Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation North Korea has performed a successful NUCLEAR Test !!

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- South Korean government officials said North Korea performed its first nuclear weapons test Monday, the South's Yonhap news agency reported

North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported the country has performed a successful nuclear test.

According to KCNA, there was no radioactive leakage from the site.

South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun convened an urgent meeting of security advisers over the issue, Yonhap reported.

The North said last week it would conduct a nuclear test as part of its deterrent against a possible U.S. invasion.

Why would the U.S. invade North Korea? They hold no strategic value!!

I hope this doesn't escalate into bigger and worst things...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    Why would the U.S. invade North Korea? They hold no strategic value!!
    (
    Why, there's a very simple reason as to why: preemptive strike

But if the Koreans realy have a working nuclear weapon I don't think the US will dare doing that. And that's probably one of the reasons why the North Koreans wanted such a weapon in the first place.
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    No test has been made. Why do you believe what you hear? All it is a massive explosion been made, most likely by a lot of T.N.T.

j7wild, you are surely Movie-List's U.S. Ambassador.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    j7wild, you are surely Movie-List's U.S. Ambassador.

LOL!!!
    Coulden't have said it better myself.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    The Americans have circulated a 13-point draft resolution seeking targeted sanctions. They include:

* Halting trade in material that could be used to make weapons of mass destruction

... they just got this idea?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    No test has been made. Why do you believe what you hear? All it is a massive explosion been made, most likely by a lot of T.N.T.
    It has been confirmed and I don't think the UN would get together in an emergency meeting just for a lot of TNT exploding. There are ways to tell a nuclear explosion apart from a normal large explosion. Btw it was an underground nuclear explosion.

Credits
    it was a 3. something on the richter scale, that's INCREDIBLY tiny. Hiroshima is a joke by today's standards and this was like 1/30th of that.

What has been confirmed was an explosion, not a nuclear detonation, I;m with Frequency on this one, I think a big bomb, and even if nuclear, that's not sufficient yield to even attack Seoul.

BTW, N. Korea is only a threat to S. Korea and Japan (our allies). They don't have the capability to reach the continental US.

Credits
    all this seems kinda irrelivant, because even if they did have nuke capabilities, they still arent anywhere near as dangerous as the yanks...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    BTW, N. Korea is only a threat to S. Korea and Japan (our allies). They don't have the capability to reach the continental US.
    That's true, but the US has said that if N. Korea were to attack foreign allies than it would intervene, if that would happen N.Korea's allie would intervene also and that is China, you can see where this is going.

Credits
    well our newspapers say that the nuke actually went off and the strength of explosion was almost like in Hiroshima...
    I personaly dont think that every1 would b so interested in it if it was just lots of TNT.
    I dont care, I believe it neither, but dont see any reason why the media, states and korea would lie bout this
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    I think the mistake of thinking it was just TNT is that to express how powerfull a nuclear explosion is they compare it to TNT, according to newspaper the explosion was equal to 500 tons of TNT, so 0.5 kilotons, that does make it a lot less than Hirsohima's "Little Boy" which was about 15 kilotons, so Jake is correct by saying it was 1/30th.

To compare, the US' largest nuclear detonation was 15 megatons (that's 15.000 kilotons) and the USSR's "Tsar Bomba" with 50 megatons (scaled down from 100 megatons)

Credits
    Strongly suggest everyone interested see "Trinity and Beyond" which profiles most US and USSR atomic tests. It has some incedible footage of tests you've never even heard of like underwater submarine warheads and space detonations.

A friend of a friend of a friend told my friend that this might be on torrentportal.com sometime

In terms of scale check this out.

Now past a few megatons these bombs become severely impractical but keep in mind when looking at the US Strategic Air Command any "kiloton" warhead is a joke.

This N. Korea "nuke" is small enough to be a US battlefield tactical warhead, that's something you use with your soldiers around.

BTW, the US says that this test was probably a failure as the Koreans informed the Chinese that the yield was 4 kilotons.

Also, rumor out of Japan is that a 2nd one went off 13 minutes ago, no confirmation on that yet.