Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Celebrity love gives Hollywood a headache

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050608/...lebrities_dc_1

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Call it Hollywood's summer of tough love.

In a season full of expensive action movies, the love lives of celebrities -- Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes -- are giving Hollywood executives their biggest headaches and sending the stars headlong into damage control.

The stakes are huge for the studios with $100 million-plus film production costs and the stars who could see millions cut from future paychecks if their careers start to slide.

In an unusual move, Jolie's attorney asked reporters attending a news conference this week to sign broad agreements saying that her comments would "not be used in a manner that is disparaging, demeaning or derogatory." The proposed pact threatened legal action for violating its terms.

Jolie stars in this Friday's thriller "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" alongside Brad Pitt with whom she has been romantically linked in numerous news and magazine stories.

The actress has denied intimacy with Pitt, who is in the midst of a divorce with his wife, actress Jennifer Aniston. At the news conference, Jolie did not discuss her relationship with her co-star but did speak out about the publicity.

"Certainly, this one has been ridiculous in how much attention has been paid," she said.

When asked how about their onscreen chemistry, Pitt went on a comic riff about the film's other star, Vince Vaughn, saying the energy between them "was palpable" and later adding Vaughn was a "handsome, handsome fellow. Tender lover."

"Mr. & Mrs. Smith" is being released by Twentieth Century Fox at an estimated cost of around $100 million to make. Fox declined to comment about its marketing efforts.

FEAR OF ANOTHER 'GIGLI'

Whether the few public words about their romance helps or hurts "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" awaits the weekend box office reports, but it may only fuel the desire to see the movie because it feeds into the film's themes. Beyond its gun-toting action, the movie truly deals with a couple falling in and out of love.

Still, no studio executive, producer, actor or actress wants their film to suffer the fate of 2003 romance "Gigli," which bombed at box offices after all the publicity surrounding the romance of its stars, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez.

Several Hollywood publicists say Paramount Pictures, which is releasing "The War of the Worlds" this month starring Tom Cruise, is worried about whether negative stories over Cruise's manic confession of love for Holmes on The Oprah Winfrey Show will hurt the nearly $130 million film.

During the interview last month with the talk show host, Cruise became giddy when asked about Holmes. He jumped onto Oprah's couch, then ran backstage to get his girlfriend and bring her out shouting, "I love this woman."

A Paramount spokeswoman denied the speculation saying, "Not at all, we're happy for him." Cruise spokeswoman Lee Anne DeVette, the star's sister, was not immediately available.

Likewise, Holmes stars in the June 15 release of "Batman Begins," a movie that cost between $120 million and $130 million and is being released by Warner Bros.

A Warner Bros. spokeswoman declined to comment on the Cruise/Holmes affair and its impact on the film.

Veteran celebrity handlers said the publicity should help Holmes' star rise, but Cruise had risked a backlash after the publicity-savvy actor uncharacteristically lost his cool on Oprah.

Recent polls in People magazine and US Weekly, showed that more than 60 percent of those responding thought the romance was a publicity stunt to promote upcoming films.

This past weekend at a taping of the MTV Movie Awards, Cruise curtailed his emotions onstage by embracing Holmes slightly and accepting an award with a serious speech that contrasted sharply to the irreverent mood of the awards show.

Twentieth Century Fox is a unit of News Corp Ltd., Paramount is part of Viacom Inc. and Warner Bros. is a division of Time Warner Inc.

Reuters, which attended the media event for "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," did not sign the initially proposed agreement regarding the treatment of Jolie's remarks.

The news agency signed an amended letter saying in part that it would not use the interview in a defamatory manner.

ok... Why the fack is Mr. and Ms Smith so expensive !!!!!!!!! did Brad and Jolie each get $40M ?!?!?!?!
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Probably. Of that $100 million I wonder how much went to Pitt, Jolie, and Vaughn. Plus it probably costs a lot of money to blow sh*t up.

Credits

in that same vein....

Kidman Warns Cruise and Holmes About Publicity Stunts
    Oscar-winning actress Nicole Kidman has warned her ex-husband Tom Cruise to avoid photographic publicity stunts with his new girlfriend Katie Holmes because it makes their romance look fake. Polls in US magazines People and Us Weekly show a majority of both publications' readers are skeptical about the sincerity of the Hollywood couple's relationship, because both Cruise and Holmes have films released this month - Cruise stars in War Of The Worlds, while Holmes is in Batman Begins. And Cold Mountain star Kidman fears the new couple's carefully prepared photo opportunities are doing nothing to convince cynics their relationship is real. She tells style magazine Vanity Fair, "In terms of your life, if you start to exploit it, then what's real, and what's not? What's yours, and what isn't?" Kidman and Cruise ended their 10-year marriage in 2001.
    Bale Calls for Batman Sex Scenes
    Batman Begins star Christian Bale is urging producers to release two versions of the next Batman movie, so that the Caped Crusader's sexuality can be explored. The actor, who has already signed up to star in a second Batman movie, believes it's time for the powers that be to show the comic book superhero's R-rated side, while also releasing a film for younger fans. Bale says, "I do think there is a lot of room for, like, an R-rated Batman. It's a little bit tricky to broach the sex aspect of the story when you want kids to come see this as well. I mean, we still like for a 12-year-old to come see it and enjoy it. I think it would be very interesting, myself, to do maybe one version, which can be both PG-13 and R - two different cuts of it. The (Batman) graphic novel certainly dove into his private life because it's fascinating. He's got to do something sexual at some point. I think it could be an interesting storyline to take somewhere."
    Holmes Prompts Cruise Marriage Rumors
    Katie Holmes has prompted rumors she and new boyfriend Tom Cruise are planning to marry - after refusing to rule out a wedding. The pair have only been dating since April, but have already professed their love on national TV - Cruise famously atop talk show queen Oprah Winfrey's sofa. And Holmes won't deny increasing reports they are actually engaged. When quizzed, she says, "Look I can't lie. We have to talk about that, Tom and I. But it just makes me smile when you ask about that. I'm so happy. I'm thrilled. I'm so in love with Tom and that's all I care about. He's just the most amazing man in the whole world." And of Cruise's bizarre appearance of Winfrey's show, she adds, "I sat there and I was, like, I'm the luckiest woman in the whole world."
    Pitt Disgusted by Photo Payment
    Brad Pitt was dismayed to discover photos of his Kenyan beach holiday with alleged lover Angelina Jolie earned a persistent photographer in excess of $500,000 - because the money could have been much better spent. In an explosive and candid interview with newswoman Diane Sawyer on Primetime Live, which was broadcast in America last night, the movie hunk admits he would have set up the shots himself if he knew the snaps would be so lucrative. He told Sawyer, "It's amazing, the bounty that is on my head and the lengths that these people go to to get these shots, and the amount of money that they're paying for these shots. It's something like half a million dollars or three quarter of a million dollars for the shots. I can't help but think what that money could have gone to. Hell, I would have set up the damn pictures myself."
    taken from imdb.com
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson