Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Cardinal Ratzinger is the New Pope

Pope Benedict XVI

I am saddened for the progression of the Catholic world now that Ratzinger has been selected as the new Pope. Any research into his writings show his highly conservative views on homosexuality. This could be a very controversial election.

What does anyone else think about this?
    Last edited by WorkShed; 04-19-2005 at 10:51 AM.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    yeah, he is known here in Germany for being very conservative. He is german btw... and he just turn 78 last week..... bit old don't you think...
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    I for one am a happy that we have a conservative Pope. I am surprised at his age, did not realise that he just turned 78.

Credits
    Well, at that age his conservativeness shouldn't last for long.

(Excuse me for my crassness... but I just can't believe that such a big deal is being made over this... and it doesn't affect me at all. They should at least pick a younger pope... heck I think our presidents are a bit old but they're not that old.)

Credits
    oh good news.

His understanding and well ...wisdom is probably the most correct for today. I wouldn't be influenced by media and sure as hell would not wanna see the Pope too.
    From what I heard, this Pope is true to beliefs and I did hear a few of his speechs. He is certainly intelligent in my opinion but a better person will be shown on his actions. That is what I'm waiting for.

Credits
    Are decisions on a new pope typically made this quick? This just seems fast.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Petri
    Are decisions on a new pope typically made this quick? This just seems fast.
    No, typically it takes 3-5 days, although it can take up to 2 weeks. At least, that is what I have read over the last few weeks.

This may be the fourth Pope in my lifetime, but this is only the second Pope I remember (I was three when John Paul II was elected), nor am I Catholic, so I don't have any personal experience to base this on.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    I think he's an excellent choice. From what I've read from people who know him, he's got a humble, kind spirit. His convictions are clear and he isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes is right.

If you were hoping that the Catholic church would someday change its views on homosexuality, Workshed, I'd plan to have a lifetime of disappointment. The Catholic church teaches that there is an unchangeable truth (God) that we must all seek. And since God doesn't change there's no such thing as "keeping up with the times" when it comes to morality. The Catholic church sees its role as one to keep the world from going down false paths that lead people way from God's truth (morally & spiritually).
    "34 million American adults are obese. Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two-fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind it is a very big canyon."

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by enkydu
    ...The Catholic church sees its role as one to keep the world from going down false paths that lead people way from God's truth (morally & spiritually).
    but shouldn't that also include keeping "those" priests away from children ???? how is that moral ?? shouldn't that be included under the heading of a false path ?? ( and what exactly is a false path ?? )

my $.02 : how can the Pope not be a conservative ?? i mean he's the pope for pete's sake. when has there been a liberal pope ??
    i am not catholic or christian for that matter so it really doens't bother me who they elect. give to bush for all i care. at least it will get him out of DC.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by red bear
    but shouldn't that also include keeping "those" priests away from children ???? how is that moral ??
    You're right, that's not at all moral and the Catholic church has never condoned it...at times they have done a very bad job handling it...but they have never said it was ok. The diocese in my area just last week came out with new, very strict rules for priests that should all but end wide-spread sexual abuse by priests. (for more read here) In short, it says that church officials can go into a priest's residence, unannounced, if accused of misconduct. Furthermore, no priest in the diocese is allowed to leave the city without notifying church officials, they are not allowed to buy a computer without permission, and must account for every single mile driven in their car.
    Quote Originally Posted by red bear
    shouldn't that be included under the heading of a false path ?? ( and what exactly is a false path ?? )
    Of course this is a false path. But remember, the Catholic church never claims that the actions of it's officials will always be moral. They simply say that what the Church actually teaches (its writings and preaching) will be moral...and even there if you want assurance of it being absolutely true the teaching must be approved by a bunch of bishops. (BTW, I'm not a catholic...not that there's anything wrong with that ...but have have worked along side many catholic priests and professionals during the past dozen years or so and have read extensively on the subject of Catholic doctrine.)

Credits
    But that's just problematic thinking. How could homosexuality be the path to evil, when modern medicine (and yes, this means such things as feeding tubes) goes against "God's Will", yet has a focus on a person's "Right to Life". Where is the line drawn?

Thankfully, the Catholic Church is strictly against any form of hate crime that is made against homosexuals.

A note on Ratzinger/Benedict: I am glad that his views have changed slightly since most of his controversial writings in the 70s.

A note to enkydu: the Catholic church does change, it just often takes a little time (to move through the generations of thought) or drastic events.

Don't think that the Catholic church is infallible. It is still run by man.

Credits
    I'd more say followed by man. Not ran. I'd say its run by faith.
    On the note of Catholic Church and science, well.. the Vatican has the best scientist and equipment at their use which always comes first before jumping and saying "its God, blah blah blah". LOL... just had a thought. C.S.I.: Vatican.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Kn'thrak
    C.S.I.: Vatican.
    Hopefully no one from CBS is reading this forum!

Credits
    enkydu: That's the thing, though. The one unchangeable belief that the Catholic church shares is God and Jesus. God may not change but many people's beliefs do, and the Catholic church admits that many of its followers don't all have the exact same beliefs. Also, throughout the decades and centuries, many of the church's beliefs and teachings have changed drastically.

A big problem I have with this is the belief that the pope is supposed to be infallable. When in truth, he is a man, and man is not infallable. But hey, that's just one of many contradictions I've found in religion that has helped make me realize I don't need it.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Strube
    A big problem I have with this is the belief that the pope is supposed to be infallable. When in truth, he is a man, and man is not infallable.
    Actually, I have a similar problem with the Catholic Church, but I have discovered over the last few days that the pope is only "infallable" under certain conditions and/or circumstances. Don't ask me what those are, though. I'm not Catholic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast