creative approach by directors who refer to evolution," said Joe DeAmicis, vice president for marketing at the California Science Center in Los Angeles and a former director of an IMAX theater. "References to evolution will be dropped."

The IMAX Theatre in Myrtle Beach also decided against showing the film. The theater's director, Jerry Lennard, would not comment.

Some IMAX theaters are connected to science centers. Charleston's is next to the South Carolina Aquarium but has no formal relationship with the aquarium.

Whit McMillan, the aquarium's director of education, said while evolution is taught there, he didn't see a problem with the IMAX decision.

"They're a for-profit theater," he said. "It's basically none of my business."

Credits
    "We've got to pick a film that's going to sell in our area. If it's not going to sell, we're not going to take it," said Lisa Buzzelli, director of the local IMAX theater. "Many people here believe in creationism, not evolution."
    They're using the profit angle as an excuse not to show it.
    The real reason is still that they're afraid of the controversy.

Credits
    It's possible, but I respect a business's right to choose what they endorse. Many movie theaters did not show the Passion of the Christ because of the controversy, I don't fault them either.

Credits
    Passion of the Christ even had a hard time to get a BIG movie company behind it. No movie company wanted to make it and Mel Gibson had to make it with his own money. No BIG distributor even wanted to handle it, now that it earned so much they want to have a piece of the cake.

The issue in America is still being "anal" about eveything. It seems everything has to be affected by the religious consevatism beliefs of some people.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trailergod
    The issue in America is still being "anal" about eveything. It seems everything has to be affected by the religious consevatism beliefs of some people.
    It does seem to be a problem recently. The Patriot act makes me want to move to Canada. It's really really scary if you know what kind of powers it gives our government.