Thanks Thanks:  0

View Poll Results: How fast is your internet connection?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1 Mbps

8 34.78%
  • More than 1 Mbps to 8 Mbps

9 39.13%
  • More than 8 Mbps to 18 Mbps

3 13.04%
  • More than 18 Mbps to 50 Mbps

1 4.35%
  • More than 50 Mbps to 120 Mbps

2 8.70%
  • More than 120 Mbps

0 0%
  • 4G - WiMax, 1 Gbps

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Question How fast is your internet connection?

Just curious to know that since I have read that another countries have high speed home connections at the same or less price than Venezuela or Spain.

Here the common connection is under 1 Mbps and the higher speed I have heard about here is that, 1 Mbps. ISPs keep a notorious silence on this, notorious taking in count they sell the 512 Kbps service in around 35 US dollars by month.

In Spain the situation was almost the same in 2005, just after the ISPs doubled the connection speed without no extra cost for users in the last months of 2004.

In some regions of France, the standard connection speed was 8 Mbps at 14.95 € and ISPs like Tiscali had 16 Mbps for 30 € /month or 18 Mbps for around 40 € /month.

In Japan they had, in 2005, 50 Mbps connections for the equivalent of 45 € and 120 Mbps for around 60 €. I don't have present day data.

All those connections are ADSL, as far as I remember, and the speed given is for the download channel of the internet band.

Yesterday, I have read that tests for wireless high speed connections are being conducted by Samsung in South Korea and by Intel. The Intel technology is named WiMax. The Samsung one is being called 4G, if I am right. Anyway, this kind of connection is defined as capable of download speeds of 1 Gbps, or a movie downloaded in your PC in 6 seconds, according to the notice (The New York Times).

So, how fast are your connections? Please, if you can, tell me your country/region and the kind of technology you use for your internet service (DSL, PLC, satellite, others).

Credits
    According to http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/ban...edtest500.html, I have 1564.4 Kbps, which would put it just over 1.5 Mb.

BTW, I have a cable connection through the local cable company. It costs about $40 a month.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

j7wild Guest
    I average 6.4 MBPS download and 1 MBPS Upload !!

Credits
    4Mb/s D/L, 512Kb/s u/l, costs me bout 40 dollars, cable connection, the cost is with 40 cable programmes (Czech republic, Prague)

u guyz shouldnt confuse Mb and MB, coz 4 ex according 2 j7wilds post, he can download whole CD in 100 seconds

btw I´ve read bout WiMax half year ago and they wanna test it here too
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    I have 1024/256 Kbps ADSL (before this month it was 512/128 Kbps). That costs me (around) 30 euro/month. But here is the thing most of you will probably laugh at (and I cry beacuse of that): after 4 GB of download + upload each month, my ISP lowers the speed to 64/64 Kbps. If we want to still have 1024/256 after 4 GB, we have to pay something like 2.8 euro for each new 500 MB started. Don't ask me why, but that is the situation here. Sometimes it happens that they forget, so I get do download/upload more then 4 GB before it goes down to 64/64 - just like this month. Right now I have 35+ GB traffic and I'm still on 1024/256, but I don't know for how long it will last... I hope they don't notice it for a long time.

My 2-year contract with this ISP runs out in two months, so right now I'm looking for other options, but they are all bad. The best solution so far is one cable operator that offers 512/128 Kbps and after 3 GB you get 256/128 (or 64, I'm not sure about the UL speed) for the rest of the month. The price for this is (around) 25 euro/month. There is also something called WADSL (I guess it means Wireless ADSL), but they also have a monthly limit of 10 GB and also you can't download stuff from torrents or eMule with their internet.

Still waiting for better internet days...

j7wild Guest
    how can they limit your DL bandwidth?

I have no limit on mine and I pay $79/ month for it and it also includes digital cable programming and telephone service

Credits
    512 kbps download and 128 kbps upload, It costs me about 40€. I can get 192 kbps upload but that costs more. There is also a limit on how much I up-download. Standard I get 10gb download and 2gb upload. I can get more that but that costs 1€ per 1gb upoad and 1€ per 100 mb upload.
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    Well I have 30G dl and ul limit too, after it the connection goes to 64kb/s!!! from 4 mb/s!!!! lolz

Credits
    So, were are not the only country where that limit thing is used...

Credits
    nope
    well I on one side understand that, coz I usually use this limit per one night (yes, there are ways how to use 30G limit within 10 hours, just count tv shows I watch and those tons of HD stuff...), so if I had unlimited dl and ul, I would use about 1TB/month (oh yes, I am very capable of this) ... I dont think providers would like it. On the other hand, the limit could be at least 100G, that would be nice.
    Few months ago, my limit was 20G, so at last something´s home
    I´m trying to get higher tarif, so my limit will highten (+speed)

Credits

?

I want to say some things about this but I don't have enough time now.

But, why not the 3 guys (girls?) that have voted between 8 and 120 Mbps don't comment with us about their connections?

If you want and you can then thanks

Edit: By the way, thanks for that speed test page, Corfy It was the logical thing to put in a thread like this.
    Last edited by jmcc; 10-12-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by st39.6 View Post
    Well I have 30G dl and ul limit too, after it the connection goes to 64kb/s!!! from 4 mb/s!!!! lolz
    You're lucky, when I go over my download limit my bandwith goes to about 3kb/s, that's slower than dial-up

Credits
    well but whats your limit....?

Credits
    Standard limit is 10Gb, it costs 1€ extra per Gb but at night (from midnight to 10 'o clock in the morning) the donwload counts for half. So If I were to download only at night I can get 20Gb without paying extra.
    My provider is Telenet, there are only 2 internet providers in Belgium, Telenet for cable and Belgacom Skynet for ADSL.

Credits
    My IT provider has done GREAT job in last few months. They were slowly making our connection faster and making higher limits. It stopped at 60GB up + 60GB down month limit (I had 20 before, which later turned to 30) with 6Mb/s down and 512KB/s up speed (had only 4down before).
    But few days ago they made big announcement and as a first czech internet provider canceled data transfer limit. Might sound strange to ya´ll abroad, but its really big move here which was discussed for a looong time after.
    And not only that, they even improved our connection and added few more TV stations.
    So what I originaly had for price of 40 dollars was 4Mbs/512KBs with 20G month limit with 30TV station
    and after few months they made it
    10Mbs/1Mbs with no limits and 50TV stations. I´m starting to love this
    Last edited by st39.6; 08-23-2007 at 03:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast