A bit of a suprise...

From Scifiwire

George Takei, best known as Capt. Hikaru Sulu in the Star Trek movies, has told the Los Angeles gay/lesbian magazine Frontiers that he is gay. Takei, a Los Angeles-based actor who is also a community activist, made the revelation in an interview published this week.

"It's not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through," Takei, 68, told the magazine. "It's more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen. And then some doors are open, and light comes in, and there are skylights, and it widens."

Takei said that he has been in a relationship for 18 years with a man he identifies as "Brad," but that this is the first time he's spoken publicly about his homosexuality. He also admitted that he continues to have problems with his family as a result of being gay.

"I've not had a good experience with one sibling," Takei said. "And I won't be specific, because it's still a problem. My mother, initially, had some adjustments to make, but she got to like Brad very much. She got Alzheimer's, and it got very difficult for her, so we moved her in with us. Brad was wonderful. He was a saint. It's very difficult when you're dealing with someone with Alzheimer's. And some of the stages were ... horrific. And Brad helped throughout that. She was with us for the last four years of her life. And I owe so much to him."