Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Talking Happy Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day!

I know, I am an hour and a quarter early, but I don't know if I'm going to be up until midnight, and I thought it would be better to post this 75 minutes early rather than 9-10 hours late.

What's that? You say July 2 isn't Independence Day in the United States of America? I beg to differ.

On July 2, 1776, the Second Continental Congress passed the following resolution by a vote of 12-0 with one abstention:

Resolved: That these united colonies are, and of the right ought to be, free and independent states, that they are absolved from their allegiance to the British crown, and all political connection between them and the state of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved.
    The next day, in a letter to his wife, Abigail, John Adams wrote the following:

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.
    So, why do we celebrate Independence Day on July 4? Simple. It took the better part of two days to work out the wording for the document known as the Declaration of Independence. This document explained why the colonies were splitting from Great Britain, but the main issue, whether or not to separate, had already been decided. However, since the Declaration of Independence was approved in it's final form on July 4, that is the date that was put at the top of the document. The fact that the Congress didn't tell anyone about either accomplishment until July 8 probably helped contribute to the incorrect date. And add to that the fact that communication in those days weren't quite as fast as they are today probably contributed as well.

That doesn't mean I want to take anything away from the Declaration of Independence. It is a remarkable document that still stands to this day, and the events surrounding the American Revolution have always fascinated me. But the fact remains... Independence Day in the United States of America should be July 2, not July 4.

While I am on the subject, let me debunk another myth surrounding the Declaration of Independence. The famous signing of the Declaration by all 55 delegates did not occur on July 4.* On that day, the only members to sign were Congressional President John Hancock and Congressional Secretary Charles Thomson. It took nearly a month to prepare the parchment we know as the Declaration of Independence, the one sitting in the National Archive in Washington D.C., and was signed by most of the delegates on Aug. 2, 1776. I say most of the delegates because some delegates had left the Congress during the month of July and never signed, despite being there for the vote. Other delegates arrived during that month and signed despite not having been there for the vote. And some others, some who were there for the vote, some who weren't, signed the document over the next few months, with the last signature added in January, 1777.

Anyway, Happy Independence Day, everyone!

* - Actually, that may or may not be accurate. Later in life, both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams say they remember a signing on July 4. If they did sign an early copy of the Declaration along with the rest of the delegates, that copy has been since lost to history.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

j7wild Guest

Smile

Happy Independence Day !!

Last edited by j7wild; 07-02-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Credits
    Happy Independence Day for my US friends!
    *´¨)
    ¸.~´¸.~*´¨) ¸.~*¨)
    (¸.~´ (¸.~´ `(•.°)~
    My Listology profile

Credits
    Happy 4th of July!
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

j7wild Guest
    well July 4th falls on a Saturday this year and most people will be taking off from work starting tomorrow to start a long weekend that ends on Sunday night!!

Happy Independence Day Weekend!!

j7wild Guest

Cool

Happy Independence Day!!

(from me and from some HOT American Women!!)

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/9azy...ll5prax50o64y/

Credits
    God bless America

Credits
    Here is a clip from my all-time favorite movie, 1776 (based on the Broadway play by the same name).

j7wild Guest
    my favorite Independence day film is The Patriot.... LOL!

j7wild Guest
    Happy 4th of July, EVERYONE!

Today is the day we told them British Red Coat bastards we don't want their stinking bloody tea! We Colonial Americans like lotsa alcohol and coffee!

j7wild Guest
    There was only one movie that was fitting to re-watch over and over on Independence Day:

Independence Day.

After all, July 4th is the day we stopped that hoard of slimy invading extra-terrestrial aliens from conquering the world!