There have been a lot of new software releases over the last couple of weeks, so I figured I would just start a thread announcing software releases/updates. Feel free to jump in with your own updates, but this is to get it started. It also gives me a handy spot to announce new updates as they come available.

Of course, everyone who has seen some of my other threads on software will probably guess that most of the software that I announce on here will be free software, but I'm not about to limit anyone else to that same restriction, although links to commercial software might be construed by some as spam (some might see this post as spam... if that is the case, feel free to delete it).

OpenOffice.org 2.2
What it is: OpenOffice.org is an office suite roughly comparable to Microsoft Office or Corel WordPerfect Office. It has word processing (Write), spreadsheet (Calc), presentations (Impress), database (Base) and graphics design (Draw) programs. It can open and save files from many different office programs, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Corel WordPerfect, and many more. It runs on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and a few others.
What is new: Enhanced text display throughout, better support for Pivot Tables in Calc, several key improvements to Base, a more robust Mac version for X11, and more.
Cost of full product: $0
Cost of upgrade: $0
Homepage: www.openoffice.org

Thunderbird 2.0
What it is: An email client produced by the same people who make the Firefox web browser. More powerful than Microsoft Outlook Express, and has fewer security holes than Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook. Also has built in RSS and News readers. Supports POP3 and IMAP accounts. It runs on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and a few others.
What is new: Message tags, session history navigation, advanced folder views, easy access to popular webmail services like Gmail and .Mac, improved support for extensions, improved new mail notifications, folder summary popups, find as you type, Windows Vista support, and more.
Homepage: www.getthunderbird.com

Pidgin 2.0 (formerly known as Gaim)
What it is: Instant messaging client that can connect to several different IM protocols simultaneously, such as AIM/ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, IRC, XMPP, and several others without the need for multiple programs. Runs on Windows, Linux and Unix (Mac OSX users are asked to try Adium instead).
What is new: "We've got a new name, a new look, and a ton of new features, but we're still the same old instant messaging client you know and love."
Homepage: www.pidgin.im

GIMP 2.2.14
What it is: GIMP is the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, a very powerful image editor that can go toe-to-toe with Adobe Photoshop in many ways and features. Runs on Windows, Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX.
What is new: Mostly just bug fixes.
Homepage: www.gimp.org