Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Talking Jon Stewart to host '06 Academy Awards

From Yahoo!

Sharp-tongued comic Jon Stewart, who regularly skewers politicians and the media as anchor of the satirical television newscast "The Daily Show," was named on Thursday as host of this year's Academy Awards.

It will be the first stint for Stewart, 43, as emcee of the Oscars -- the film industry's highest honors -- and further cements his transformation from a political humorist with a cult TV following into a mainstream entertainer.

The Emmy-winning star of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" hosted the music industry's Grammy Awards in 2001 and 2002.

The choice of Stewart also marks a continuing attempt by the Oscar-sponsoring Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to draw a greater number of young viewers to the show, which last year was hosted by comedian Chris Rock.

Sixty-five percent of Stewart's nightly audience on cable network Comedy Central consists of viewers aged 18 to 49, the group most prized by TV advertisers.

His late-night TV following averages 1.4 million viewers, which is unimpressive compared to prime-time shows on the major networks, but Stewart's show has become hugely influential in politics and the pop culture.

Stewart, who announced his support for Democrat John Kerry in 2004, has become especially popular among liberals for regularly mocking U.S. President George W. Bush as a bungler and the war in Iraq as a giant "Mess O' Potamia."

In a 2004 poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, 21 percent of people aged 18 to 29 cited "The Daily Show" and NBC's "Saturday Night Live" as a regular source of their political news.

'IRREVERENT, FUNNY'

Gil Cates, who will produce the March 5 televised Oscar ceremony, said Stewart was "the epitome of a perfect host -- smart, engaging, irreverent and funny."

Cates denied selecting Stewart in order to give the awards more of a political edge, despite the heavy political overtones of several films seen as potential Oscar contenders this year, including "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Syriana," "Munich" and "The Constant Gardner."

Cates said Stewart's experience as a stand-up comic and his broad knowledge of current events and culture make him ideally suited to handling unscripted moments that inevitably occur in live televised events.

"As a performer, I'm truly honored to be hosting the show," Stewart said in a statement. "Although, as an avid watcher of the Oscars, I can't help but be a little disappointed with the choice. It appears to be another sad attempt to smoke out Billy Crystal."

Crystal, a longtime favorite of Oscar audiences for his deadpan delivery, smooth ad-libs and Hollywood send-ups, last hosted the awards in 2004.

Rock, who hosted for the first time last year, drew younger viewers to the telecast but his biting comments about a number of stars in attendance annoyed some members of the academy.

Stewart joined the "Daily Show" as its host in 1999, replacing Craig Kilborn, and the program has gone on to collect seven Emmys, including the award for best TV variety or musical series for the past three years. He also is executive producer and a co-writer on the show.

The 78th annual Academy Awards will be presented in Hollywood on March 5 by ABC. The show generally ranks as the highest-rated U.S. entertainment telecast of the year. It averaged 42.1 million viewers in the United States last year and is seen by millions more around the globe.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    Who? Looks like the Academy's catering more towards an American audience.

Credits

Arrow

IMDB listing for Mr. Stewart

The Adventures of Tom Thumb & Thumbelina (2002) (V) (voice) .... Godfrey
    Death to Smoochy (2002) .... Marion Frank Stokes
    Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001) .... Reg Hartner
    Committed (2000) (uncredited) .... Birthday Party Guest
    The Office Party (2000) .... Pizza Guy
    "The Daily Show" (1996) TV Series .... Host (1999-)
    Big Daddy (1999) .... Kevin Gerrity
    Playing by Heart (1998) .... Trent
    The Faculty (1998) .... Prof. Edward Furlong
    Since You've Been Gone (1998) (TV) .... Todd Zalinsky
    Half Baked (1998) .... Enhancement Smoker
    Wishful Thinking (1997) .... Henry
    The First Wives Club (1996) (scenes deleted)
    Mixed Nuts (1994) .... Rollerblader

Credits
    I've seen him in some movies but I don't know if he's got the experience for something like this. I don't know I guess we'll see.

As far as the academy being too American, well it is. At least North American (seeing as Canadians are that big chunk of it). Why would the academy care about other countries? This isn't the world movie awards, this is the hollywood movie awards. But you guys can squeeze into the foreign film category hehe.

Credits
    What is the best movie that you think will win in 2008 Academy Awards ?

j7wild Guest
    I should host the Academy Awards;

I will turn it from a 4 hrs long bore into a 4 hrs not long enough exciting show filled with GG Girls!!

I.E. only the Beautiful Actresses and UK Page 3 Girls can be presenters and they must all wear strict GG Girls outfits!!