Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Lightbulb Sun's Indiana project: Best of Linux with Solaris

From Slashdot:

ramboando writes
    "In an effort to spur adoption of Solaris, Sun Microsystems has begun a project code-named Indiana to try to give its operating system some of Linux's success. Sun has been trying for years to restore the luster of Solaris, but that since has faced a strong challenge chiefly from Linux. Sun wants to embrace some Linux elements so "we make Solaris a better Linux than Linux," said Ian Murdock, Sun's chief operating systems officer, quoting Netscape co-founder Marc Andreessen, whose latest start-up, Ning, uses Solaris. But it's a tricky balance to adopt elements of Linux while preserving Solaris technology and advantages such as the promise of backward compatibility. "As we make Solaris more familiar to Linux users, we don't [want to] lose what makes it more compelling and competitive.""
    I have a question about Ian Murdock (who is known as the father of Debian): From where are (were) his fathers?

Thanks to barrapunto.com for the Spanish version of this information

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    I have a question about Ian Murdock (who is known as the father of Debian): From where are (were) his fathers?
    Well, Debian dates back to 1993... Linux only dates back to 1991. That makes Debian one of the oldest distributions out there... even older than Red Hat (1994). In fact, the only distribution that is older than Debian but still around that I am aware of is Slackware. So any "fathers" he might have had from a Linux standpoint would probably be the founders of Linux, specifically (although not limited to) Linus Torvalds.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...roTimeline.png

Debian was my first distro, but I found it hard to install. I did like the package manager, though. So I ended up switching to Ubuntu, one of Debian's "children".

BTW, Debian is named after the founder and his wife: Ian and Debra, Deb & Ian, Debian. Just wanted to point that out.

I like the name for Sun's project, but then, I'm from the Hoosier state.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits

Post Sun's Indiana project

Thanks corfy but I was talking about the real life fathers of Ian Murdock because Wikipedia says that he was born in Germany but, with that name, I think that his fathers are American, maybe military people.

Credits
    Ooops, sorry about that.

His blog says he was born in Konstanz, West Germany in 1973, but it doesn't give much information about his early years prior to deciding to go to Purdue instead of attending college.

(I really have nothing against Purdue except my dad is from northern Ohio and is a big Ohio State fan, and I had to make a choice between being a Buckeye fan or getting kicked out of the house, and at the age of three, that isn't much of a choice. Anyway, since Ohio State, IU, and Purdue are all in the same conference, I can pick on both IU and Purdue equally, and I do so at every opportunity, despite the fact that I haven't followed Ohio State in years.)

Credits
    Don't worry and thank you corfy