Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Credits
    Weren't there were special edition DVD's with the original theatrical cuts on a seperate disc? Non-anamorphic, untouched, dirty and in stereo... But there you have it.

Credits

Thumbs down

I was fast forwarding through the end of The Empire Strikes Back on Blu-Ray.

Specifically from the part where Luke is hanging on one of those antennas under Cloud City and he is telepathically calling for Ben and Leia;

Leia is on the Millennium Falcon and she tells Chewie they need to go back for Luke.

In the original, you see the Millennium Falcon go back and pick up Luke and then they fly into space and try to evade Imperial Tie Fighters and Darth Vader's Star Destroyer.

In the blu-ray: there is a scene of Vader still on Cloud City telling his officer to get his shuttle ready; then there is a scene of Vader walking to his shuttle on a landing pad; then there is another scene of Vader's shuttle leaving Cloud City and entering the orbit of Planet Bespin to rendezvous with his Star Destroyer; and finally a scene of Vader's shuttle landing on the Star Destroyer and Vader exiting the shuttle.

All those scenes are spliced into several part of the long sequence of Luke getting rescued by the Millennium Falcon and trying to evade the Imperial Tie Fighters and Vader's Star Destroyer.

What is the point of these new scenes?

They take away from the continuity and the tension of the original scene and they seem very out of place.

If you never seen the original version and you only saw this version, you would think someone did a poor job at editing the final cut together.

Credits
    I came across that before. The only thing that comes to mind was about a plot hole where Vader is on Cloud City and then all of a sudden he appears on the Star Destroyer.

Credits
    the best possible way to enjoy the untouched original trilogy, besides a 35mm copy, are ...

the dvd versions of the original trilogy laserdisc color corrected transfers (thx approved) remuxed with the laserdisc audio (thx approved) or the fully complete untouched widesscreen laserdisc (non thx versions).

i wont buy the blu-ray because some of the changes are too much. especially jedi got a few very nasty ones, e.g. jabba's palace gate scene and the dreadful NOOOOOO.

Credits
    I brought back the Blu-Rays rental copies of the original trilogy.

I am glad I don't have to pay to rent (or buy) this abomination!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bendermac View Post
    the best possible way to enjoy the untouched original trilogy, besides a 35mm copy, are ...

the dvd versions of the original trilogy laserdisc color corrected transfers (thx approved) remuxed with the laserdisc audio (thx approved) or the fully complete untouched widesscreen laserdisc (non thx versions).
    What's different with the laserdisc audio? I know the DVD is just Dolby Surround @ 192kbps but I don't know what's on the laserdisc.

Credits
    I came across this on wiki.

Lucas really screwed the pooch on the Original Trilogy.

He just couldn't leave well enough alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rs_re-releases

At least I still have the VHS of the original trilogy where Star Wars opening just reads Episode IV

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
    What's different with the laserdisc audio? I know the DVD is just Dolby Surround @ 192kbps but I don't know what's on the laserdisc.
    uncompressed audio

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bendermac View Post
    uncompressed audio
    Oh nice! I wonder if anyone took the audio from it and put it with the picture from the DVD... Though the DVD is actually non-anamorphic so no matter what the presentation is going to seem not that great.

I don't understand why Lucas wouldn't just clean them up, but leave the editing and whatnot alone. I wouldn't even care if they remastered/remixed the audio to 6.1 like on the blu-ray's (though I'd actually prefer them to do the original mix and a new mix like Disney has been doing). But I think they need to release the original versions so that people new to Star Wars can see them. I personally haven't seen them since I was around 7 and saw them on VHS. So I basically only know them as the new versions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234