Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Good movie. Although it felt too muck like "been there and done that." It borrowed too much of the plot from Superman 1.....ie Luthor's plan causes an earthquake and Lois is in trouble as the Earthquake is happening. But this was a great looking movie. Classic looking scenes. Unfortunetly this is movie that looked great, but only had an okay plot.

This movie needed a Supervillian...Luthor is a great villian, but it would have been nice if there was someone or something for Superman to battle that had strength comparable to his own. Perhaps Metallo or Bizarro would have been cool. An epic fight could have then taken place.

As far as the lifting the New Krypton is concerned...I think he was able to lift it because he was actually lifting the dirt that was underneath New Krypton, but as he was moving the New Krypton stucture further from the Earth, large chunks of dirt was falling from the structure and thus Superman was becoming more and more exposed to the New Krypton structure. By the time he was in space he was completely exposed to New Krypton again and the kryptonite had already taken it's toll on the Man of Steel and his energy was severely drained.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Credits
    What he needs is some nice lead lining for his tights.
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by wirm
    I'm not even going to read The Web Slinger's post before answering , but Corfy's question is a really good one. Unless of course, the nova that blew up Krypton blasted it toward the earth.

On the other hand, Jor-El may have been referring to the fact that light from Krypton may take thousands of years, but the space ship moves faster than light?

Anyway, during the movie, I didn't think Superman was charging up in the sunlight so much as healing from the stab wound.

Well personally I have been reading Superman for over 20 years even before I could read I had it read to me by my parents so personally I think that is the best answer your probably going to get with out talking to people at DC comics or the the writes of the First Superman movie and Superman Returns. But that is just my opinion because I know alot about the subject matter and I shared it the best I could.

j7wild Guest
    I just watched this movie and aside from the same complaints that Jake and Jedi Master and Marcus brought up, I have one more:

We are supposed to remember that in Superman 2, Superman slept with Lois Lane in the fortress of solitude, which is when the kid was conceived

BUT

we are not supposed to remember that in the same film, Lois Lane find out Clark Kent is Superman?

DOUBLE WTF???

I give it 3.5 out of 5: they should had done without the kid and James Marsters character!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild
    I just watched this movie and aside from the same complaints that Jake and Jedi Master and Marcus brought up, I have one more:

We are supposed to remember that in Superman 2, Superman slept with Lois Lane in the fortress of solitude, which is when the kid was conceived

BUT

we are not supposed to remember that in the same film, Lois Lane find out Clark Kent is Superman?

DOUBLE WTF???

I give it 3.5 out of 5: they should had done without the kid and James Marsters character!!

Totally disagree. You seem to forget the "forgetting scene" (pun intended) where Lois forgets that Clark and Superman are the same person.

I think that the Jason and Richard characters were both great. I may be in the minority, but I think SR is a great film. Not good, but great. Other opinions will disagree with me, but I was definately impressed.

I also thought that James Marsden was one of the best actors in the film.

I loved it and will see it again on IMAX this Friday.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    Well I saw it today and it was a really fun movie to watch. The guy they got to play Superman looks ALOT like Christopher Reeves and im glad about that. The plane scene was the best in the movie, omg it was awesome! Kevin Spacey did a good, but not great, job as Luthor. I thought he should have been more ruthless.

The biggest thing that bothers me now is that I went home and immediately watched Superman 1 and my god I thought I was watching Superman Returns again. Did they not hire a script writer? They stole at least 5 scenes from Superman 1 and redid them in Returns. And even alot of Luthors lines were copied word for word. He tells THE SAME JOKES! Now I havent seen ANY of the Superman movies since I was a kid so I didnt know about it until I watched Superman 1.

But if you grade it based solely on watching Superman Returns, I give it a 4/5 stars. No one musics gets your blood pumping like hearing Supermans!

j7wild Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WorkShed
    Totally disagree. You seem to forget the "forgetting scene" (pun intended) where Lois forgets that Clark and Superman are the same person.
    In Superman 2? Where? It's been 26 years since I see that movie!!

I wish they would release Richard Donner's version of Superman 2, that would be something!!

Credits
    It was at the very end of Superman II, one of the last scenes in the movie. Clark makes her forget by kissing her.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild
    In Superman 2? Where? It's been 26 years since I see that movie!!
    Third last scene. In the Daily Planet office. Lois is in tears telling Clark that she can't help being jealous of the world, that she don't know how to even talk to him in the office etc (or something like that). Superman/Clark kisses Lois and makes her forget about ever finding out that he's Superman.

(It's quite a memorable scene. I remembered that one even from my first experience of watching the movie on VHS home video at 8 or 9. )

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Web_Slinger
    Well personally I have been reading Superman for over 20 years even before I could read I had it read to me by my parents so personally I think that is the best answer your probably going to get with out talking to people at DC comics or the the writes of the First Superman movie and Superman Returns. But that is just my opinion because I know alot about the subject matter and I shared it the best I could.

I didn't mean to say that your answer wasn't a good one. It was just too darned long to read

And I too had trouble remembering how Lois forgot about Clark/Superman. In fact, I probably skipped over that part of the movie Once the baddies are dead, that was pretty much it

Credits
    I didn't mean to say that your answer wasn't a good one. It was just too darned long to read

And I too had trouble remembering how Lois forgot about Clark/Superman. In fact, I probably skipped over that part of the movie Once the baddies are dead, that was pretty much it
    Then you missed the next-to-the-last scene where a fully-powered Clark has a rematch against the bully in the diner.

Credits
    Last scene: Superman bringing back the star and stripe banner to the White House (paraphrasing): "Mr Pesident. I'm sorry I've been away. I won't let you down again."

(Not counting to the fly-over-the Earth ending scene.)

(Just a throw-in. )

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by editman
    Last scene: Superman bringing back the star and stripe banner to the White House (paraphrasing): "Mr Pesident. I'm sorry I've been away. I won't let you down again."
    And then he leaves the planet for 5 years.

j7wild Guest
    here's some interesting trivia for Superman Returns I found at www.imdb.com

Bryan Singer was picked to direct after the studio was impressed with Christopher Nolan's naturalized version of Batman in Batman Begins (2005) and thought that Singer could bring the same gritty real world feel to Superman.

Before Kate Bosworth was cast as Lois Lane, some other actresses being considered included Elisha Cuthbert, Claire Danes, and Keri Russell.

After Brett Ratner's departure, and with the success of Charlie's Angels (2000), McG was tipped to direct the film in 2001. He left the project in 2002 to do Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003), and came back aboard the project in 2004, but left it again after disagreements over budget and filming location. Warner Bros. had wanted to move from New York City to Australia, but McG felt that "it was inappropriate to try to capture the heart of America on another continent."

While the project was under Brett Ratner's supervision, actors Josh Hartnett, Paul Walker, Matthew Bomer, Brendan Fraser, Ashton Kutcher, David Boreanaz, Ian Somerhalder, Henry Cavill and Jerry O'Connell were considered for the part of Superman. Brett Ratner left the project primarily because he and Warner Bros. executives could not agree on whom to cast as Superman.

Anthony Hopkins was set to play Jor-El of Krypton, but after Ratner left, Hopkins did the same.

Johnny Depp was considered for the roles of Lex Luthor and Jor-El.

Actors McG was screening before his departure include Jason Behr and Jared Padalecki for the role of Superman, Scarlett Johansson for Lois Lane, and Shia LaBeouf for Jimmy Olsen.

Kevin Smith's original script, to which Tim Burton was immediately attached, was based on D.C. Comics' 1993 series in which Superman was killed by a creature named Doomsday and then brought back to life more powerful than before. After a lengthy development process, Warner Bros. chose not to go with Smith's script and hired other writers, such as _Alias_ creator J.J. Abrams, to revive the series.

It took ten years and three vastly different directors to finally get the project off the ground.

Tim Burton's "Superman Lives" was far enough into pre-production at the time it was canceled that the studio had already designed a teaser poster to be displayed in theatres. It consisted of a stylized silver "S" shield set against a black background, with the phrase "Coming 1998" displayed across the bottom third of the poster. Finalized copies of the poster were printed up, but it's unclear how many were made before the movie was called off.

"Alias" (2001) creator and writer J.J. Abrams wrote a complete shooting draft of the script, which both Brett Ratner and McG were planning to shoot when they both left the project for both creative and budget reasons. Abrams' script has now been rejected by the studio, which is opting to go with X-Men (2000) writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty for a new screenplay.

When Bryan Singer took over this project, he immediately brought over his production staff consisting of cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel, composer/editor John Ottman, production designer Guy Dyas, and writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty from X2 (2003) to meet Warner Bros.' release date for the film.

Director Bryan Singer decided on using stock footage of Marlon Brando that was originally shot by Superman (1978) director Richard Donner for the Singer version. Brando and Christopher Reeve were once filmed interacting with one another to be used in Superman II (1980), but due to a lawsuit against the Salkinds for a percentage of the sequel, the scenes were deleted and re-shot using the mother instead.

Jude Law was Bryan Singer's only choice to play General Zod. After Law turned down the role several times, Singer eliminated the character from the script.

Actors including Eric Christian Olsen, Topher Grace, and Shawn Ashmore were being considered for the role of Jimmy Olson before Sam Huntington was cast.

James Caviezel expressed great interest in the role of Superman, but director Bryan Singer refused to cast him because he felt that Caviezel was "too famous" after starring in The Passion of the Christ (2004).

The crew in Tamworth grew their own corn. It took twelve weeks for them to get the corn just right.

The Kent farm was originally built on a sound stage and was then disassembled, moved to Tamworth, Australia, and reconstructed and redressed.

The movie was filmed in Sydney, Australia at Fox Studios. The Kent family home was filmed in Tamworth, Australia.

Mischa Barton and Keira Knightley were considered for the role of Lois Lane.

Jack Larson who plays Bo the Bartender played Jimmy Olsen in the original _Adventures of Superman(1952)_ .

The last line of the fourth Superman movie (the one before "Returns") is Superman saying to Luthor, "See you in twenty." That scene was filmed in 1986. Eerily enough, twenty years later, in 2006, the next Superman movie was released.

There is a framed photograph of Glenn Ford (Jonathan Kent from the original "Superman") on the piano during the reunion scene at the Kent farm.

The space shuttle engineer was played by Richard Branson, the owner of The Virgin Group. The monitors inside the jet display the words "Virgin Galactic", the name of Branson's commercial spaceflight company that will utilize the SpaceshipOne crafts, which are launched from the underbelly of an airplane, much like the space shuttle in the film.

After Superman stops the airplane crash, he says to the passengers (including Lois Lane), "I hope this doesn't put any of you off flying. Statistically, it's still the safest way to travel." Superman said the same thing to Lois after rescuing her from the helicopter crash in the original 1978 Superman film.

Noel Neill plays Gertrude Vanderworth. She played Lois Lane in the 1950's TV series.

In one scene photographs of Superman rescuing a woman in a car are shown. The pictures are an homage to Action Comics. The shot of Superman holding the car above his head is a direct reference to the cover of Action Comics #1 from 1938 where Superman is seen for the first time.

When Lex and his henchman enter the museum in Metropolis, the two people that are already there (and they tell to leave) are actually Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, the screenwriters.

Hugh Laurie was cast first in the role of Perry White. However, the popularity of his TV show "House, M.D." (2004) caused schedule conflicts. Frank Langella was then cast.

Eva Marie Saint (Martha Kent) made her theatrical debut in On the Waterfront (1954), coincidentally opposite the late Marlon Brando (Jor-El).

This is the first film to use the Panavision Genesis HD camera. Developed jointly by Panavision and Sony, it was the latest of the specific 24p HD used by the likes of George Lucas and Robert Rodriguez, among others.

Contains 1,400 VFX shots

Brandon Routh put on 20 pounds of muscle for the movie.

Both Michael Bay and Robert Rodriguez were offered the director's position. Bay's counteroffer (including hefty back-end gross points) was rejected by the studio, while Rodriguez simply turned the offer down, citing that he didn't want his Superman "on the back of some kid's underpants."

All previous scripts revolved, in one way or another, around the death and subsequent return of Superman. Jonathan Lemkin wrote a draft in which Superman impregnates Lois before he dies, she gives birth soon thereafter (also dying in the process), and a fully-grown new Superman emerges to save the world. Lemkin's work was quickly discarded.

When Singer became interested in possibly hiring Routh, he arranged for them to meet in a coffee shop. When they met at their table, Routh stumbled and spilled hot coffee all over the table. Although he panicked, thinking he had just lost the part, Singer laughed and said it actually helped him get the part. The incident convinced Singer that Routh could pull off the clumsy, bumbling Clark Kent.

Promotional material was shipped to cinemas in the UK under the title "Red Sun".

Bryan Singer wanted Christopher Reeve to make a cameo appearance in the film but Reeve died before filming began. Singer then decided to dedicate the film to him.

Marlon Brando reprises his role as Jor el with some help from VFX. Rhythm & Hues took footage from the old Superman movie and hand-modeled and -animated a CG-replica of his face upon the footage. It was then textured and new mouth shapes was then animated onto the model.

The production of the film occupied seven sound stages and two workshops for eight months at Fox Studios, Sydney in 2005.

Workers constructed 7km of road and planted 15 hectares of corn to recreate the Kent farm. This is especially a difficult task in that the farm was created during a 7-year drought in Australia.

Milliskin, a type of cloth, was used as the material of Superman's suit. Unfortunately, this cloth restricts movement when new. Worse, it sags after being worn and becoming comfortable. As a result, 80 suits, 100 capes, 30 boots and 90 belts were made.

Credits
    Well it wasn't going to be a simple one lined answer or a yes/no type of thing. Answers like that usually come with some explaining and well you should read more anyway reading is good for you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast