Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Best Movie Ratings sites?

You know that IMDb and Amazon have a movie ratings option, but sometimes the ratings dont even match the number of stars a movie gets.
    2 star movie can get a user review like- the best movie ever...or smth like that, and 5 star movie has a review posted next to it that starts- what a waste of time and some other bad stuff...
    So, I've been to several other sites that are focused on rating movies (creating your own ratings profile) and have options like adding friends, and exchanging opinions. Anyone know what the best ones are? Help, please

Credits
    well a 5 star movie should have bad reviews aswell. Just because alot of ppl like a movie dosent mean that those who dont like it should be silenced. Or did I missunderstand you?
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Personally i think its apretty good site. I read some of the 10 star reviews, some of the 1 star and a couple in the middle, and i get a pretty good idea of the movie.

And welcome to the site.

Credits
    [QUOTE=Gaumont]Personally i think its apretty good site. I read some of the 10 star reviews, some of the 1 star and a couple in the middle, and i get a pretty good idea of the movie. [QUOTE]
    Yep, i still like it - great source of information, but ot looks weird - i'm getting a little bit confuesed reading bad stuff about good movies and good things about bad ones... Well, yes. i want to find out somekinda sites with recommendations that i can't trust

Credits
    Well, http://www.rottentomatoes.com is a very good site for reviews I would say. It contains links to editorial reviews of the movies from various sites. It has 3 system of ratings. Firstly, every movie has a percentage rating-the percentage of the thumbs up out of the total no. of reviews. This is helpful in getting a general idea of how the movie stands. Percenatges go from 100% to 0% too(oh yes, there are movies that absolutely nobody likes contrary to general opinion).

Secondly, it rates them as fresh or rotten-that is if its 60% or over, it is fresh otherwise it is rotten. This gives you an instant one dimensional rating of thumbs up or thumbs down. Believe me, most of the rotten movies are not even worth exsisting.

Thirdly, and most importantly, it rates the movies on a scale of 10. This is a near exact evaluation of the film's merit. 8 and above is for very good movies. And above 9 is very rare. The highest I've ever come across is 9.4 for Sunset Boulevard and The Godfather Part II.

So in all, a sexy site with plenty of other features. For every movie, there are list of similar movies(having common cast/crew member or similar theme), links to the filmography of the cast/crew, a short synopsis, MPAA rating, runtime, soundtrack reviews, awards and links, photos, trailer links (these last where available). In general, because the reviews are from reputed guys, (like the Roger Ebert kinds) people agree upon one opinion of a movie unlike scrambled opinions in case of user reviews. There are some minor slips here and there (like Star Wars and My Fair Lady getting meagre 8.1 and 7.7 respectively. ) But overall, once you start using it, it will become your ultimate movie reference guide.

Credits
    Wait...what ML reviews?

Do you mean the ones written by Dean Kish or the rating system above trailers, because that's just for the trailer and not the movie.

Reviews are always misleading and I found myself loving some horribly reviewed movies and vice versa. I know it's not some great world changing advice but I'd say your friends are the best critics as they most likely know what you'd like or not.

Credits
    [QUOTE=MaryJane][QUOTE=Gaumont]Personally i think its apretty good site. I read some of the 10 star reviews, some of the 1 star and a couple in the middle, and i get a pretty good idea of the movie.
    Yep, i still like it - great source of information, but ot looks weird - i'm getting a little bit confuesed reading bad stuff about good movies and good things about bad ones... Well, yes. i want to find out somekinda sites with recommendations that i can't trust
    a friend of mine invited me to this site www.trustedopinion.com . Its fairly new, so its not that well known. the overall idea is pretty interesting though- theres like a ratings filter i guess. I dunno if thats the kind of thing you;re looking for. It reminds me of myspace only for movies, cuz u can invite ppl and add ppl with similar tastes in film. If anyone's interested, i can send an invite thing. I actually refer to it more often for ratings than to IMDb.