Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Tron to be trounced again ...

Converting a popular videogame into a movie has always been a dicey proposition. Now, reports indicate that the 3D sequel to Disney's Tron , a movie about videogames that was released in 1982 -- before such things ever arrived in the home -- may find itself inheriting the failed legacy of the original. According to the Hollywood Reporter , tracking firms are reporting relatively little interest among moviegoers in Tron Legacy , which is due to open on December 17. The film, which reportedly cost $200 million to produce, is expected to earn as little as $35 million during its opening weekend, according to the tracking surveys cited by the trade publication. (The original Tron cost an estimated $17 million to make and earned $4.76 million when it opened in July 1982.) Oddly, Disney is not releasing the original on DVD in conjunction with the theatrical release of the sequel -- touching off much online speculation that the studio remains embarrassed by the quality of the original and fears that releasing it now could harm, rather than help, the new movies.
    very interesting to hear this. i'm plannng on seeing this and i know there are a few others as well - but estimating that it will only hit $35m is very interesting. makes me think that this movie might not be really that good as getting the non-fans into the theatre. also, i think they are hitting the wrong date - why put it this close to xmas without making it xmas weekend where most people will be off work and want to do something with their families instead of opening presents ...
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    I'm surprised by this as well. I was only 5 with the original came out and it's been a long time since I've seen it so I only remember bits and pieces. Legacy looks incredible and I would have thought it would be enough draw in the younger audience (under 30), many of who may not have even heard of TRON.

I am also shocked that Disney is not releasing TRON on Blu-Ray / DVD leading up the release. I for one was hoping they would as I really would like to watch it again before seeing Legacy.

The release date is simple, it's Avatar's from last year.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    I have the first 1 on DVD its a Two-Disc 20th anniversary Collector's Edition.
    I bought it around 2002. becasue I was in college at the time studying animation
    and it was one of the films that we were talking a look at in class.
    Also I'm excited to see Legacy its something from your childhood that is brought back
    so I'm excited to go and see it and I'll be watching the Original one before I go
    it will be nice since I haven't seen it in a while.
    also I always thought of Tron as the live action equivalent to the animated series Reboot

j7wild Guest
    who are these tracking firms?

where are their offices so we can go burn them down?

it's BS word of mouth talk like this prior to a movie release that keeps people from going to it!

"Oh, I read on the internet the movie is NEGATIVE this and NEGATIVE that; I guess I just wait for the DVD"

Many movies I seen at the movie theater that have gotten bad "Trade" word of mouths that turned out to be great but they didn't find a niche in the viewing audience til the DVD release.

Credits
    No surprise here, Tron was released during the times when video games were evolving and technology was on the state of the art 8080 processor. TRS80's and Commodores were rampant and considered state of the art which made it difficult to believe that one could be sucked in a digital world. Disney's first attempts to break into the "Adult" oriented market with movies like "The Black Hole" and "Tron" were not very well received, because neither adults or children could relate to the mix.
    So today, you have a younger generation that probably never heard of Tron and cannot relate, mixed with adults who could not really care much for the most part.
    I was hoping for a different outcome given the evolution of technology, but it appears that the Legacy (Pun Intended) will continue....

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

j7wild Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post
    \TRS80's and Commodores were rampant and considered state of the art
    I had a TRS80 Model 1 in 1979 when I was a freshman in High School!!

My high school classmates thought I was a nut because after all, who has a computer at home and what do you need it for?

They also thought it was a waste of money!!

When I told them that soon, most everyone will have a computer at home, they argued with me about that too!

Well, I bet they don't think I am nut anymore!!