Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation Had a problem with the internet and...

For the last 2 days, I've been experiencing problem with the internet.

Some of my favorite websites like Movie-List and the other ones where I get the GG photos from wouldn't open for me.

I go into MSN Chat and my friends say they could access the site; a few times I was able to access Movie-List and I had a couple of members here try the other sites and they say they work fine.

Then I wouldn't be able to access Movie-List and the other sites that wouldn't open for me started working fine for a short period.

My DSL comes into the house from a wall phone jack, into the DSL modem, from the back of the DSL modem into a Netgear Router and into the PC.

So tonight I was trying to unplug and power down the modem and the router for the times and I noticed something.

The A/C power supply cord (larger) for the Netgear Router was plugged into the Modem and powering the modem and the A/C power supply cord (smaller) was powering the Netgear Router.

Once I switched them out; everything started working fine.

My question is how did that affect my modem and the internet; I know there are quite a few "Tech Geeks" here!!

Credits

I have been in the technical maintenance industry for telecoms since I was 18 Years of age, and believe me that's a lot of years , so if you are talking about regular A/C power cords, the thickness is irrelevant, in my opinion, what probably fixed your problem was the order in which things were powered down/up. I had the same problem which was driving me nuts, reboot cured the issue for a few minutes, then again same thing, unable to access the same two sites, one of which was ML . After trying all kinds of things I noticed that my CPU performance was low according to task manager, and that some background process was running. It turned out to be my antivirus running a full scan daily, once I corrected it to once a week on Sunday, this problem never showed up again, at least until yesterday (Sunday) while the scan was running. So why would a background process running on your PC limit access to certain web sites , I have no clue, but then again, that's Windows for you.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

j7wild Guest
    but if what you are saying about the power down/up is true (FOR MY CASE), I have powered cycled the modem and router and PC down and then up several times over the course of the last 2 days and that didn't fix the problem until I discovered the 2 power cords were switched.

weird!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    but if what you are saying about the power down/up is true (FOR MY CASE), I have powered cycled the modem and router and PC down and then up several times over the course of the last 2 days and that didn't fix the problem until I discovered the 2 power cords were switched.

weird!!

As I said, it's often a case of the sequence in which the equipment is powered on/off, but giving your power cord theory the benefit of the doubt, you have to ask yourself "how did they get swapped in the first place" since your system was working trouble free before.

Anyway, to prove it to yourself, just switch the cords back and see if the problem follows, cant do any harm, you will know how to rectify it

Credits
    So the modem was being powered by the router's adapter and viceversa... What's about DC/polarity? Because adapter's outputs may vary, isn't it?

j7wild Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    So the modem was being powered by the router's adapter and viceversa... What's about DC/polarity? Because adapter's outputs may vary, isn't it?

the netgear router adapter is 120 v input, 12 v output;

I couldn't tell what the modem adapter was without unplugging it but I doubt it's that much since it's so small in size