Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

RIP Leslie Nielsen (1926-2010)

A master of slapstick and a great Canadian

Leslie Nielsen, who went from drama to inspired bumbling as a hapless doctor in “Airplane!” and the accident-prone detective Frank Drebin in the “The Naked Gun” comedies, has died. He was 84.

His agent John S. Kelly says Nielsen died Sunday at a hospital near his home in Ft. Lauderdale where he was being treated for pneumonia.

Nephew Doug Nielsen, who lives in Richmond, B.C., says his uncle had been hospitalized for about the past 12 days and died in his sleep.

Friends and wife, Barbaree, were by the Regina-born actor's side.

Nielsen came to Hollywood in the mid-1950s after performing in 150 live television dramas in New York. With a craggily handsome face, blond hair and 6-foot-2 height, he seemed ideal for a movie leading man.

He quickly became known as a serious actor, although behind the camera he was a prankster. That was an aspect of his personality never exploited, however, until “Airplane!” was released in 1980 and became a huge hit.

Nielsen was in more than 100 films, including the 2002 film “Men With Brooms,” co-starring Paul Gross. In recent years, he appeared on the Canadian TV series “Robson Arms.”

He had stars on both Hollywood's and Canada's Walk of Fame.

He was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2002.
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...at-age-84?bn=1
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

j7wild Guest
    oh no!!

not Leslie!!

Credits
    That is SUPER sad... He was such a great comedic actor. This is a major loss for Hollywood.

j7wild Guest

Talking

Remember what Lt. Frank Drebin said:

practice Safe Sex!!

Credits
    Shirley you can't be serious ??

such sad news ... when i think of comedy, he's one of the top names i think of... RIP
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    Shirley you can't be serious ??
    I am serious...and don't call me shirley!

Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    I'm after Barca won with Real.

And I am so sad...

Not Leslie...

Credits
    He was known for his dramatic work long before his comedies. He excelled at both genres. A very talented man.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

j7wild Guest
    wow!

he was in Forbidden Planet?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    wow!

he was in Forbidden Planet?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet

Leslie Nielsen as Commander John J. Adams

Credits
    I'm really saddened to hear this. I hadn't heard it on the news here. I loved the Naked Gun movies. It was on TV here only a week ago - now I get why they showed it, but no mention of his death was made prior or after the movie. The world's lost a great comedy actor. RIP Leslie.