Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

'Swimfan' No. 1 Splash at U.S. Box Office

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/va/2002...152512400.html

In a surprising start to the fall movie-going season, the low-budget teen thriller "Swimfan" opened at No. 1, preventing the hit romantic comedy "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" from claiming the top spot in its 21st weekend of release.

According to studio estimates issued on Sunday, "Swimfan" -- pitched as a "Fatal Attraction" for teen-agers -- grossed about $12.4 million for the three days beginning Sept. 6. It was followed by "Wedding" at $10.6 million, and the new Robert De Niro cop drama "City By The Sea" with $9.1 million.

After two consecutive weekends at No. 1, Mel Gibson's supernatural thriller "Signs," fell to No. 4 with $8.0 million.

GREAT LITTLE SURPRISE"

"Swimfan," which reportedly cost less than $10 million to make, was distributed by Twentieth Century Fox, a unit of News Corp.'s Fox Entertainment Group Inc .

Going into the weekend, Fox would have been happy with an $8 million opening, said Rick Myerson, the studio's executive VP of distribution.

"It's one of those great little surprises," Myerson said of the eventual figure. It is notoriously hard to predict how well teen films will do at the box office.

Erika Christensen plays a girl obsessed with the school's swimming champion, played by Jesse Bradford. Shiri Appleby plays his girlfriend. Australian John Polson directed.

As is usually the case with thrillers, females made up the majority of the young audience, about 60 percent, Myerson said. The young demographic has not been targeted with a movie since "XXX" opened on Aug. 9 followed by "Blue Crush" a week later, he noted.

One person who was not surprised by how well "Swimfan" did was Paul Brooks, president of Gold Circle Films, one of the backers of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Brooks said his film enjoyed an astonishing weekend -- its per-screen average of $6,249 was easily the highest in the top 10 -- and has yet to suffer any attrition.

He hoped the movie would eventually surpass the $140 million total of the most successful independent movie in history, "The Blair Witch Project"

"Wedding" stars Nia Vardalos as a frumpy spinster who causes chaos in her proud Greek-American family when she becomes engaged to a WASP. It was released by IFC Films, a unit of Rainbow Media Holdings Inc., which is majority owned by Cablevision Systems Corp .

DE NIRO AT "SEA"

"City By the Sea" stars De Niro as a veteran New York City detective who leads a murder investigation in which his estranged son (James Franco) is the chief suspect. It was directed by Briton Michael Caton-Jones directed.

Warner Bros. Pictures, a unit of AOL Time Warner Inc. , distributed the film for a fee on behalf of privately held producer Franchise Pictures. WB distribution president Dan Fellman said he was pleased with the opening, and he predicted it would be profitable for Franchise. It reportedly cost under $40 million to produce.

The film skewed older: 70 percent of the audience was aged over 30, and the gender mix was evenly split, Fellman said.

Gibson's "Signs," from writer/producer/director M. Night Shyamalan, has now grossed $205.8 million, becoming the fourth-highest grossing film of the year. It was released by Touchstone Pictures, a unit of Walt Disney Co .
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Hmmm.... I would've thought that Spiderman would've cracked the top 3. I saw it Friday night and it was the only movie at the multiplex to sell out completely. But, when you figure that it's basically 4 hours with M][B, it makes sense.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits

Unhappy

OH SWEET JESUS NOOOOOOO!!!

Oh well somehow they got it on the only weekend of the year that nothing else was playing, Probably cuse they knew it was gona suck ass.

Credits
    my boyfriend's in love w/ erika christiansen!
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    No I DON'T!!! I want to rip her hair out and then drag her on her face down the streets of Dallas. Then beat her repeatidley with a bat and then mayby drop her from an airplane! On the other hand, Sheri Appelby is very hot. I do have a crush on her and miss seeing her on Roswell.

Credits
    Originally posted by radstar
    my boyfriend's in love w/ erika christensen!
    well ... who isn't? :butt:

Credits
    Originally posted by Movie Wizard
    OH SWEET JESUS NOOOOOOO!!!

Oh well somehow they got it on the only weekend of the year that nothing else was playing, Probably cuse they knew it was gona suck ass.
    it did real bad at the theater i work at. almost as bad as Simone. more people went to see Signs and Sipderman/MIB combo. i'm talking 6 people ALL DAY saw Simone and somewhere around 10 might have Fan. i think feardotcom might have done better with 11.....

Credits
    hey, so i'm at teen, one of the many who saw swimfan, and to me, this movie was awesome!!! go swimfan!!

erika christensen + shiri appleby = :yum:
    "I mock you with my monkey pants."

Credits

Unhappy *Retching

Oh god! What is this world coming to!?