Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

George Carlin passes away

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin's routine were indecent, and that the government's broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

Carlin's comedic sensibility often came back to a central theme: humanity is doomed.

"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas," he told Reuters in a 2001 interview.

Carlin, who wrote several books and performed in many television comedy specials, is survived by his wife Sally Wade, and daughter Kelly Carlin McCall.
    Clark Kent is who I am. Superman is what I can do.

Credits

R.I.P. George Carlin (Comedian and Actor)

Some George Carlin Movie Moments

Trailer for Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Trailer for Jersey Girl
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    probably the saddest news i've heard this year. Carlin was truly a man who had a very interesting way or viewing the world - and he made sure we knew how he felt. i followed his career ever since i first heard the 7 Dirty Words. though i didnt care for some of his movies, his comedy was always right on target and never pulled a punch. this is one man i will truly miss. the world is just not the same anymore....

the messed up part, it was announced Tuesday that Carlin was being awarded the 11th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. though im sure he'll still get the award post-humously, it just won't mean the same....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Sad news, he's done some of my favorite comedy bits. Brilliant man.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

j7wild Guest
    first Stan Winston now George?!?

is God pissed off at something?!?

Credits
    Sad , One of the most memorables moments I have of George is the day he appeared on the "Tonight Show" and never said a word during the whole interview, this was a first and never outdone.

George was my favorite for many reasons, but namely for his gift in taking everyday occurences, and making us laugh at our behavior, nothing was sacred R.I.P.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits

For those interested... the complete works of George Carlin (torrent):
    1.6 GB... somewhere around 23 albums.
    http://www.movie-list.com/GeorgeCarlin.torrent
    Last edited by Jean-Pierre Bazinet; 06-23-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Credits
    R.I.P. You will be missed.