Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

How does violence in the media affect children?

How does violence in the media affect children?

Are children being exposed to too much violence in the media?

Does violence in the media influence children?

Media includes:
    Games - Example: GTA: Vice city, san andreas, Saints row, Bullet proof etc

Music - Example: 50 cent, Eminem, The game etc

Movies - Examples: Kidulthood, Get rich or die tryin', Football factory, Green Street etc

Credits
    Since your post is so specific and full of you intentions and motives. I'll give u the answer in a fasion u deserve.

Badly.
    Yes.
    yes.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    It is worded in a way that people to reply "yes yes yes" to but I would prefer a reason behind one's "yes yes yes" Or an arguement along the lines of others I have recieved elsewhere such as,
    "these examples are all 18 rated and therefore it is the parent's fault for the outcome"
    or
    "The children are being subjected to this material through their parents so it is not only down to society but down them. Likewise, if the kids are being exposed to this but their parents are unaware it is still their fault as they should know what their children are viewing and be keeping a close watch on them"

Credits
    well and then I might come and say its not about media, but about the children themselfs and their parents. People just blame media coz they have no excuses for how their children grew up.
    I honestly hate those who say media affect us (in case of violation). U´d have to be idiotic moron to go to kill someone after watchin it in news or tryin it in game.
    I play Call of Duty II via internet multiplayer almost every day. Do I feel like going to kill someone? Nope
    I´m watching circa two movies a day and about three or five (depends on how much I need sleep) episodes of some tv series. Most of´em contain violent behaviour. Do I feel like killin/harming someone? Course not.
    People who are affected by this are hardly mentaly weak, sick, thats the only case.
    Children growing up on this? I see no problem, if they are well raised and educated.
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    im actually pretty sick of all these attacks against violent media. yes some games take things too far, but at the end of the day, since a young age ive been happily exposed to plenty of horror/violent films and games, and to this day ive NEVER gone out and shot or raped someone.

these days its all down to shitty parenting. shoving their kid infront of a tv instead of spending some damn time with them and teaching them how to act in civilised society.

it is NOT the violent media we are exposed to thats doing it. it is 100% down to crappy parenting. you can quite happily grow up watching extreme violence without becoming a sadistic criminal freak as long as your brought up to know the difference between behaviour that is acceptable and behavior that is not. every time a kid shoots a cop or fellow classmates... i dont think 'damn, he played too much gta..', i think 'damn, his parents really failed him...'

Credits
    Its funny how ppl always go to "I dont want yo go out and kill just cuz i watch violent movies or play violent games."

Is that really the only way they can affect us?

His/her Q was not if it makes kids wanna kill eachother. It was if they are influenced by them. There just might be some effect thats "below" wanna kill someone.

Credits
    yes, but since every1 is blaming media from this stuff first, violence is first that comes over mind.
    imho games and such can highly highten your reflexes and teach u how to quickly solve situations, it can teach u tons of things, same as violent movies, which never are made in priority to show violence, more its about educating us about it. But those + many more thingz are not those, which people consider as affecting us.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chiv View Post
    ... you can quite happily grow up watching extreme violence without becoming a sadistic criminal freak as long as your brought up to know the difference between behaviour that is acceptable and behavior that is not...
    I agree with that. If someone becomes a criminal just by watching or playing violent stuff, he/she was already messes up in brain. Attacking the media blaming them for the violence in the world Today is just a crappy excuse of our own parenting methods. Kids never believe at first that the stuff they see on TV or on games is real, THEY ASKED THEIR PARENTS FIRST if it is, if the parent doesn't take the time to explain what is right and what is wrong don't blame anyone else but themselves.

Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?

My DVD Collection

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chiv View Post
    ...you can quite happily grow up watching extreme violence without becoming a sadistic criminal freak as long as your brought up to know the difference between behaviour that is acceptable and behavior that is not. every time a kid shoots a cop or fellow classmates... i dont think 'damn, he played too much gta..', i think 'damn, his parents really failed him...'
    i agree as well with this. it all comes down to parenting. i watched a TON of violent movies growing up and still do. i choose what my son watches and i watch everything with him and explain what is going on.

one of the great things about DVDs are the 'making of..' parts or the gag reels, where you get to see the actor not being a violent person (like in the film) but as a funny loving person with makeup on. one of the best ideas i had was watching 5th Element. i picked up on Gary Oldman's character and pointed him out to my son (who was 4 at the time) and told him that he was an actor and we are watching his 'make believe' or 'playtime'. at first, he didn't believe me, so i put in harry potter 3 and fast forwarded to a scene with gary oldman in it. then i put in true romance and (quickly) fast forwarded to gary oldman's part in that (i had to censor some of the words though) and showed him that he is an actor and that we are watching his 'make believe'. i have never once had a problem with him understanding what is right and what is wrong since.

however, i will say this as well. the government can do a little more to help in this area as well. how, i really don't know. but it is very hard to have to leave your child with a pre-school or day care while you go out and get a job to pay bills. i managed to make enough during the first few years that my wife could stay at home with my son. there is no reason to have a child to have someone else raise them. i am lucky in that area and i do feel bad for the parents that want to do good by their child but can't and have to go to work instead. that is where it begins....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson