Thanks Thanks:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Question "Non-Kid" movies (read: violence, sex, and drugs) that teens should watch

I just finished watching "Passion of The Christ" again.

I began wondering what movies that have adult-level explicitness (violence, drugs, sex, etc...) that would be important for a teen or young adult to watch. I'm thinking in terms of what movies would have a valuable impact on the lives and choices of teens.

I'd love to hear what others think. I'm thinking more in the realm of fiction movies, as teens are unlikely to choose documentaries.

Some of my choices:

Schindler's List - One of the last quotes by Liam Neeson's role "I could have saved just one more..."

Letters from Iwo Jima - War is always so black and white, but this movie filled in a few shades of gray

Passion of the Christ - Regardless of your religious upbringing, the movie is well made and gives a glimpse into the brutality of the roman empire, as well as finding hope in the most unlikely of moments.

Requiem for a Dream - (18+ only) - A brutal descent into darkness by drug addicts gives nice support as to why it's a bad idea to to drugs.

We Were Soldiers - Shows the brutality of war for the soldiers and their families.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    The Basketball Diaries, A must for teens. My Mom made me watch it.

"Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. You heard me rapping, Right?"

Credits
    the fact is that showing all those adult scene is not needed for children. Y expose them to such terrible things when n risking the chance of damaging them when u can just tell them urself "its bad. do not watch it" n explain the morality n ethics urself?

That's just lazy making a movie the parent on all decisions. Drugs aint something that needs to be explained n exposed. Sex is normal in the relationship sence. N violence is so common that it needs to be toned down.

If u want to expose this all, show it in the case of on the side of good n not when it serves the uses of evil. All the movies above should not be allowed until a mature age.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Kn'thrak View Post
    the fact is that showing all those adult scene is not needed for children.
    I think that Granite is talking about teenagers in his post. Not little children. Teenagers are still young, but most of them are hardly innocent. There are some movies that they could benefit from seeing when followed by a discussion.

In high school we were shown 'Born on the 4th of July'. We had a discussion before the movie and after. Of course our parents knew before hand what movie we were going to watch so that they could give consent, considering it was an R-rated movie. I was 16 at the time.

But that being said, there are some movies I wouldn't even show a teenager no matter how important the subject matter is. I wouldn't show Requiem for a Dream for example. It is much too disturbing for many people. Including myself who is a full grown adult.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by goodasgold View Post
    I think that Granite is talking about teenagers in his post. Not little children. Teenagers are still young, but most of them are hardly innocent. There are some movies that they could benefit from seeing when followed by a discussion...
    Right on the money! I absolutely wouldn't show the movies I noted to little kids. I think in the teenage realm though, some can serve a educational purpose if shown properly. Teachers though should always offer an alternative assignment for those whose parents don't think they should watch the movie.

As for "Requiem for a Dream", note that I put 18+ by it. Here in the United States, many consider full adulthood 21 years old. I think many in college should watch that movie, which teens can start as early as 18 for many.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Kn'thrak View Post
    That's just lazy making a movie the parent on all decisions. Drugs aint something that needs to be explained n exposed. Sex is normal in the relationship sence.
    Can You clarify that? I'm not being condescending, I really don't get your meaning of "That's just lazy making a movie the parent on all decisions.". It almost sounds like You are calling the film maker "lazy".

"Drugs aint something that needs to be explained n exposed.". YES IT DOES. Kids need to be taught about drugs and their consequences immediately. Drugs are a problem and not saying anything about it to you children is not gonna make the problem go away.

"Sex is normal in the relationship sence." Not sure what your saying here. Yes. It is normal in the relationship sense, but does that mean the world shouldn't teach their kid's about sex?
    As I say Kn'thrak, I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful, I agree with ALOT of things you post here. Just looking for clarification on your meaning.

Credits
    i tend to use any movie as an educational outlet, when appropriate. there are very few movies out there that don't have some kind of message within its plot that a parent can use to teach their child (i use that term not as an age thing but as a parent-child thing). heck, i have used all types of movies as a teaching tool. even movies that most parents wouldn't want their child to watch (thankfully, im not like most parents) ...

i think it all comes down to the relationship a parent has with their child and what is the message they are trying to teach. the movie itself is just a tool for that ....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

j7wild Guest

Thumbs down

I fell asleep in Passion of the Christ; wasn't sure what all the crying in the audience was about

Credits
    The most important fact in this scenario is the discussion part. Either with a teacher or parent. A short conversation before and after the movie is fantastic idea.
    I agree there are a lot of movies, rated-r that should be shown to teenagers.
    They see so many movies glorifing sex, drugs and violence that it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them watch some movies showing the realities of these things.

One I felt strongly about when I was younger was Kids.
    Although the subject matter is very difficult, shown in the proper context it is a *strong* message about the dangers of drinking, drugs and sex.

Credits
    I think Blow is a good one, it really strips down the romantic notions of the criminal world. Money, women, but in the end whats it come down to? A prison cell and your loved ones want nothing to do with you.
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache