Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Credits

Exclamation Most recent High-Definition releases

Instead of making new thread about every single releases that are to come on HD-DVD and Blu-ray, I thought it would be cool to make a thread for them. Because now there´s tons of great movies coming up, some of them in shape they have never been seen before.

Something cool to start with:
    STANLEY KUBRICK MOVIES

Gotta love the 2001 cover art (all of them are for DVD, yet HD will be the same)
    Warner Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD release of several Stanley Kubrick titles on 23rd October 2007. Launching alongside the new Warner Home Video Director's Series: Stanley Kubrick Collection on DVD are High Definition versions of 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and a new Deluxe Edition of Full Metal Jacket.
    All of the movies are to be in OAR with PCM (BD) or Dolby True HD (HD-DVD), in 1080p of course. For more technical details and feature list, go here

I know you can fight for Blade Runner in j7wild´s thread, but beware - its gotta be released in SAME case in BD format too
    This is The Final Cut 2BD cover art:

From Comic-con (digitalbits):
    ...the set will also include a whopping 47 minutes worth of deleted scenes, not seen in any previous version of the film. ... It's not just 47 minutes worth of deleted material - it's like getting a 5½ th or a 6th version of the film itself. The material is all edited together chronologically, to create an encapsulated version of the story. It starts with a completely new opening credits scene and new special effects shots of the 2019 L.A. cityscape. Then you get scenes you've seen before, but it's all put together using alternate takes, different camera angles and other completely unused footage. There are also a number of true deleted scenes, including a few that no one outside the production even knew existed before. All of this is set to music from the film and newly-looped sound effects as well as Harrison Ford's voiceover narration. This narration is a completely different take than what was in the original theatrical version of the film, and it's just totally different. We think it's actually BETTER than what was ultimately used in the film!
    ... I'm telling you...If you think you know everything there is to know about Blade Runner, you are in for a REAL shock. And keep in mind, every bit of this footage was shot by Ridley Scott in his prime... so it's just gorgeous. My head is still spinning over it all.

The final bit of footage ... was a behind-the-scenes look at the infamous reshoot from earlier this year featuring Joanna Cassidy's character Zhora. ..... The Final Cut of the film itself has been edited a tiny bit, with a couple of new scenes added and a little bit of footage excised. But the new effects tweaks are very minor. For example, in many shots involving the practical, on-set Spinner, you can see the suspension cables holding it in the air. These have been removed. In a couple instances members of the camera crew were accidentally captured on the edges of the frame, so they've been removed. And there's an instance where Harrison Ford's dialogue doesn't match his lip movements on screen (a shot through the glass as he's talking to the snake dealer), so Harrison Ford's son, Ben Ford, was brought in. He was dressed in the costume and was given the same scar on his chin as his father via make-up. His face was then shot (at the correct angle, under matching lighting) reading the same lines, and his mouth and chin were inserted over his father's so the lip-synch now matches. It's absolutely seamless.

Now the Zhora reshoot- here's what it was about: Back in 1982, actress Joanna Cassidy wasn't allowed to do the stunt where Zhora crashes through the window panes. ...i t's painfully obvious that it's a stuntwoman in those shots... The woman has a bad afro-like wig on and it's bouncing around so much in those shots that it looks like Ronald McDonald going through the glass. So Cassidy was brought back in, dressed in her original costume and was given the same snake tattoo on her face. Then she was shot on a greenscreen stage, going through the same movements as the stunt woman. Her face and body angles were matched to the original stunt woman frame by frame, so they're identical. Then, Cassidy's head was digitally inserted over the stunt woman's and it was blended together, color-corrected and matched seamlessly. So now, when you see Zhora crash through the glass, it's actually Zhora all the way through.

CBS/Paramount's Star Trek: The Remastered Original Series - Season One (11/20 - SRP $217.99). The 10-disc set will include all season one episodes in both 1080p and standard definition (pillarboxed to retain the original full frame broadcast AR). Audio will include both Dolby Digital and TrueHD 5.1. Extras on the HD side include Starfleet Access (picture-in-picture) features on 7 episodes (includes video commentaries, comparisons of remastered vs. original effects, encyclopedic information, episode trivia and more), the Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century documentary on the new CG effects, Billy Blackburn's original home movies from the set, an interactive tour of the Enterprise and a preview of Perpetual Entertainment's Star Trek Online MMOG game. Extras on the standard DVD side will include the Spacelift documentary, 8 featurettes (many repurposed from the original DVD release, including The Birth of a Timeless Legacy, Reflections on Spock, Life Beyond Trek: William Shatner, To Boldly Go... Season One, Sci-Fi Visionaries, Kiss & Tell: Romance in the 24th Century, Trek Connections and Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier), Billy Blackburn's home movies, episode previews and the game preview.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment have announced the UK Blu-ray Disc release of Pixar Short Films Collection: Volume 1 on 8th October 2007
    # Lifted (2007) A bumbling young alien student from a distant world tests the patience of an increasingly weary instructor as he attempts a first-time abduction of a innocently slumbering farmer (nominated for Oscar® 2007)

# Mater and the Ghost Light (2006) Stars Mater, the rusty but trusty tow truck from Cars and tells the story of the Ghostlight - a mysterious blue light that haunts the town of Radiator Springs and its residents

# One Man Band (2006) (nominated for Oscar® 2006)

# Jack-Jack Attack (2005)

# Boundin’ (2004) A sheep proudly danced in his lush wool until he had his first sheering which left him humiliated until a jackalope passes by and shows the forlornly shorn sheep woolly or not, its what’s inside that will make him rebound from life’s troubles (nominated for an Oscar® 2004)

# Mike’s New Car (2002) Mike is obsessed with his new six-wheel drive car, and insists on showing it off to his pal Sulley. Unfortunately for Mike, everything that can go wrong does go wrong, and in the end Mike and Sulley are left with only their own two feet for transportation (nominated for Oscar® 2003)

# For the Birds (2001) (won Oscar® 2002)

# Geri’s Game (1997) (won Oscar® 1998)

# Knick Knack (1989) A snowglobe snowman wants to join the other travel souvenirs in a hot party, but the glass dome that surrounds him gets in his way, despite all his efforts

# Tin Toy (1988) When a wind-up one-man band toy looks up and sees just how boisterous, big, and destructive a baby can be, he does everything he can to flee. But when the baby falls down and gets hurt, the tin toy has to decide on survival, or doing what a toy's got to do (won Oscar® 1989)

# Red’s Dream (1987) With a sale tag hanging from his seat, propped up in the corner of a bicycle store on a rainy night, Red the unicycle dreams about a better place

# Luxo Jr. (1986) A larger lamp watches while a smaller, younger lamp plays exuberantly with a ball but doesn't quite manage to pick up the knack of handling it himself (nominated for Oscar® 1987)

# The Adventures of Andre & Wally B (1984) André is awakened in a forest by a pesky bee named Wally B. When André points in a different direction, the bee looks away and André gets his chance to run away. Wally chases André and eventually catches him, reappearing with a bent stinger.

Bonus Features

* Audio commentary
    * Behind-the-scenes documentary – Pixar directors discuss the evolution of the Pixar Animation studio and reveal some insider secrets
    * Animation tests
    * Commercial tests
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    to tell ya the thruth, the pixar shorts are not on my list. way overprized and i'm quite happy with the dvd versions. there are other films i gonna put my money in

Credits
    i think i aint goin to buy it either. i have better use for money and as you said - dvd is enought for me. but that kubrick definitely ´s gotta be mine. not star trek fan either.
    anyway i´m more into bd than into hd-dvd as you are and with ps3 comin home in four weeks, I´m definitely switching to bd.

Credits
    Warner Home Video have announced the release of three “Best Of” collections for US Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats. Arriving on 18th September 2007 are three sets each made up of four titles that present a saving of almost $30 at retail (and closer to $40 in the case of Volume 3).

The sets feature the same films on both formats...
    http://mediatory.blogspot.com/2007/08/best-of-hd.html

Credits
    One more coverart for blade runner

and yet another interesting release:
    preliminary art for Sony's Close Encounters of the Third Kind on Blu-ray (10/2)

Credits
    Btw
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6467868.html
    Some consumer electronics retailers see the sales gap closing between set-top HD DVD players and Blu-ray Disc players as the two formats have come closer in price.

At Ultimate Electronics and Abt Electronics, Toshiba’s second-generation players are still the best-selling individual models, but collectively, Blu-ray players have been outselling HD DVD Toshiba models in recent weeks....

Credits
    Universal Studios Home Video have announced the US HD DVD release of Battlestar Galactica (2004) Season 1 on 4th December 2007 priced at $99.98 SRP
    The 6-discs are all dual-layer, HD30 with episodes presented in 1080P 1.78:1 Widescreen with English 5.1 (Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital Plus) and optional English SDH and French subtitles.

-thats great news even tho I aint HDDVD fan. Considering a fact, that sci-fi channel broadcasts in lame SD and we had to wait pretty long for HDTV versions, which werent that great at all, this seems like great chance to finally see BSG S1 in video and audio quality equal quality of the series. or at least first season.

besides pretty cool extras are gonna be there:
    Disc 1 - Judging by the extras and the disc running time (95mins) we believe this disc features the first half of the mini-series…

* Encyclopedia Galactica - An interactive guide including ships, characters, colonies and flight training manual
    * Picture in Picture - Behind the Scenes of the Mini Series
    * Deleted Scenes - Mini Series
    * Sketches and Art
    * From Miniseries to Series
    * Change Is Good, Now They're Babes
    * The Cylon Centurion
    * Future/Past Technology
    * The Doctor Is Out (Of His Mind)
    * Production
    * Visual Effects
    * Epilogue
    * Feature Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

Disc 2 - Judging by the extras and the disc running time (134mins) we believe this disc features the remainder of the mini-series and the pilot episode of Season 1…

* Encyclopedia Galactica - An interactive guide including ships, characters, colonies and flight training manual
    * Picture in Picture - Behind the Scenes of the Mini Series
    * Deleted Scenes
    * Feature Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore
    * Pilot Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore
    rest of discs are episodes only

Credits
    Pixar shorts cover art

About new Galactica, form digitalbits:
    Battlestar Galactica: Razor will NOT be released on HD-DVD on 12/4. The release is DVD only. The studio's press release had indicated HD-DVD and DVD, and we called the studio to confirm that for yesterday's post, but today they're saying DVD only
    Blu-ray front: Fox has set 28 Weeks Later for release on 10/9. The 50GB disc will feature AVC compression and DTS HD Lossless audio. Extras will include audio commentary by director/co-writer Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and co-writer Rowan Joffe, 2 deleted scenes with optional commentary, the Code Red: The Making of 28 Weeks Later documentary, 3 featurettes (Blood of the Infected, A Bloody Battlefield: Designing and Destroying District One and 28 Days Later: The Aftermath) and the film's teaser and theatrical trailers.

In addition, Fox will release The Hills Have Eyes 2 on 10/23. The 25GB disc will feature MPEG-2 compression and DTS HD Lossless audio. Extras will include an alternate ending, 4 deleted scenes, a gag reel, the Fox Movie Channel Presents: Life After Film School with Wes Craven program, 3 featurettes (Mutant Attacks, Birth of a Graphic Novel and Exploring the Hills: The Making of The Hills Have Eyes 2) and the film's teaser and theatrical trailers.

Btw there comes Master and Commander on BD out too.

I´m quite looking forward for it, because the DVD had AMATING DTS mix and I cant wait for it how it´ll sound in HD...

And at the end:
    I´m being told that this is Blu-ray cover for Spielberg´s Close encounters, but I doubt that. Guess its mistype. Anyhoo it looks cool so I´ll put it here:

EDIT: SHIAAAT!!! IT IS BD COVER

Credits
    Germany is first to get Gilliams Tideland ...

Credits
    quote from one HD forum
    I just learned, in spite of some peoples denial, that the ENTIRE Star Wars Saga will be released on Blu-ray disc. Probably later this year. Amazon has them listed as not yet released.
    Don't believe it? Go to amazon.com and enter: Blu-ray/Star Wars in the web sites browser, and see for yourself. Good news for Blu-ray disc and Star Wars fans.
    Didnt check myself and honestly dont believe it. But it would be JUST GREAT!

20th Century Fox has announced the DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Live Free and Die Hard on 11/20. There will be THREE versions on DVD, including single-disc PG-13 and Unrated editions (SRP $29.98 each), as well as an Unrated Two-Disc Edition (SRP $34.98). Strangely, it seems that the Blu-ray Disc version will contain only the PG-13 version (SRP $39.98) - a revelation that has many Blu-ray fans up in arms (it's basic common sense that anyone who's going to pay extra for the Blu-ray wants the unrated cut too)

I wonder why they wont make it both versions

Warner has announced the DVD and high-def release of Ocean's Thirteen on 11/13. The film will be available in single-disc widescreen and full frame versions on DVD (SRP $28.98 each) as well as Blu-ray Disc and a DVD/HD-DVD Combo version (SRP $35.99 each)

rest 2morrow, too tired right now and am in the middle of article I cant find way to finish ...

Credits
    um .. I´m bit late, huh?

On DVD, BD and HD-DVD

Too bad this is only on DVD (not that I´d buy it..):

Old news:
    WB has launched official site in which they made some code mistake, so the planned HD releases for both formats came out ..
    On Blu-ray (and some on HD-DVD too...)
    10,000 B.C., The Adventures of Robin Hood: Special Edition, Appleseed Ex Machina, The Assassination of Jesse James, August Rush, The Aviator, Batman Anime, Batman Begins, Bonnie and Clyde, Brave One, The Bucket List, Caddyshack: 20th Anniversary Edition, Casablanca, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Cincinnati Kid, Clash of the Titans, The Complete Matrix Trilogy, Constantine, Cool Hand Luke, Dark Knight, The Dead Pool, Dirty Harry, The Enforcer, Falling Down, The Feast of Love, Fool's Gold (2008), Fred Claus, Friends: The Complete First Season, The Fugitive, Get Smart, The Goonies, Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, I Am Legend, In the Valley of Elah, The Invasion, Justice League: The New Frontier, L.A. Confidential, Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut, Lethal Weapon 2: Director's Cut, License to Wed, A Little Princess, Magnum Force: Deluxe Edition, The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Men, Michael Clayton, Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), Natural Born Killers, Nights in Rodanthe, No Reservations, The Omega Man, One Missed Call, Phantom of the Opera: Special Edition, Poltergeist, Poseidon, The Shawshank Redemption, Smallville: The Complete First Season, The Sopranos: Season 6, Part 1 (due 12/19), The Sopranos: Season 6, Part 2 (already announced for 10/23), Spring Breakdown, Sudden Impact, Superman Doomsday, That's Entertainment, That's Entertainment 2, That's Entertainment 3, a That's Entertainment Trilogy Giftset, Twister (December), The Ultimate Matrix Collection, Unforgiven: Special Edition, V for Vendetta, Whiteout, The Wizard of Oz, Wyatt Earp

On HD-DVD (and some on BD too...)
    10,000 B.C., Appleseed Ex Machina, The Assassination of Jesse James, August Rush, The Aviator, Batman, Batman Anime, Bonnie and Clyde, Brave One, The Bucket List, Casablanca, The Cincinnati Kid, Clash of the Titans, Cool Hand Luke, Dark Knight, The Dead Pool, Dirty Harry, The Enforcer, Eraser, The Exorcist, Falling Down, The Feast of Love, Fool's Gold (2008), Fred Claus, Friends: The Complete First Season, Get Smart, The Goonies, The Green Mile, Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, Heat, I Am Legend, In the Valley of Elah, The Invasion, Justice League: The New Frontier, King Kong (1933), L.A. Confidential, Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut, Lethal Weapon 2: Director's Cut, License to Wed, Magnum Force: Deluxe Edition, Men, Michael Clayton, Natural Born Killers, Nights in Rodanthe, No Reservations, The Omega Man, One Missed Call, Poltergeist, The Promise (2006), Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Shawshank Redemption, Smallville: The Complete First Season, The Sopranos: Season 6, Part 2 (due 10/23), Speed Racer, Spring Breakdown, Sudden Impact, Superman Doomsday, Superman II (theatrical version), That's Entertainment, That's Entertainment 2, That's Entertainment 3, a That's Entertainment Trilogy Giftset, Twister, The West Wing: The Complete Seventh Season, Whiteout, The Wizard of Oz, Wyatt Earp

Hairspray comes first to Blu-ray, on HD-DVD will be later. It also appears it will have two different coverarts

Credits
    Tartan jumps to Blu-ray

So does Stanley. As mentioned in first post. Now here´s HD cover art stuff

Paramount will release an Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - Unrated, Uncut & Uncalled For! Edition on 11/27 (for DreamWorks)
    Foxes releases
    10/2 - Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, The Day After Tomorrow
    10/9 - From Hell, The Fly (1986), Edward Scissorhands, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later (previously 10/23), RoboCop (MGM)
    10/23 - The Hills Have Eyes 2: Unrated
    11/6 - The Battle of Britain (MGM), A Bridge Too Far (MGM)
    11/13 - I, Robot, Prison Break: Season 1
    11/20 - Die Hard, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard with a Vengeance, Live Free and Die Hard, Pathfinder: Unrated, Red Dawn (MGM)
    12/4 - Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Independence Day, Cast Away, Ronin (MGM)
    2/5/08 - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (previously 10/2/07)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has told retailers to expect a December Blu-ray arrival for the swashbuckling sequel 'The Legend of Zorro

Lost got price dropped.
    Box set was originally announced with a $124.99 price tag, but Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has now confirmed that they are reducing the MSRP to $96.99 -- nearly $30 less than the original price tag
    'Superbad' Bound For Blu-ray this December

After postponing its originally-scheduled July high-def release, Paramount Home Entertainment has announced a newly-configured 2-disc edition of 'Zodiac' as its first HD DVD title of the new year.

David Fincher's acclaimed serial killer procedural was first announced for a bare bones July Blu-ray and HD DVD debut, timed to hit stores day-and-date with the flick's standard-def DVD release.

However, after Fincher announced his intentions to produce a much more extensive, two-disc "double dip" of the title on DVD, Paramount cancelled the high-def versions, with plans to re-announce a more elaborate, comparable special editions at a later date.

Now, following Paramount's high-profile defection to HD DVD only this past August, the studio has finally re-set 'Zodiac' for a January 8 release, in what's being billed as "Two-Disc Special Edition."
    Also, FOX has announced whole Die Hard trilogy to debut on Blu-ray

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by st39.6 View Post
    ...So does Stanley. As mentioned in first post. Now here´s HD cover art stuff
    I had those 4 movies on DVD. I feel strange looking at those in HD formats. Unfortunately, I had to sell all the 4. I hope I will be capable to buy those in HD...

Credits
    HOLY SMOKES. That Potter DOES come in HD
    from highdefdigest
    In the latest tantalizing preview of one of the year's most eagerly-awaited releases, Warner has revealed a new close-up look at the "suitcase" exterior of its upcoming 'Harry Potter: Years 1-5' high-def box sets.

Although we've seen images of the various individual elements included in the upcoming box sets before (see below), this the first good look we've gotten at what will greet consumers on shelves when the set hits stores December 11 on both Blu-ray and HD DVD.
    ADVERTISEMENT

To get a closer look, click to view large-size versions of the Blu-ray box art and the HD DVD box art.

'Harry Potter: Years 1-5' bundles all five big-screen adventures in the Harry Potter series for the first time on high-def. The previously announced specs are impressive indeed, with each title getting its own magical slate of extras, plus extensive content exclusive to the box set releases, including never-before-seen documentary material and more.

List price for the Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of 'Years 1-5' is $149.98. Complete details can be found in the studio's official press release.

Credits
    I still have them all on DVD. I aint going to buy all of them, but 2001 is MUST HAVE Blu-ray , so I´ll buy that one. DVD doesnt look great anyway. I think that experience from that movie will be on big screen in HD put into another level. cant wait

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast