Thanks Thanks:  1
    Credits

Computer Problem

Ok, here goes.

Last week, my computer crashed and after calling technical support, it turns out that I had a corrupt file (or so they tell me). So now I have Windows back up and running, I downloaded a new version of McAfee Virus scan, just in case of viruses and stuff. The only problem now is, that when I start up windows it takes FOREVER to get past the welcome screen. It says Windows is now starting up and stays on that screen for ALOT longer than what it used to. Also, when I try to go to a website that has a lot of pictures, half of the pictures don't load (using IE). And another thing, too, is that when I try to click on Control Panel and go to Add/Remove Programs, it immediately says that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem. Also, my BearShare program (file-sharing for those who don't know) stays on for about 10 min. then says that it encounters a problem. Anyone know what's going on here? Things were fine two weeks ago and all of a sudden, BOOM, nothing works the way it use to. On a side note, when I use AOL, everything works perfectly. I thought I had a problem with IE and when I tried to reinstall it, it says a previous version needs to finish being reinstalled, but the Windows Installer never pops up for it, just an installer for Works 2002 that I never took off and can't seem to get rid of. Can someone help me please?

P.S. How hard would it be to install a new, upgraded processor in my laptop? I don't feel like sending it off to have someone do it in 5 min. and charge me $100 for it.
    Clark Kent is who I am. Superman is what I can do.

Credits
    You probley need to format your hardrive, or remove norton it is known to slow down computers alot.
    Last edited by Inzane; 10-11-2005 at 03:58 PM.

j7wild Guest
    get rid of AOL too, it's evil spyware

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane
    You probley need to format your hardrive, or remove norton it is known to slow down computers alot.

Yeah, but I have McAfee, or will that slow down my computer, too?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal-el
    Yeah, but I have McAfee, or will that slow down my computer, too?
    Yeah that one should be removed youll notice your computer alot faster in booting up and navigation.

The speed of your computer can also be determined from how mutch ram your packing.

Credits
    Thread Moved
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    If you're running XP, you might be able to do a System Restore (back to the date you remember it still working).

You *could* try re-installing windows over your current install (which would allow you to keep all your program settings), but I haven't had much luck with this in the past.

Your best bet is to format and reinstall windows. I try to do this every year or so, and always notice a major improvement in system speed.

If you're upgrading processors, make sure you know what you have and what you're getting. Most processor upgrades also require a new motherboard (sometimes new RAM, new videocard, etc.)
    The installation itself isn't very difficult.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Lightbulb

& also try other browser than IE.
    I prefer Mozilla FireFox (v1.0.7 now)

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

also run some anti-spyware programs like:

ad-aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    spybot: search & destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    spy sweeper
    http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/spysweeper

U might have a lot spyware on computer & this slows computer A LOT...

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    A complete full format is fix anything. Most likely a problem is something on your harddrive that is causing this. I recommend NO third party programs of any kind that require the addition settings of your PC. This means, no anti-virus, spyware/anti and browsers. Run a clean machine and it will work. I do and having zero problems with it. Loading is only like 30 secs too.
    The problem with alot of laptops is that it requires its manufactures settings so if its a labelled laptop, then install whatever software it came with... that means the OS you got with it too. Same goes with upgrading.