Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Godzilla (2012)

Credits

Godzilla (May 16,2014)

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=64647

Plot Summary: Toho's "Godzilla" franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, video games and more than 25 films worldwide.

Legendary Pictures intends to approach the film and its characters in the most authentic manner possible.

Producer Brian Rogers expresses the desire to reboot the giant beast's mythos (similar to Batman Begins) but stay true to his roots.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69979

Universal Studios was the home of a 3D Summit recently and producer Brian Rogers was on hand to talk to the press. Zennie62.com cornered the man to chat up Godzilla's big American return in 2012 courtesy of Legendary Pictures. Rogers talks about the genesis of the project. In short: Rogers expresses the desire to reboot the giant beast's mythos (similar to Batman Begins) but stay true to his roots. Also, expect the 2012 film to feature a monster mash. Yes, Godzilla will be taking on another creature or creatures.

Last edited by Hardkore; 09-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Credits
    though, i liked the Godzilla as an irradiated iguana movie, i hope this one doesn't turn out that way.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    though, i liked the Godzilla as an irradiated iguana movie, i hope this one doesn't turn out that way.
    Word is that the guys doing this one are fans of the Japanese Godzilla and are hoping to do it justice.

Credits
    I like the Godzilla!!

Credits

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blo...-gozilla-68246

Godzilla has a director.

Gareth Edwards, the British filmmaker who wrote and directed indie sci-fi movie Monsters, is closing a deal to develop and direct the creature feature for Legendary Pictures, the company that co-produced blockbusters such as Inception and The Dark Knight.

Warner Bros. will co-produce, co-finance and distribute per its deal with Legendary. Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing along with Dan Lin, Roy Lee, and Brian Rogers.

Legendary picked up the rights to the giant lizard from Japan’s Toho Co. in March 2010. It was around that time that Edwards’ Monsters made its premiere at SXSW (where WME quickly signed him for representation) before moving on to the Toronto International Film Festival and a U.S. release by Magnet Releasing in October.

The movie, famously made for a budget in the low six figures, took a different tact in its handling of the alien invasion genre. It centered on two characters traveling through a Mexico that is now a quarantine zone due to an alien-monster infestation. The flick slyly showed only parts of the aliens during the course of the movie, with tentacles attacking cars and people during the night, for example, but the gripping climax featured two giants slithering around an abandoned gas station.

The movie got Hollywood ga-ga over the filmmaker, who always intended Monsters to act as a showpiece to attract bigger work, and Legendary execs were no exception. They sought him out, thinking he could be the right man to take their monster into the 21st century.

Edwards will now work with a new yet-to-hired writer on the script. (David Callaham was the original writer.)

Edwards’ Monsters work has won the filmmaker three British Independent Film Awards, including nods for best director, best achievement in production and best technical achievement. It also landed him work with Timur Bekmambetov on an epic sci-fi project that he is writing as a directing vehicle.

Credits
    authentic.

does that mean a guy in a rubber suit and toy sets to trash

Credits
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godzillaposter.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	14885

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/839...illaposter.jpg

http://collider.com/comic-con-godzilla-poster/180502/

http://blastr.com/2012/07/we-just-saw-the-1st-terri.php

Just moments after the end of the Pacific Rim presentation at the Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures showcase in Hall H at Comic-Con, Legendary head honcho Thomas Tull sprang a full-blown surprise on everyone: a teaser for Godzilla!

The short teaser starts with scenes of utter devastation, destroyed cities, huge black clouds of debris and smoke, and a solemn voice intoning Hindu scripture: "I have become death, the destroyer of worlds."

Then we hear that roar ... !

There's another shot of a massive cloud of dust, and then we see the vague outlines of a long tail, those famous spines and finally the monstrous head as it opens its mouth and bellows that iconic roar one more time before the screen goes to black and one word comes up: Godzilla.

The whole thing is infused with dread and horror—in other words, this is not going to be an oversized iguana leaping around Manhattan and chasing Matthew Broderick.

Tull briefly brings out director Gareth Edwards (Monsters), who has been handed the keys to the Godzilla kingdom, and Edwards says that that the ecstatic response to the teaser from the crowd almost brought him to tears. He also promises that his Godzilla won't be a joke—his version will examine how exactly the real world would respond if a 400-foot-tall fire-breathing monster cut a swath of doom across the Earth.

No release date yet, but now you know officially: Godzilla is coming!

Credits
    3D? Originally the new Godzilla move was supposed to be a 2012 release, but it has been pushed back to 2014 for now.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjay View Post
    Can you tell me the release date of the movie?
    There isn't a definite date yet.

Credits

Credits
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98584

Some pretty big shake ups are happening over at the camp for the Godzilla reboot, but among the most interesting is that former The Walking Dead showrunner Frank Darabont will be doing the final rewrite of the screenplay for the film (via Deadline). The first drafts of the script were written by Seventh Son writer Max Borenstein and it was previously rewritten by Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3).

Darabont is no stranger to writing scripts about monsters having penned 2007's The Mist, Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein, and the remake of The Blob.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99195

http://io9.com/5977982/how-frank-dar...orce-of-nature

We had the unbelievable pleasure of hosting a conversation between three amazing artists: the legendary movie poster artist Drew Struzan, director Frank Darabont and genre powerhouse actor (currently on Being Human) Sam Witwer. Throughout the week we will be sprinkling tidbits from this amazing round table and eventually releasing the entire audio file. Listening to these three creators talk what they do will knock you over. But for now, here's a taste of the awesomeness to come, starting with Darabont's thoughts on his most recent project, Godzilla (which he is currently rewriting).

Godzilla has its origins as an allegory for the atom bomb, but today it's more of a straightforward monster movie. Do you want to restore some of that allegorical significance to the franchise?

Frank Darabont: What I found very interesting about Godzilla is that he started off definitely as a metaphor for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And some of the atom bomb testing we were doing in the South Pacific in the subsequent years. The giant terrifying force of nature that comes and stomps the **** out of your city, that was Godzilla. Filtered through the very fanciful imaginations of the Japanese perception. And then he became Clifford the Big Red Dog in the subsequent films. He became the mascot of Japan, he became the protector of Japan. Another big ugly monster would show up and he would fight that monster to protect Japan. Which I never really quite understood, the shift.

What we're trying to do with the new movie is not have it camp, not have it be campy. We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film. We want this to be a terrifying force of nature. And what was really cool, for me, is there was a very compelling human drama that I got to weave into it. It's not that cliched, thinly disguised romance or bromance, or whatever. It's different, it's a different set of circumstances than you're used to seeing. And that's tremendously exciting as a writer when you're asked to do something else.

Sam Witwer: Is Godzilla going to represent a different kind of metaphor, something that we're dealing with as a culture? Because I'm working on a Mothra rewrite right now.

Frank Darabont: I think there is, but I do believe that there's a margin of interpretation, as Drew mentioned earlier. I love leaving a few crumbs on the table for the audience to determine what they think. Let them bring something to it as well. That's why a movie like The Green Mile is so satisfying or why The Mist is so satisfying to me. Because it stirs their participation and they have interpretation. I've heard metaphors that people apply to Shawshank Redemption, for example, that are fantastic that I never, ever would have thought of. And I say, you know what? You are absolutley right. That is exactly what it means to you. And how satisfying for me to have served you this meal and you identify flavors in it that I never even intended. That's one of the great rewards of what we do.

Sam Witwer: And then also pretending like you did it on purpose.

Frank Darabont: That's sometimes true. It depends on how much you want your ass kissed.

Are you looking to connect it to a different contemporary issue?

Frank Darabont: Yes I am, but I'm not going to give it away.

Credits
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100201

Word broke just days ago that Elizabeth Olsen was up for a role in Gareth Edward's upcoming reboot of the Godzilla franchise and, today, Olsen confirmed her involvement in the project on the BAFTA red carpet.

"It's definitely not lighthearted," Olsen says of Edwards' take. "It's kind of going back to its roots of the original Japanese film."

The 1954 original was directed by Ishirô Honda and the Godzilla character (originally Gojira) was designed to serve as an allegory for nuclear weapons. Especially compared to some of the campier sequels that would follow, Godzilla is a decidedly somber film and it appears that that tone will be emulated in Edwards' version.

Likely to also star Bryan Cranston and Aaron Johnson, Godzilla hits theaters May 16, 2014.
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movie...KUdFfY9gTsD.99