Credits

Thumbs down Purging the Forum Exclusives is done the wrong way

just deleting the trailers from the ml server is a bad idea.
    they should've been moved to something else, like mega.
    if this is still possible, we should update the links and fill in
    trailers that have already been purged. it would be huge shame
    if all those goodies get killed off for good.

what do you say?

Credits

What do I say?

You are making too many assumptions, there's no purge, there's no deletion off the ML server itself.
    But before I get into specifics (as I understand it), let's go through a timeline of facts since you were part of it:

1. VOB's were UL'd to the ML Server when Dinosaurs roamed the earth, converted to QT, and posted as exclusives
    2. Conversion no longer really required, VOB's posted intact.
    3. Server got hacked, everything got lost
    4. Re-upload of all content to the server mostly by the members
    5. Exclusives & VOB's scaled down. VOB's Exclusives section closed due to storage issues
    6. Site/Server Upgrade, exclusives return but without the VOB's
    7. "I" started a VOB thread in the regular forum using what is now called "Hosting & File Sharing Services"
    8. MegaUpload and MediaFire selected as preferred choices by members.
    9. MegaUpload hit with DMCA suit & shut down, VOB section dead & deleted.
    10. Shrubs began posting DCP conversions on the server
    11. Members began experimenting with DCP's, posting M2TS and VOB's using File Sharing sites
    12. Decision made to combine the threads into the Exclusive Section
    13. File sharing sites not appropriate, "You" approached JPB to let us store the files on the ML server

This was my response prior to switching to the ML server uploads, when you were trying to find an alternative in 2013.

http://www.movie-list.com/forum/show...435#post228435

I'm done with "Groundhog Day".

I might be off a bit, but in a nutshell that's the history, which now brings us to the last few years.

Even though sites offer free hosting for websites or files, nothing is really free, there's always a catch, be it storage limitations, bandwidth use, server resources (Hogging), etc....
    Exceed any of the limitations, and the only choice given to you is an upgrade to a Dedicated Server at a heavy cost, Termination of Service, or an action/correction to fall back within the guidelines. In other words Fix it or we'll fix it for you.

The ML site began experiencing downtime, the exact reasons unknown to me, but it's safe to assume exceeding the storage limitations, or hogging the server resources. JPB took action to offload the server by transferring files to a network storage service which is costly, but the only viable option.
    That's when JPB implemented a contribution to access the exclusives, basically to offset the network storage service, and associated bandwidth costs.

Over time, a couple more transfers were made because of capacity issues increasing the cost associated with the service. This brings us to the last months where the ML server exceeded the guidelines once again, difference being that some files automatically got overwritten by the system to keep the site live. At this junction another transfer would have made the network storage service option prohibitive, so JPB had no other choice than to shut the service down.

In Conclusion, apart from the files that got overwritten on the actual ML server by the system, the files that are no longer available are associated with the Network Storage Service server account which was closed. Those files are the ones with the "cdn" in the URL.

JPB told me he backed up all the files to a local drive prior to shutting down the account, and had been approached by a free "Cloud" service to try them out. I know he was beta testing it for a while, but I'm not involved with this project. What I do know is that a few pages were switched, and it stopped.

Personally, I checked the service out and they are not any different than other service out there, unless he has a special agreement with them.

Whatever resides on the server at this point, will remain as such I'm told, but there won't be any future additions until told otherwise.

If members wish to start uploading to MEGA or any other service of their choice, it's their call, and welcomed to do so.

Get Cash Back for Online Purchases, No Catch, Safe, Secure & Free
    Click the Links Below and Register to Start Saving!!!

Ebates US // Ebates Canada // MainStreetShares

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    so what do we do now?

mega gives 50gb of free space, which can hold around 100 - 200 hd trailers or a hell lot more .vob trailers.
    this should be a good option, right?

Credits

Who's we?

Members always could UL trailers to their favorite File Sharing Service and post them in the forum.
    https://upl.one/ offers up to 2Tb free storage, and you can make cash too, problem is seriously aggressive advert.

Here's a review of the best "kinda" free file hosting sites, pros and cons, but like I said they all have a catch, http://thetechreader.com/tech/16-top...s-and-ratings/

Another member is actually posting ProRes encodes daily to https://uptobox.com, which is a lot of work considering a ProRes file is pretty much a waste of time unless you're in the business, or can encode, but to each their own.

For years we have been looking for a solution, and now we are back exactly where we were in the early days of posting VOB's using File Sharing Services.

Having been a major contributor over the years, hats off to JPB for trying to help out, but just like with the MegaUpload disaster, it's simply the way things work.

Last edited by jacques1400; 10-01-2016 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added Comments

Credits
    i'll test this upl.one service. 2tb is a lot of storage

Credits
    Thanks for the explanation Jacques. For us old old members ... ... I wonder if there is a way to pay for a copy of the vobs that have been saved. I would be willing to send JPB an 8tb drive for a copy, including a reasonable fee, if that would be possible. And if 8tb would be enough. I know I have a lot of the files, but I have been out of the loop for the last several years due to medical issues, and had just started downloading again. It is so sad that this couldn't have been saved in some way... maybe higher fees? Anyway, what are your thoughts on the copy idea?
    Deep In The Heart Of Texas!
    My Movie Collection

Credits

@bebbaboo

I sympathize with your situation, and I understand your frustration, but let's clarify that the content of the exclusives were posted by members for other members. What you are suggesting is no different than asking for Trailer DVD's and BD's to be created and put up for sale.

Not only would this be piracy, it would also be an insult to all the members who worked extremely hard in creating and posting that content.

The contribution was not an ideal or preferred solution, but rather a last ditch effort to help recoup some of the losses associated with maintaining the exclusives, It did not succeed.
    It was a business decision to remove the content, I understand, am I happy about it? Absolutely not.

In retrospect, having known that this would be another MegaUpload scenario, I surely would not have dedicated so much time and effort into it, but my first wife ended up with the Crystal Ball when we divorced.

As I stated earlier, the threads are available, anyone can post new content using a "File Sharing" or "Cloud Service" at their leisure, no different than it used to be years ago, it's simply up to the membership to participate.

Credits
    Thanks again Jacques. Once I thought about it, I see your point. That would be illegal. I'm just sad that I can no longer find the trailers as easily as before ... spoiled!

I guess I'm just not understanding how I can find the content now ... every one I have tried to link to has said unavailable (and I've tried a bunch!) BTW .. I LOVE the Crystal Ball comment.