Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Questions about "The Ring"

Okay I watched The Ring last night. I don't think I fully "get it". I will admit that it was a pretty cool movie visually and the whole trying to figure it out part, it just didn't scare the living hell out of me. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.

Why did helping Samara turn out to be a bad thing?

Why did making a copy of the video seem to save Rachel's life?
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits

Re: Questions about "The Ring"

Originally posted by chernabog_ca
    I doubt that anyone has an answer to that, except maybe the writer or the director. They certainly didn't explain it in the movie, (or maybe I've missed it). I guess they've left it to our imagination , or there will be "The Ring 2" and maybe more sequels.
    Maybe the original movies, the japanese version explains it.

Credits
    exactly my questions.... simply too many plot holes or questions are left unanswered..

I think making copies of the tape means u are spreading the news or the cry of the girl. Now my question is how the hell did the VHS become cursed? , when did this happen? Was some1 videotaping her when she fell into the well?

And frankly a VHS tape killing people is a bit Ridiculous for me, especially because this movie is not a "dumb" movie but in a way a "serious" type of movie and not the typical horror slasher where u are suppose to put your brain under the table, this movie wants to make you think and it certainly made us do that....

And another point all this time i really thought its about a RING, you know the thing u put on your fingers...:big grin: ... but its actually the "circular ring" of the Water well opening when u are in it.... .. it should have been called the "WELL"....hehehehe
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

Re: Questions about "The Ring"

Why did helping Samara turn out to be a bad thing?
    That is not fully explained but I *think* it has something to do with her power. Either way, it really didn't help anything and it was quite the waste of a week

All saving her did was allow Rachell understand the finer points of Samara's story.

"She never sleeps" might reffer to Rachell's thought that Samara could now "rest in peace"...

Samara lead a horrible life - in an insanosylum, with a hateful dad who locked her up in a barn, a mom that ended up killing her and then she was still alive in a well for 7 days. Although her uncontrolable thoughtography was the reason a lot of this happned it's still horrible - she was a kid!

Samara's dad mentioned "you take one person's tragety, and spread it - like a sickness. Your force someone's pain on the world so others can experiance it"

That's what Samara wanted. She wanted other people to know what she went though. After viewing the tape you went though a bit pain and tourture. Make a copy though and have someone else view it....you're safe. You helped her get the message out.

I'm guessing more will be explained in the sequals - there are a few in Japan. American sequals seem very likely.

Credits
    If you've seen "Ringu" it makes more sense (but I saw the American version first, and there are reasons to your questions).

First question:
    The little girl should not have been helped, because she was pure evil. Her will is to spread the curse so that others would pay for her pain. The tape is her vengence on the world.

Second question:
    Already answered by Marcus, but yeah, the only way to life the curse is to make a "copy" of the tape, and show it to someone. Hence the name "The Ring"

Credits
    Guiboche - I caught that she was evil but is there anything that would have been better if she had not been helped? Is she more powerful now?

Credits
    ohhhh she was pure Evil? how was this? so as a stand alone movie The Ring just lives us no info about this? I mean as a regular movie goer and not as a fantatic, I would never know this info by just watching this movie?

then Why is she Pure Evil? ... or simply one of the things we learn from the movie that Evil can be present in unusual places.. ...

so does the VHS quality degrade when more and more copies are made from the copies? .. or are her powers also here.. keeping the copy in good conditions? .. if so.. then damn how i wish this would be true..... good quality VHS forever.... :big grin: :big grin:
    Last edited by trailergod; 03-17-2003 at 03:08 AM.

Credits
    my friends said it wouldnt work.. but just say.. if you watched the tape.. copied it.. gave it to an attourney and told them to put the movie in a safe until you die of natural causes... then in your will leave instructions for the tape to be destroyed.. as well as an explanation of what is on the tape, and images of people that died... if all goes well .. you are already dead, the tapes are destroyed.. and samaras plan is royally shafted.! anyone see any probs with my theory?

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Originally posted by Stormwalker
    anyone see any probs with my theory?
    Samara was able to create the tape from scratch using her thoughtography powers when some kids were trying to record a football game... If destroyed I'm sure she'd have no problem trying again....

Credits
    then i would just bury the tape in a box way underground so it's not destroyed and it will still exists but it can be lost forever.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Originally posted by radstar
    then i would just bury the tape in a box way underground so it's not destroyed and it will still exists but it can be lost forever.
    Yes....lost forever. That always works out well in horror movies

I doubt she is limited to creating one tape at a time either.

"Everyone will suffer"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Yes....lost forever. That always works out well in horror movies

I doubt she is limited to creating one tape at a time either.

"Everyone will suffer"
    This is true, however, if she could just create new video tapes than why would she need people's help to copy the tape and spread her story?