Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Question A High Tension Question

*WARNING THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUIN YOUR MOVIE VIEWING EXPERIENCE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER. THIS QUESTION IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SEEN THE FILM "HIGH TENSION"...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

so my question is how can "the killer" and the blonde girl be the same person? I don't by into that "she has multiple personalities" that in itself does not make sense. If indeed she was the killer how can she be in 2 places at once?

First off how can she be the killer at the front door of the farm house ringing the door bell when she is actually upstairs listening to music and...um double clicking her mouse

how can she be the killer and shoot her friends little brother if she is actually in her friends room on the bed trying to get the chains off her friend.

how can she be the killer if she enters the gas station and the guy behind the counter sees her and talks to her before "the killer" actually walks in and talks to the guy behind the counter "himself"

how can she be the killer if the gas station guy gives her a "don't worry everything is going to be ok" type of wink when he is busy distracting "the killer" at the liquor cabinet before he is killed and "the killer" remarks "who are you looking at?"

how can she be the killer if she is driving the yellow and black car because if she is killer who is driving the truck? also if she is the killer who is driving the truck in the first place specially when she is locked in the back with her friend?

what about the scene in the bathrooms, who tried to suffocate her with the plastic, who did she hit in the face with the "barbwire bat" herself? do you see where I'm going with this? can anyone who seen this film give any type of insight.

Credits
    i have a better question...

what about the opening when you see the truck for the first and the guy gets a blowjob?

yeah the film has never answered how this all worked.

Credits
    I've listened to many interviews with the director and he stated that the film isn't supposed to make sense because it is being told from the perspective of the killer. She hadn't made the distinction between the two people. So, in her convoluted mind, she made up seeing the murders from a different perspective. I thought of it as an out of body experience for her.

The director also said that he doesn't think that the reversal really works. He's not a huge fan of it but was really pushed into it by the executive producer and distributor, Luc Besson (who is surprisingly not even mentioned in the Region 1 packaging!). Besson read the script (which was supposed to end with Marie watching the gas station tape and crying at the reveal) and then forced the director to make the reveal the opening of the third act. While the director was greatful for Besson's money, he was forced into doing this.

It's my belief that the reversal probably would have been removed from the final version of the film, if Besson was not involved. However, that could have meant that High Tension wouldn't have gotten its wide release and many of us may have never seen it.

I've also read that the director, after seeing the film with numerous audiences, would have now preferred to have made the film as a stright survival horror flick (ala Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) without any reversal at the end. I wish he had.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkShed
    I've listened to many interviews with the director and he stated that the film isn't supposed to make sense because it is being told from the perspective of the killer....
    yes it would have made more sense if she wasn't the killer but by making her the killer it is like saying that Laurie Strode is Michael Myers or that Erin (Jessica Biel) is Leatherface or even Clarice Starling is Hannibal Lecter its that type of reasoning that makes the film not make any sense. It was actually a good movie until they did the the reveal of who the killer actually was and it left me with a "What...but...? " type of expression and though process becasue it would be impossible for them to be the same person.

Credits
    I totally agree. I read a review once that told people to stop the film once the police arrive at the gas station.

It kinda works, but it also gives a middle finger to the survival horror subgenre that I mentioned earlier. I'm getting really tired of the multiple personality twist. It's getting really old. It was surprising in Fight Club, but no where else.

Credits
    I didn't even like it in Fight Club either when they reviled that it was the same person then it became stupid there also. I can handle the multiple personality stuff if it is presented is a way that makes sense for example take The Green Goblin/Norman Osborn or even Smeagol/Gollum there is 2 personalitys up there fighting for dominance and usually the good fails and the evil takes over and does evil things with out the goodside knowing it but in the end you are still left with one character and it doesn't get confusing and enter the realm of the impossible. It just pisses me off when you have compleatly 2 different people like in this movie and then at the end it goes "HA HA sucker it was the same person all along!" and well that just makes me mad
    Last edited by the_Web_Slinger; 11-06-2005 at 05:07 PM.

Credits
    What I meant to say was that in Fight Club it was actually original. Now, it's derivitive.

j7wild Guest
    The movie had a hold of me; even after they revealed that she and the killer are the same person, I went "Interesting, Now I hope they resolve the ending satisfactory" but then they went and turn the ending into a standard hollywood type horror movie...

too bad.. they could had done something good with it...