Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Lightbulb George Takei of Star Trek (Captain Sulu) is gay

A bit of a suprise...

From Scifiwire

George Takei, best known as Capt. Hikaru Sulu in the Star Trek movies, has told the Los Angeles gay/lesbian magazine Frontiers that he is gay. Takei, a Los Angeles-based actor who is also a community activist, made the revelation in an interview published this week.

"It's not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through," Takei, 68, told the magazine. "It's more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen. And then some doors are open, and light comes in, and there are skylights, and it widens."

Takei said that he has been in a relationship for 18 years with a man he identifies as "Brad," but that this is the first time he's spoken publicly about his homosexuality. He also admitted that he continues to have problems with his family as a result of being gay.

"I've not had a good experience with one sibling," Takei said. "And I won't be specific, because it's still a problem. My mother, initially, had some adjustments to make, but she got to like Brad very much. She got Alzheimer's, and it got very difficult for her, so we moved her in with us. Brad was wonderful. He was a saint. It's very difficult when you're dealing with someone with Alzheimer's. And some of the stages were ... horrific. And Brad helped throughout that. She was with us for the last four years of her life. And I owe so much to him."
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    so what ...

Credits
    nothing we don't know here

Credits
    one of my dad's fav charactors in any movie. He is going to be shocked when I wake him up with this news
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Takei is gay, I'm 1\4 Brittish, who cares.
    "They took the sky, but we're still flyin..."

Movieman's DVDanswers.com Review Page

Credits
    I think its interesting that someone being gay still is considered news.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits

Thumbs up

After reading the comments in this thread, I began thinking isn't it great how far the western world has come in the acceptance of homosexuality. Perhaps certain segments of society still do not approve, but in the end people are no longer afraid to be who they are.

Credits
    If a magazine talks about Richard Simmons being heterosexual. I'm definitely interested... :-P

So nothing's wrong with gay..
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

j7wild Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radstar
    If a magazine talks about Richard Simmons being heterosexual. I'm definitely interested... :-P

So nothing's wrong with gay..
    you mean Richard Simmons is not straight?

OMG!!

j7wild Guest
    well George is gonna tie the knot:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/9db5...7_5fe4fadaff1a

was he gay when he was on Star Trek TOS?

is that why I never seen him with a female (both human and alien) in any of the episodes?

Credits
    what is with bumping old threads ?? this is like the 3rd one from 2005 i've seen so far....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post

was he gay when he was on Star Trek TOS?

is that why I never seen him with a female (both human and alien) in any of the episodes?
    Supposedly he was not. In the movie Star Trek:Generations it opens up on the new Enterprise with his daughter at the helm.

j7wild Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by red bear View Post
    what is with bumping old threads ?? this is like the 3rd one from 2005 i've seen so far....
    because of the above Yahoo News I posted that was on Yahoo yesterday and I did a search first and found this related thread.