Credits

The Scorpion King DVD review

i posted this just for radstar:big grin:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/369/369190p1.html

The Video

Earlier this year, Universal released The Fast and the Furious on DVD with an absolutely pristine transfer. This 2.35:1 anamorphic job on The Scorpion King is just as impressive as that DVD.

Pan & Scan this, bitch.

Daytime scenes feature perfect colors and clarity while flesh tones are perfectly natural. The scenes at night feature absolutely perfect blacks and show no compression problems whatsoever. Throughout the entire film transfer doesn't really falter much except for a bit of edge enhancement in several scenes.

This is another one of those transfers that delivers an almost three-dimensional image. The opening fight in the small hut starts things off well, towards the middle of the movie the party stops at this lush oasis that just leaps off the screen, and the final battle on the top of the temple looks incredible with the large flickering flames lighting the entire area.

9 out of 10

The Rock introduces the sorceress to "little rocky". ...

The Audio

With so many extras crammed onto this disc, and with such great video quality, it appears as if Universal simply ran out of space and had to skip out on the DTS mix some people where hoping for. It isn't a huge deal, but DTS fanatics will most likely be quite disappointed.

The Extras

One of the best features on the DVD is a series of alternate scenes that can be viewed on their own or while you view the movie in an "enhanced viewing" mode that works just like all of those "follow the white rabbit" featurettes on other DVDs. When a scimitar appears while you're in the movie, you can press enter to view an alternate version of that specific scene. And unlike many other deleted scenes features on other DVDs, these are actually good and slide in another layer to the thin story that already makes up the flick.
    There are a total of nine alternate scenes and all are presented in non-anamorphic widescreen and in Dolby 5.1. These include an alternate opening scene, but most have to do with a prophecy that was cut out of the movie that had Memnon believing he was the king that was prophesized to rise, but in reality it was Mathayus.

There are two commentary tracks on the disc, but in reality they should have been combined into one. The first is by The Rock, but you can really tell this is his first commentary. There are quite a few long pauses in the track, and when he does speak up it's to usually just point out something he liked about an action sequence. Occasionally he'll offer up a bit of information about the preparation for a certain fight, but it's rare. This track also has an "enhanced viewing mode" where an icon will pop up that lets you know that you can view a clip of The Rock recording this commentary when you press enter on your remote.
    Thankfully, the second commentary is a bit more informative. In it, director Chuck Russell takes us through the movie while dishing up plenty of details about the production. Some of this includes the fact that the entire movie was filmed on location in different parts of California and that some sets from Sparticus were used in the big city scenes. He even called Conan himself (Arnie) before beginning production on The Scorpion King.

With so many pauses in The Rock's track, they should have actually recorded the two at the same time while in the same room. That way, Russell can fill most of the empty space while The Rock is able to pipe up when he wants to.
    After you're done with those original production featurettes, there's a nine-page article on the possibility that there may have been a real "Scorpion King" at sometime in history. Then you can check out the film's trailer in non-anamorphic widescreen video, a short clip of outtakes, Godsmack's "I Stand Alone" music video, a "WWE Legends" trailer, trailers for The Hulk and Taken, and DVD ROM Total Axess features.

Finally, before you start the movie itself, DVD trailers for E.T. and the Back to the Future trilogy are shown. The E.T. one is basically a shorter version of the 20th Anniversary trailer, while the BTTF clip actually shows some footage from the supplemental features on the discs.
    this just an edited version of the review....check the link for the full review
    looks like a fine dvd
    Last edited by trailergod; 08-28-2002 at 01:44 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

:yum:

ahhh you guys are being too good to me.
    and that third pic from the top- man i wish i wuz that girl

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I AM GETTING THIS DVD!! i bought a bootleg copy on DVD a few months ago that's CRAP and i paid 20 bucks for it. :big grin: :big grin: (all that matters to me is seeing the rock in action)
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    hehe radstar... Yea you know iam gona meet him, when he does his new movie here in Hawaii.

Credits
    Originally posted by Movie Wizard
    hehe radstar... Yea you know iam gona meet him, when he does his new movie here in Hawaii.
    what new movie?

yippee... the rock on big screen again! would ya get his autograph and phone number for me? PLEASE?!?!?!

Credits

Lightbulb

when he does his new movie here in Hawaii.
    Thats cool, I heard about him doing another movie but nothing but it being in Hawaii...maybe this is a better reason to go visit Hawaii than just the sake of wanting to go. Get to see 'the Rock'! :butt:

To bad school has started already though So I guess maybe visiting Hawaii wont be much of an option.
    "Ohana means Family. Family means no one gets left behind. Or Forgotten." ~ Lilo and Stitch