Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Post Alice In Wonder Death Land

This is an article done by Frodo at MovieGoo.com about a possible "American McGee's Alice".

<A HREF="http://moviegoo.tripod.com">MovieGoo.com</A>

"American McGee's Alice". Or more commonly referred to as just plain "Alice". This game is widely acknowledged to be one of the most messed up PC games in existence. Brought to you by the lazy bums at MovieGoo, we present the first full-blown special on the upcoming film "Alice".

Everyone knows the charming tale of a young girl who follows a white rabbit down a hole to emerge into the delightfully mad Wonderland. Everyone's seen the Disney cartoon. But American McGee is the first to realize the tale of Alice for what it really is. A neurotic hallucinating girl delves deep into her own f*ed up mind and slowly edges closer to insanity. The game "American McGee's Alice" is based ten years after the events of "Through the Looking Glass", and Alice is currently being held in a mental institution. No one believes that her trip was real. But luckily, she is given the chance to return to her mad little world. But now Wonderland is a twisted, disturbing echo of its former self, bent to the will of the deranged Queen of Hearts.

Now that the tale of Alice has been told, we can move on to the focus of this special, which is the movie based on the classic game. The date is December 6th, 2000, two days before my 15th birthday, and the eagerly anticipated "American McGee's Alice" has reached stores. That same day, news is heard that the game is being developed into a movie by Dimension Films. Wes Craven, so-called master horror film maker has been attached to direct from the very beginning. Craven has been slipping these past few years, going from bad filmmaker to terrible filmmaker, but perhaps he can save his awful career with "Alice".

The film was rumored to be renamed "Dark Wonderland", but writer John August blew away that rumor early on in production. August, who was thought to be the screenwriter for the film, only turned in a 20-page adaption. Jon and Erich Hoeber are the true screenwriters, which has brought August's adaption in to question as to it's whereabouts. Rumor has it that Natalie Portman was being eyed to play Alice, which would not seem so far fetched seeing that Portman and American McGee's rendition of the adult Alice are strikingly similar. Further rumors had Heather Donahue of "The Blair Witch Project" fame portraying Alice, which would not be a bad decision, seeing as how Donahue has experience in the realm of the insane. However, her near no-name status would prevent her from competing heavily against Portman.

Another female lead to the list, Eliza Dushku, known for her roles in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Bring It On", has been looked at by the people heading the film, but nothing has been done to pursue her. It was on January 2nd, 2002 that Dimension Films and Wes Craven each made one very dumb decision. Craven made public his opinion that the movie should be done completely in CGI (think "Final Fantasy"). This decision, while not bad for films like "Final Fantasy" can mean certain death for a film dependent on psychotic imagery to scare the audience, as well as hurt it's initial opening for lack of real life actors with which to identify with. Dimension Films' mistake, while simpler, is much more impacting. They planned to release the film as 'PG-13', totally destroying the level of insanity that Alice can reach. The game, rated 'M' for Mature (the pictures were made before it's official ESRB rating was given), was so twisted and psychotic, it could only be faithfully translated as an 'R'-rated feature.

The most recent news, reaching us on the 8th of August, was that Milla Jovovich ("Resident Evil" & "The Fifth Element") had an interest in playing the role of Alice, leaving doubt as to the credibility of Wes Craven's earlier statements that the film would be done in CGI. It was not elaborated on as to whether Jovovich had an interest in playing Alice onscreen or as a voice of the animated character.

So the film "Alice" had huge potential to be a blockbuster, but because of the poor choice in director and rating and potentially poor choices in medium and casting, the film will in my opinion, flop. Of course, I could be wrong, in fact, I hope I'm wrong, because I'm a fan of "Alice", and I plan to watch the movie, no matter how bad it may be. Still, like any film still in it's script stage, it has the possibility of doing a 180 and casting Natalie Portman and filming live. Only problem is, it's STILL in it's script stage, after over a year and a half. When will these companies realize that I should make all films that get theatrical realeases?

Credits
    hey..... i have this PC game.... and i like it very much.. very twisted :big grin:
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

Cool

I loved the game too. A movie would be awesome !

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Wink

Originally posted by Tony
    A movie would be awesome!
    Tim Burton for Director!

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    Speaking as the guy who wrote the article, I'd like to elaborate that I too believe Tim Burton would make an excellent director for the film, though it might be interesting to let a newbie try it out as well, instead of The Master of Crap Wes Craven.

Also, Movie-Wizard, you use my articles again, and I'll do something harmful involving shoving a rubber chicken into very tight holes: :butt:
    "You almost became a Jill sandwich." - Barry, Resident Evil

Credits

Arrow Alice (2007)

This movie is in a development hell. IMDb indicates that it is being in production.

Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar as Alice.

Links:

- Wikipedia: American McGee's Alice, the game
    - American McGee's blog

Credits
    how did you even dig this thread up? hahaha, didn't know you could search this many years back!

:-)

j7wild Guest
    I've been waiting for this movie for years and I still have the game; best PC game I played in 2000!!

Last I heard it's still Sarah Michelle Gellar but nowadays, who knows?

Credits

Smile American McGee's Alice movie

Yes, very good game j7wild.

To Jake: Well, I was looking for info on Wikipedia about the Linux version of Quake 4. Then I found articles about another games (like Doom) and then I found info about American McGee's Alice.

Then I found the info about the movie, first in Wikipedia and later checked on IMDb, I checked here with the site's search function and then I found this thread. So I put something to give continuity to this thread (at least, nothing was said about Sarah Michelle Gellar).

j7wild Guest
    yeah I had to buy a whole new Video Card and more Ram just to be able to play this game on my Pentium 3 733Mhz PC that I had at the time but it was worth it!!