Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    A little more on Mr. Jackson's involvement - from scifiwire (note: article has a few things already mentioned, but offers a few more details which I've highlighted in bold)

I do expect this to be THE big movie of summer 2007

Peter Jackson, who directed of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the upcoming remake of King Kong, will serve as executive producer of the upcoming film based on Microsoft's blockbuster Halo video game, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Jackson's wife and partner Fran Walsh, who served as writer and producer on his previous films, will co-executive-produce under the team's WingNut films banner. Jackson's New Zealand-based Weta companies will also provide creatures, miniatures and visual effects for the production.

Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox, the companies behind the project, hope to be in production in the spring with an eye toward a summer 2007 release, the trade paper reported. Prior to Jackson's involvement, Microsoft hired Alex Garland (28 Days Later) to write the screenplay and will have its own consultants on the production, along with the game's developer, Bungie Studios. An announcement about the film's director is expected soon.

"As a gaming fan, I'm excited to bring Halo's premise, action and settings to the screen with all the specificity and reality today's technology can provide," Jackson said. "Fran and I are intrigued by the unique challenges this project offers, and we're delighted to be working again with our friends at Universal, and with our new ones at Fox and Microsoft. I'm a huge fan of the game and look forward to helping it come alive on the cinema screen."

The movie will be shot entirely in the New Zealand capital of Wellington, with a budget of more than $100 million, the trade paper reported. Universal Pictures will handle domestic distribution and Fox will distribute internationally.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    Oh no, Jackson better not recycle any LotR **** here. If Elijah Wood is cast as the Master Chief, heads will roll. Turn Halo into Middle Earth, recast some hobbits, done deal.lol

Credits

Exclamation HALO director is...

Neill Blomkamp

Not a sick joke. Just a FACT. What has he ever done?
    Citroen advert!!

and then just some short movies. He´s nuts in robots as far as I can tell

Live in Joburg

Tempbot (I really do like this one)
    http://www.badongo.net/vid/32195 (fill numbers and get DL)

Showreel
    http://www.rsafilms.com/reelPopupMov...&num=1&qual=hi
    (might control referer)

What dya think? I like those shorties, yes, I do...but give such a hyped and HUUUGE project to debuting director? DAMN MICROSOFT
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

j7wild Guest
    I cannot even pronounce his last name!

Credits
    I thought Peter Jackson was going to direct it
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    Now we know, that he'll be only producer.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir01 View Post
    Now we know, that he'll be only producer.
    yes, and there was something about the special effects company that worked on LotR, too. they're in if I'm not mistaken.

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    Yes. Weta. This is good news.

Credits
    Dam, I hope for Uwe Boll. This s**ks.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by st39.6 View Post
    Neill Blomkamp

Not a sick joke. Just a FACT. What has he ever done?
    Citroen advert!!

and then just some short movies. He´s nuts in robots as far as I can tell

Live in Joburg

Tempbot (I really do like this one)
    http://www.badongo.net/vid/32195 (fill numbers and get DL)

Showreel
    http://www.rsafilms.com/reelPopupMov...&num=1&qual=hi
    (might control referer)

What dya think? I like those shorties, yes, I do...but give such a hyped and HUUUGE project to debuting director? DAMN MICROSOFT

Every one of those was fantastic.
    I loved Tempbot and the Showreel was very impressive.

The guy definitely has talent.

Not sure what to expect from the Halo movie, but I'd much rather someone like this direct than a Spielberg or Howard.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Pierre Bazinet View Post
    Every one of those was fantastic.
    I loved Tempbot and the Showreel was very impressive.

The guy definitely has talent.

Not sure what to expect from the Halo movie, but I'd much rather someone like this direct than a Spielberg or Howard.
    if it's this guy's first feature length film and Peter Jackson is producing, I'm sure Jackon will serve as a guide along the way if he ever gets confused on how to proceed.

Credits
    Show reel DL (of course use rsafilms as referer)
    http://www.rsafilms.com/upload/Direc...ay_BbandHi.mov

Credits

Major "Halo" financiers pull out of project

From SCIFIwire

In a surprise move, both Universal and Fox have pulled out of their agreement to co-finance a movie version of Microsoft's Halo SF video game, Variety reported. Rumors had circulated that the studios were concerned over a budget that was rising above the original projected $135 million pricetag. But the filmmakers said the double defection came after Universal and Fox played hardball and unsuccessfully tried to get the filmmakers and Microsoft to reduce their profit participation, the trade paper reported.

The studios made the pay cut demand as an Oct. 15 deadline approached. On that day Microsoft was to have received the bulk of a promised $5 million upfront payday. The software giant also stood to receive 10 percent of gross revenues for rights to the game and a script by Alex Garland, the trade paper reported.

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh were on board as executive producers. They denied through representatives rumors that the budget had ballooned to around $200 million, Variety reported. Mary Parent, Scott Stuber and Peter Schlessel are producers.

Microsoft is already in talks with other distribution partners. Prep work on the film continues. Most of the preproduction is being done at Jackson and Walsh's visual-effects studios in New Zealand, Weta Digital and Weta Workshop.

As word of the Universal and Fox exit spread, speculation centered around the inexperience of Halo director Neill Blomkamp, a 27-year-old first-time feature director.

Universal is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM; on Oct. 19, NBC Universal announced plans to cut 700 employees, or 5 percent of its global workforce.
    Looks like a coporate profit move!

...anyway -- fear not, the story says pre-production will continue. I wonder if arch-rival Sony will jump on board, or in MS will just finance it themselves.

Credits
    would be funny is New Line picked this up and again made a major success with Halo as it did with LotR from other studios not picking it up! HA!
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

j7wild Guest
    only 200 million?

I'll finance it for them!!

Who wants to pitch in?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast