Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Question 2010: A Space Odyssey question

I was just wondering with 2010 just around the corner, is there any plans for a re-release of this sequel to "2001: A Space Odyssey"?
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    What do you mean with "2010 around the corner" is there a new movie coming out or are you talking about the 1984 movie?
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

j7wild Guest
    well Sir Arthur C. Clarke did write two sequels to 2001 and 2010 but considering that 2010: the Year We Make Contact movie did not do well at the box office, I doubt if either one of those will ever be filmed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2061:_Odyssey_Three

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3001:_The_Final_Odyssey

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    What do you mean with "2010 around the corner" is there a new movie coming out or are you talking about the 1984 movie?
    Actually I was speaking of the old 1984 movie "2010: A Space Odyssey"

Will there be any 2010 DVD edition of the movie or anything like a brief run in the theater?

j7wild Guest

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post

Will there be any 2010 DVD edition of the movie or anything like a brief run in the theater?
    I haven't heard anything, maybe in 2009 for the 25th year anniversary?

The copy of "2010" that WB put out on DVD back in 9/2000 is just crappy!!

The DVD is not anamorphic despite what the packaging say. It is 2:35 letterboxed and the mattes are still showing around the space ships and other objects in some of the scenes.

It could definitely stand a remastering into anamorphic with some major cleanup and restoration work.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post

First of all, it's "2010: The Year We Make Contact".

Second, I wouldn't hold my breath for a remastering/theatrical re-release of the sequel if I were you. "2010" has never been regarded as a groundbreaking, controversial or substantial cinematic work as Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" (not to say whether it's a right or wrong thing.) I personally find it rather dull when I watched it on DVD.

And even "2001" wasn't re-released theatrically worldwide in 2001.

Eventually Warner Bros may re-release the film with anamorphic picture. But I doubt it's on their priority list at the moment.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    The Odyssey books are my favorite pieces of Sci-Fi I've ever read.

The adaptations however fall far short of adequate.

The only positive is that I really appreciate Kubrick working so closely with Clarke to maintain the thematic fidelity of the movie.

Credits

2001, a space odyssey

I don't know. I believe that the movie is better than the book, which I have also read in its Spanish tranlation.

Kubrick had a clearest idea of what he wants with the movie than Clarke with the book, I think. Moreover, there are things on the book that does not appear in the movie. A message is more clearly delivered in the movie than in the book.

If I remember correctly, the book had an introductory note that was signed by "A.C. and S.K.", is not it?

By the way, the book was translated in Spain by an UFO investigator, Antonio Ribera. He died some years ago.

I don't know about 2010: Odyssey two...