Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Exclamation Man arrested, shackled in leg irons, for paying in legal $2US Bills at Best Buy

Source: Baltimore Sun

PUT YOURSELF in Mike Bolesta's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too.

For this, Bolesta, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case.

Have a nice day, Mike.

"Humiliating," the 57-year old Bolesta was saying now. "I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole -- and to know you haven't done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating."

What we have here, besides humiliation, is a sense of caution resulting in screw-ups all around.

"When I bought the stereo player," Bolesta explains, "the technician said it'd fit perfectly into my son's dashboard. But it didn't. So they called back and said they had another model that would fit perfectly, and it was cheaper. We got a $67 refund, which was fine. As long as it fit, that's all.

"So we go back and pay for it, and they tell us to go around front with our receipt and pick up the difference in the cost. I ask about installation charges. They said, 'No installation charge, because of the mix-up. Our mistake, no charge.' Swell.

"But then, the next day, I get a call at home. They're telling me, 'If you don't come in and pay the installation fee, we're calling the police.' Jeez, where did we go from them admitting a mistake to suddenly calling the police? So I say, 'Fine, I'll be in tomorrow.' But, overnight, I'm starting to steam a little. It's not the money -- it's the threat. So I thought, I'll count out a few $2 bills."

He has lots and lots of them.

With his Capital City Student Tours, he arranges class trips for school kids around the country traveling to large East Coast cities, including Baltimore. He's been doing this for the last 18 years. He makes all the arrangements: hotels, meals, entertainment. And it's part of his schtick that, when Bolesta hands out meal money to students, he does it in $2 bills, which he picks up from his regular bank, Sun Trust.

"The kids don't see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world," Bolesta says. "They don't want to spend 'em. They want to save 'em. I've been doing this since I started the company. So I'm thinking, 'I'll stage my little comic protest. I'll pay the $114 with $2 bills.'"

At Best Buy, they may have perceived the protest -- but did not sense the comic aspect of 57 $2 bills.

"I'm just here to pay the bill," Bolesta says he told a cashier. "She looked at the $2 bills and told me, 'I don't have to take these if I don't want to.' I said, 'If you don't, I'm leaving. I've tried to pay my bill twice. You don't want these bills, you can sue me.' So she took the money. Like she's doing me a favor."

He remembers the cashier marking each bill with a pen. Then other store personnel began to gather, a few of them asking, "Are these real?"

"Of course they are," Bolesta said. "They're legal tender."

A Best Buy manager refused comment last week. But, according to a Baltimore County police arrest report, suspicions were roused when an employee noticed some smearing of ink. So the cops were called in. One officer noticed the bills ran in sequential order.

"I told them, 'I'm a tour operator. I've got thousands of these bills. I get them from my bank. You got a problem, call the bank,'" Bolesta says. "I'm sitting there in a chair. The store's full of people watching this. All of a sudden, he's standing me up and handcuffing me behind my back, telling me, 'We have to do this until we get it straightened out.'

"Meanwhile, everybody's looking at me. I've lived here 18 years. I'm hoping my kids don't walk in and see this. And I'm saying, 'I can't believe you're doing this. I'm paying with legal American money.'"

Bolesta was then taken to the county police lockup in Cockeysville, where he sat handcuffed to a pole and in leg irons while the Secret Service was called in.

"At this point," he says, "I'm a mass murderer."

Finally, Secret Service agent Leigh Turner arrived, examined the bills and said they were legitimate, adding, according to the police report, "Sometimes ink on money can smear."

This will be important news to all concerned.

For Baltimore County police, said spokesman Bill Toohey, "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."

The other day, one of Bolesta's sons needed a few bucks. Bolesta pulled out his wallet and "whipped out a couple of $2 bills. But my son turned away. He said he doesn't want 'em any more."

He's seen where such money can lead.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    Wow, congrats Best Buy. Not only is your staff made up of a bunch of idiots, but you also screw over people on pricing strategies.

I know that I've had a run-in or two with them. Nothing to this extreme, though.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    Funny and sad at the same time...

Credits
    I always wondered why the States didn't have $2 bills not knowing they do exist. One thing I hate about going to the States and shopping is getting all those $1 bills in change. You'd think they'd be more widely used. We have $2 currency (first bills, now coins) and it makes life easier. I hope Best Buy does something for this guy.

Credits
    Yeah, Best Buy. Not the best PR work on this one.

I see where you are coming from on the $2 bill front, chernabog. I love them. Not only are they more visually appealing than the $1, but they do save space in the ol' wallet. My take on the whole thing is that the $2 bill isn't widely used because of space in cashier registers. Most are built for 1-20. However, there is another slot that could be used for a $2. However, most stores use that for checks.

I still am in favor of abolishing the penny, even if it could put the economy out of whack due to the rounding of cents.

Credits

Enough said.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    That's great!

Credits
    Oh my god.... That is ****ing rediculous.

Credits
    wtf ...?? "post 9/11 world " ???? talk about a lame excuse. i personally do not know any terrorists, but i can't see them going to Best Buy and using $2 to pay for ANYTHING !! what a bunch of f---ups.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."

thats the excuse everyone in America including the US Gov't and Hollywood... will use for all future actions.... lol...

here in Europe, paper EURO starts with 5 Euro

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    I plan to really buy a car with a briefcase full of money notes. Its legal but I'd love to see the reaction. So far.... i'm saving up!
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    That is insane...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trailergod
    thats the excuse everyone in America including the US Gov't and Hollywood... will use for all future actions.... lol...
    Yes, and I'm getting tired of hearing it.

It happened, it's been almost 4 years.... stop trying to use it as an excuse for being an idiot.

Credits
    This guy will have a wonderful settlement.