Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Red face WTF is this movie

Score: 1/5 (same as "In the Bedroom", another useless movie that just died) if u are an idiot like me last nite
    Score 5/5 (if you love William Shakespeare like me also)

Mulholland Dr., I just watched this movie till 3 am in the morning, trying to figure out what the phuck is this movie.... plz somebody help my "empty shell".... some1 explain to me what the hell is the movie about !?!?!?!?!

ZUBi recommended it to me, so I did and watched it,.... and nothing... the movie kept me going till the end, always trying to figure out "what the hell is going on"....and till the end... i found no answer

This has to be one of the most WTF movie I have seen..... ever, maybe I am not the audience for it, but please some1 give me some satisfaction from watching this movie coz its driving me crazy....

Also, Mr. Lynch, what the hell of a movie did you make? "Twin Peaks" was perfect and Blue "Velvet" was great... but this MD is like John McTiernan doin Rollerball (2002) or Stanley Kubrick doin Eyes Wide Shut ....

dear god, I can't sleep ...hehehe

BTW, this movie was nothing if the lesbian scenes where not there..

ohhh and another WTF movie I have seen this month is

(2/5)

at least Memento , which was another WTF movie, but a very good WTF movie, gave some satisfaction at the ending

(4/5)

again, some1 tell me WTF is Mulholland Dr.? ...... well, at least it made me see how superficial, sick and vain Hollywood could get. That basically is the only thing I picked up from that movie.
    Last edited by trailergod; 10-21-2002 at 07:20 AM.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    HAHAHHAA...unbelievable...I just watched - guess what - MULHOLLAND DRIVE (it's 4 in the mourning here)...and I go to Movie-list and see tisoy's post. Can't believe this. And it doesn't stop here - I TOO talked to ZUBi about the movie 3 hours ago. When I saw the thread, I immediately thought it will be about this movie...

Well, tisoy, I agree with you - WTF happened in the movie???

I will go now and see what other people think of it on IMDB (it says 8.1 from 12.975 votes).

It's not that I don't like the movie, it was...well, let's say interesting, but...I DIDN"T UNDERSTAND A THING!!! Maybe there is nothing to be understood, I guess it's David Lynch - that strange man .

UPDATE: I read the comment on IMDB. Don't worry tisoy, we are not the only ones (quote from IMDB: "I am still trying to figure it all out and will probably have to see it again to catch things I missed and which may help me understand it better." - I agree!!!)
    Last edited by Lafce; 10-04-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Credits
    Here is a comment I found (it's not mine) that gives some explaination and it makes some sense:

SPOILERS:

The first 3/5 of the movie DIANNE is asleep and dreaming. She is reconstructing the relationship she had with Camilla. As Betty, Dianne meets Rita (Camilla) and constructs their lives together building the relationship with Rita in a positive and caring way. This dream carries on until you see Dianne wake in the bed and apartment where the dead body was found. This is Dianne's apartment. (I presume the dead body symbolised camilla). From this point on the movie falls into place. Dianne has put a contract out on camilla. She is told that when the job is done a blue key will be left in her apartment, this she finds on the coffee table. From here the story goes back over parts of Dianne's and Camilla's relationship and why Dianne had her killed. Watch the movie again and it will now begin to make sense

But many question are still unanswered /I hear Twilight Zone music/

Credits
    1 out of 5 is way too low... for one reason...
    You may not have understood what was going on... but guess what? You've been thinking about it ever since. You even took time out to post that you watched it.

Think of the number of other movies you watched, turned off, and never thought about again.

I also didn't understand it the first time I saw it, but I couldnt stop thinking about it for a week afterwards. And even though I didn't understand much, I still loved it.

Check this site for a extensive plot breakdown of the film.

http://dir.salon.com/ent/movies/feat...sis/index.html

Credits
    <center></center>

I watched the movie twice, and I got it then. Very complex movie. But when you understand it, your score on it will change.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Lightbulb

Mulholland Drive - Plot Explanation

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read the following if you haven't seen the movie. It will ruin the experience. Keep in mind, this is just one person's opinion as to what happens in the movie...
    read more here:
    http://home1.gte.net/res0a2u7/reelre.../MDexplain.htm
    Last edited by ZUBi; 10-21-2002 at 06:34 AM.

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    i hate this movie so much that I want to know it so much
    :big grin:

watched it now 4 times and read all those links... =)

and no, IT IS NOT Complex !!!
    just remove the symbolical dream scenes that is goin on in the mind of Diane and its all clear...

who is Betty? in the dream and in the real world
    who is Camilla? in the dream and in the real world
    who is Diane? in the dream and in the real world

Betty = Diane Sellwyn
    Camilla Rhodes = Rita

i just solved the puzzle, I think ...lol

so (her name in the "perfect dreamworld") Betty is Diane Sellwyn who falls in love with Camilla Rhodes but she did not want to go on and Betty (name in the dreams) or Diane Sellwyn got mad and hired a hitman to kill Camilla Rhodes ....right?

so basically we just have to remove the dream scenes to understand the movie, but the problem is David Lynch does not gives us any clue when the dream is or when its not...

ok, now I get it, .... it is still the Ultimate WTF movie I have seen, but in a good way =)

This movie reminds me a lot when I read William Shakespeare`s "The Tempest", this is in reference with all the sybolism that is in the dream scenes

Watch the movie again, and pay attention to the 10 keys that Lynch provides. Print this out if you need to : )

Sequence of Events in Mulholland Dr. (according to [email protected])

1. Diane wins the Jitterbug contest. Her family (the old man and old woman) is there and cheers for her. (this is much earlier than any of the rest of the movie. years possibly)

2. Camilla and Diane fool around on the couch (notice the ashtray). Camilla says that they shouldn't do that anymore.

3. Camilla and the director talk and kiss in the car for the movie.

4. Diane gets a phone call and is told to get in the limo. She is dropped of at the bottom of the directors house. The dinner scene occurs in which she finds out that her lover Camilla and the director are getting married.

5. Diane sits in a restaurant with the hit-man and tells him to kill Camilla.

6. Diane returns home and feels guilty.

7. She falls asleep on the pillow.

8. Diane has a long dream. What happens in this dream is coming from guilt and the people surrounding her life. The director who is getting married to her x-lover has a terrible life. Her x-lover loves her again. Diane is an amazing actress and does a great job. The part with the men in the restaurant and the monster is all just a part of the dream. The cowboy has nothing to do with the movie for the most part. He was just seen by Diane at one point and he stuck with her so hes in her dream. Her dead aunt shows up. She mixes up names just like everybody often does in dreams. None of this is real. There are many things her dream feeds off of... to many things to try to explain. The dream begins with Camilla (Rita) in the car and ends with the cowboy waking her up. That is all within her dream.

9. A knocking wakes Diane up. It is her neighbor looking for the rest of her belongings. She picks up her ashtray (notice the blue key) and says that there are detectives looking for Diane.

10. While making coffee, Diane thinks she sees Camilla (who she just had killed). Its just a daydream.

11. Diane goes and sits on the couch and stares at the blue key. Someone is knocking (I think that this could be the detectives looking for Diane). The little people are her family representing her conscience. She gets scarred of the knocking and the haunting visions of her loved ones and she runs into her room and shoots herself.

THE END

This is the order in which the movie plays out.

1, 7, credits, 8, 9, 10, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 11 end credits

Last edited by trailergod; 10-21-2002 at 07:18 AM.

Credits
    Now things are clear, and (said that earlier) I realy like this movie more and more, it deserves another viewing (but tisoy - 4 times...how did you menage that since early this morning ).

Very original movie, deserved it's Oscar nomination!

Credits
    actually I watched it twice last night and also watched it at work..lol
    after watching, I got so tired and bored...lol

Credits
    If you think it doesn't make sense, ask me something and I'll tell you how it works.
    At the center of the world there is a statue of a girl. She is standing near a well with a bucket bare and dry. I went and looked her in the eyes and she turned me into sand. This clumsy form that I despise scattered easy in her hands. And it came to rest upon a beach, with a million others there. We sat and waited for the sea to stretch out so that we could disappear into the endlessness of blue, into the horror of the truth. We are far less than we knew.

Yes, we are far less than we knew.

Credits
    im with Tisoy. Totally worthless movie. Im all for movies that makes me think, but to spend a week just trying to figure out any meaning of it is just bad. Me myself, I watched it, dident like it and havent tought about it since. Untill now.
    "art" ppl may call me dumb or Hollywood:ised but i dont care, its still not a good movie.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    I've heard of this film but I've never seen it. Don't think it's out here, but I do like Lynch's work even though I rarely know what he's going on about. In the spirit of this thread can someone explain David Lynch's Lost Highway, I love that film and have seen it 3 times but still don't have a clue what it was all about.

Credits
    Originally posted by Gaumont
    im with Tisoy. Totally worthless movie. Im all for movies that makes me think, but to spend a week just trying to figure out any meaning of it is just bad. Me myself, I watched it, dident like it and havent tought about it since. Untill now.
    "art" ppl may call me dumb or Hollywood:ised but i dont care, its still not a good movie.
    If you like movies that make you think, then you should've liked this movie. And if you haven't thought about it since you watched it, then you're just contradicting yourself by not doing so. Go to www.rottentomatoes.com and search the forum for an explanation. Everything in the movie can be explained. Movies that go as deep as this one deserve recognition.

Credits
    Originally posted by MovieDetective
    If you like movies that make you think, then you should've liked this movie. And if you haven't thought about it since you watched it, then you're just contradicting yourself by not doing so. Go to www.rottentomatoes.com and search the forum for an explanation. Everything in the movie can be explained. Movies that go as deep as this one deserve recognition.
    no im not contradicting myself, its you that are making an asumption. U asume this movie makes me think about its content. It dident. It just made me realice that lynch is a nut. And im not gonna go to any website to read how god-like lynch is, cuz ive already had myself a good laugh today.
    Last edited by Gaumont; 10-21-2002 at 06:54 PM.

Credits
    Originally posted by Gaumont
    no im not contradicting myself, its you that are making an asumption. U asume this movie makes me think about its content. It dident. It just made me realice that lynch is a nut. And im not gonna go to any website to read how god-like lynch is, cuz ive already had myself a good laugh today.
    The movie DOES make you think. Whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast