Update from Blastr.com

We’ve been hearing about James Cameron’s plans for Avatar sequels ever since the first film opened five years ago. Now it sounds like things are finally ramping up.

With plans to shoot three sequels back to back to back, Cameron has spent the last few years cranking out scripts for Avatar 2, 3 and 4. Now he’s just a few weeks away from nailing them all down.

Cameron dropped the major Avatar intel during a recent Reddit AMA, noting that after such a long wait, we should be getting a regular dose of big blue aliens in the next few years. Here are a few choice excerpts about the process:

"The second, third and fourth films all go into production simultaneously. They're essentially all in preproduction now, because we are designing creatures, settings, and characters that span all three films. And we should be finished with all three scripts within the next, I would say, six weeks.

The biggest pressure I feel right now is cutting out things I love to get the film down to a length that is affordable. There hasn't been a problem finding new and wonderful things to include in the movie.”

Avatar blew up the box office when Cameron first unleashed the sci-fi tentpole, and he created one heck of a cool world to play in. But after such a long wait, is the demand still there? To his credit, Cameron touched on how the filmmaking arena has changed since the first film opened, and said he’d love to see studios bring the quality writing that has become so prevalent on television back to the big screen:

“In terms of storytelling, I'd like to see Hollywood embrace the caliber of writing in feature films that we're currently seeing in the series on television - more emphasis on character, and less on explosions and pyrotechnics. And I'm talking the big tentpole movies, I think they're obnoxiously loud and fast.”