Thanks Thanks:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Family member is a sex offender

What would you do if you found out your new brother-in-law is a registered sex offender?

I just found out on Saturday that my sister-in-law "P"'s new husband is a convicted child molester.

I haven't really had a chance to process this information. But a former police officer recognized him during my mother-in-law's funeral Saturday and told my wife's other sister, "K", who he was. She was the one who passed that information on to my wife and I.

My sister-in-law (his wife, P) is 50 years old and until last June, still lived at home with her parents and never had a driver's license and never had a real job (well, by June she had a job and driver's license, but they were relatively recent acquisitions). I saw her at Thanksgiving and she gave no indication that she was dating anyone. She brought him over for an hour or so on Christmas, which was the first time I met him. They got engaged between Christmas and New Year's, and they moved in together shortly after that. They got married on St. Patrick's Day (after first telling us the wedding was going to be the day after St. Patrick's Day, so my wife and I missed the wedding). I met him again on Easter, and of course ran into him a few times over the last week, although we didn't have much of a chance to talk.

I don't have a whole lot of information at my fingertips, but according to the Indiana Sex Offender Registry, he was convicted in 1991 of child molestation, was sentenced to 40 years, four of which were suspended, but he was let out after 15 years (i.e., he was let out Feb. 2006). My biggest worry right now is whether or not his wife, P, knows. If it were most people, I would assume that they would have to know, but P is a bit strange.

Part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. It was 16 years ago when he was convicted. People do change. Another part of me is concerned because I know so little about him. I've really only met the man twice.
    Last edited by corfy; 04-30-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Clarified my two sisters-in-law with initials
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection