Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Which "hyped" actors/acrtresses are overhyped?

We had a thread about hyped movies that you were disappointed with, so I thought it was only fitting to start a similar thread with actors and actresses.

I know there have been a number of times when movie ads push the fact that so-and-so is the lead actor/actress and I just wanted to scream "Who Cares?"

I may get flamed or yelled at for some of these, but I don't care... this is how I feel...

In no particular order:

George Clooney - Every role I have seen him in has the exact same personality, which is a shame because I liked his father, Nick Clooney, as a news anchor.

Tom Cruise - I liked Top Gun, and I sorta liked Mission Impossible (the first one), but that is the extent of his movies that I have seen that I liked. Again, he seems to have one on-screen personality.

Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean movies aside, I just don't see what the big deal is (and one of the nice thing about PotC is he has so much makeup on and he changes his voice so much I can't tell it is him, but I have to admit he does an excellent job as Capt. Jack).

I know I had more when I came up with the idea for this list, but my mind is suddenly drawing a blank. I'll probably add them later as they come to me.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

j7wild Guest
    Julia Roberts!!

I haven't liked her since Pretty Woman!!

Credits
    I liked her in Erin Brockovich (or however that is spelled), but otherwise, yes, I agree with that.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by corfy View Post
    Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean movies aside, I just don't see what the big deal is (and one of the nice thing about PotC is he has so much makeup on and he changes his voice so much I can't tell it is him, but I have to admit he does an excellent job as Capt. Jack).

Forget the themepark movies. I think hes a very good actor. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Finding Neveland. Blow, The Ninth Gate, From Hell.

For me hes definatly on a rather short list of excellent actors.

ohh and Ed Wood
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

j7wild Guest
    I just saw the Break Up today at the dollar movie (Thank God Again) and I have to add Jennifer Aniston to the list.

She is cute and pretty to look at but it seems to me all her roles are the same:

just another Rachel Greene but on the Big Screen!!

Credits
    Johnny Depp, he is completely predictable in his "uniquely unpredictable" film choices. Corky and greasy only goes so far.

Credits
    Orlando Bloom - he is not a very good actor, yet...

Credits
    Lindsay Lohan!! and all this other girls like her.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Haazhel_Thorn View Post
    Lindsay Lohan!!
    I'd probably agree with you except for one thing... I have only seen one movie with Lohan in it, and I liked that movie (in fact, I have it on DVD), and I thought she did a good job in it. But one good movie does not make a good actress. But then, as I said, I haven't seen anything else with her in it (other than trailers), so I have nothing to compare it too.

Credits
    Gonna disagree with Johnny Depp. He maybe gets more attention then he usually does due to Pirates, but before all of that he was still a great actor. (Gaumont stole my words )

Though not an actress by any stretch of the imagination, Paris Hilton gets too much attention for sure. (umm....ANY.)

I've never found Mel Gibson to be anything spectatular, and even though most of the current attention he's getting is negitive, why can't we just ignore him until he goes away?

The very same goes for Tom Cruise. But from what I hear, Paramount is a step ahead of me on that one.