Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Exclamation They have never found Ché's body

Operation Ché: The story of a Government's lie

Linked above is an article from Mexican magazine Letras Libres, where you can find how, according to investigations made by journalists Maite Rico and Bertrand de la Grange, the supposed finding of Ernesto "Ché" Guevara's body on Bolivia in 1997, coinciding with the 30th aniversary of his death, was only an intelligence operation perpetrated by Cuban government to distract Cuban people from the hard situation they were living in those years due to the colapse of the Soviet Union and the end of its economic help to that island and "to relaunch the revolutionary mistic".

The bad thing is that it is only in Spanish.

The basic story: when arriving to the 30th anniversary of Ché's death, and giving the island's economic situation, Cuban Government (Fidel Castro) decided to re-start (it was an old project) the operation destined to recover Ché's body, that was believed to be buried somewhere in Bolivia (the official version of Bolivian government always has been that Guevara's body was cremated after the guerrillero's capture and execution).

This finding would be used to distract people from reality and "to relaunch revolutionary mistic".

Since they have no way to determine where the body was (is) but only some weak testimonies, declarations and suspicions, the Cuban intelligence decided to start a fake finding in the same place where other guerrilleros where buried, apparently using a body from a person that was physically similar to Guevara, carried from Cuba to Bolivia.

Curiously, during the first 3 days of work on the site where the bodies were buried, Cubans worked alone with "very cooperative" Bolivian officers, allowing them to do whatever they wanted without witnesses. Even more, Guevara's body was found at an out of normal hour, at night, when the press journalists that were covering the investigations have gone to home, because the authorities fixed a time for the excavations going from morning to afternoon.

Cuban intelligence services carried out an operation to attribute Guevara's identity to a corpse from another person. That corpse was carried from Cuba to Bolivia and, after the announcement of Guevara's body finding, it was transported again to Cuba. Great ceremonies were realized, with great speeches, and the body was deposited on the Guevara's Santa Clara gigantic Mausoleum, to give people a distraction...

(source)
    Most famous of all Ché's images, made by Alberto Korda

(source)
    Ernesto Guevara captured...

I hope that some day I will give attention to Ernesto Guevara history...

Links:

- Wikipedia article about Ernesto Guevara, giving no controversy on the 1997 findings
    - Another article by Maite Rico and Bertrand de la Grange in LetrasLibres.com, following the controversy of his first work, linked at the beginning of this post
    Last edited by jmcc; 05-13-2007 at 03:41 PM.