Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Post Women Action Heros!

I am studyin Media at A-Level and one of I disagreeignments is to reaserch on women action heros. In particular Angleina Jolie as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider, Do you think that Angelina Jolie was effective as an action hero? Do you think women in general make good action heros in Film? Are women only used as action heros for men to look at?

Thanks for your time, i look forward to hearing your opinions!

Credits
    An interesting question. I don't think woman in action roles are for men. I watched an interview with Amanda Tapping (Samantha Carter from Stagate: SG-1) which of course her role is an action one which she said that woman at conventions come upto her and say "thank you" for showing a strong dominate woman in a strong role and saying as well "you inspired me to be a better person" which in turn, made Amanda Tapping feel for them and more devotion to her role as Samantha Carter.

Another role is Jennifer Garner. Watching Daredevil and Elektra she sure fits the role of action hero but in Alias she surely kicks butt. I haven't seen Mr&Mrs Smith but looks like Jolie has a good action role in that aside from Tomb Raider.

In all, I think woman make great action roles because it shows that extra something of an individual being more stronger than the odds.
    Last edited by Kn'thrak; 06-01-2005 at 08:47 AM.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Action hero are are seen as fit individual, whether the individual is a man or a woman. I believe that Angelina was indeed a great portrayal of Lara Croft. Besides looking fit, she showed a lot of courage and assertiveness. I believe it's more in the way they act rather than the way they look that make them into action heros. Sure their physical appearance rakes up the big $$$ from the men, but the idea of women as action hero, who can do things many ordinary people can't do is what makes these characters more attractive than anything. (Not gender specific though).
    In truth I think the subject about gender differences in society, has been long studied and it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm not a woman, so I guess I can't see what the big deal is.
    "We are men of action, lies do not become us."

Link to my top 20 movies

Credits
    One of the oddities about women action heroes is that in movies, they tend to be a little "too good". Take for example, Jolie's Lara Croft, who is more than a match for any man. While I'm all for equality between genders, that doesn't mean that every female action hero needs to be invincible. At least the male action heroes tend to get knocked around a little before saving the day.

Anyway, I hope this gives you a paragraph to write about
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    I also had to study this for my media studies in college... and i basically remember a main point that my lecturer mentioned.. which was that.. most of these movies give the female the dominant role.. yet they always balance this in a covert way, e.g In Tomb Raider lara croft, she plays the opposition of the feminist role.. yet at the end she still resorts to wearing a red dress to please the men.. and so on.... similarly.. Charlies Angels.... are ...Charlies... hence all 3 strong women are under the control of 1 mastermind MAN.

There wiked as main action characters... but to shake off this idealism of 'feminism' is a tough one!

Credits
    I always thought Ripley (Signourey Weaver) was the original female action hero. And an appropriate one too. No sexy costumes to turn guys on. Truthfully, I respect big female stars who are more into their acting rather than their looks.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Red Sonja
    Briggite Nielsen hehe (although she's like a giant among women)

Credits
    Geena Davis in The Long Kiss Goodnight as well. She kicked @ss! Awesome movie

Credits
    What about Anne Lewis from Robocop 1 (mostly), and Robocop 2. She was a good, strong action hero, and a great role model for women in action films. Good, wholesome American gal, who can take charge and fight like the best of 'em!

--Dan

Credits
    angelina jolie kicked *** in "Mr & Mrs Smith" too!!! kickd Brad's asss lol!

Credits
    I would agree with above mentioned Amanda Tapping (from SG-1), as being a strong postive female action character. Ripley is also one of them. And to lesser extent also Gena Davin in Long Kiss goddnight. I would have to say that characters with lots of spirit and character is good "rolemodels". And very important (perhaps most important) is that they have a personality. Somehting i think Lara croft and other female action heros (for men) lacks.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Well I have to say Jolie scares me, she could really kick my ***

I think Jennifer Garner is a perfect woman for Hollywood. She's tough but cute and sexy.
    Being a guy I can tell you men are filthy pigs that will always look at actresses as eye candy in a movie. It won't change SO you need women who are good to look at AND don't take **** from guys.

My favorite such actress is Diane Farr from the TV shows The Job and Rescue Me, she's a pretty girl firefighter. That's hot, literally.

Credits
    A truly good female action star is as Amanda Tapping described, but the word "strong" does not mean the character loses their femininity. Samantha Carter is a great example as is Trinity (The Matrix) - both strong, positive female leads that are still women.

The question with Angelia Jolie as Lara Croft was if the movies were marketed exclusively to men, and looking back I think they were. Men worldwide are gradually migrating to the sexy woman that could kick your a**.

Zoe (Gina Torres) from the upcoming Serenity, I am hoping (with the only evidence being Firefly) that the character will be a strong female lead, a woman that can kick your a**, but is still a woman.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits

Talking

Carrie-Ann Moss as Trinity from the Matrix Trilogy is my favorite.
    There really IS something about a good looking woman who can kick my a** that is VERY appealing.

"Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. You heard me rapping, Right?"

Credits
    I did this in my first year in Media Studies at college as well. I used the Birde in Kill Bill as an example of a strong female character who wasn't there to look good and didn't need a guy to help her.

Some may say woman are used to look good for the men but I guess the same could be said of some men, Indiana Jones, James Bond are seen as sex symbols to women.

But if you need any ideas for stong females try:
    Thelma and Louise
    Alien (for Ripley)
    Kill Bill (For the bride)
    Batman Returns (For catwoman)
    Also you could mention Buffy the vampire slayer

I would also recommend you mention how the women in James Bond movies have changed, they are much stronger nowadays then they use to be.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast