Thanks Thanks:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    j7wild Guest

Question XD? Real 3D? Digital 3D? Imax 3D? So many choices!!

so here, I have my choice of Transformers 3 in IMAX 3D but it's a 45 min drive and the ticket is $14.50

or I can go to the Real 3D which is only a 15 min drive and the ticket is $10

or I can go to the XD Real 3D (bigger screen and auditorium than then Real 3D) which is a 25 min drive and the ticket is $12.50

there is also a Digital 3D and the ticket is only $7.50, at the same theater that has the regular Real 3D.

which one is better?

are all of these on a Disc or on 35mm print?

which one should I pick?

Doesn't anyone show a new first run movie in regular 35mm 2D for $4 anymore?

Credits
    Doesn't anyone show a new first run movie in regular 35mm 2D for $4 anymore?

35mm is going the way of the dodo. Some people might mourn it but I think its great, makes every single showing of the film identical. No scratches, dust, messing up of audio. Digital is superior.

Real D 3D is probably your best option. Obviously IMAX 3D is going to provide a MUCH bigger screen but in all honesty do you really need that?

j7wild Guest
    I went to the IMAX 3D to see Avatar and I felt that yes, the screen is bigger and that's nice but the auditorium was smaller than a standard auditorium so it made things very uncomfortable after sitting there for a couple of hrs!!

Credits
    If screen brightness is important to you, you have the best chances of having the sharpest, brightest picture with the IMAX 3D. Real-D can be quite good, but most installs I've seen have issues with brightness (1 projector setup, Vs. 2 projectors with IMAX), and also issues with picture alignment, resulting in a partially blurry image. You also have the best chances of a superior sound system by going to IMAX, even if it's a smaller "Lie-MAX" you're benefiting from a good equalization from their installers, and a powerful sound system. RealD has no such standards, so you're at the mercy of whatever the local theatre's standards are.

The only real downside of the IMAX 3D system is the picture will slightly blur or "ghost" if you tilt your head left or right, because it uses linear polarization to achieve the 3D effect. The Real-D system uses circular polarization, so you could be standing on your head and it would look fine.

j7wild Guest
    I called the Theater manager and this is what he told me:

gonna go see it in XD Real 3D - it's only $2.50 more for the ticket (compared to real 3D) but the auditorium is bigger, the screen is bigger and the sound is better and as compared to IMAX 3D where it uses two 35 mm projectors projecting at the same time, with the image overlapping each other to create the 3D effect, this one uses one digital projector (no 35 mm film) to create the 3D effect making it cleaner and crispier and sharper.

Is he correct?

Credits
    What is XD 3D? I haven't heard of it before.

I've heard of RealD 3D, and I actually prefer it to IMAX because of the ghosting. But it's more a preference issue. Do you want a bigger brighter image with their impressive sound but suffer with ghosting?

I personally will still probably stick to 2D just because I don't think 3D really adds anything. I know certain 3D fanboys will bash me for that but oh well lol...

Also, I don't think IMAX is 2 35mm projectors, I think it's 2 of the IMAX projectors (which are around 70mm). Someone correct me if I'm wrong... But there's also the IMAX screens that are in regular theaters now that aren't really even IMAX screens but converted DLP/35mm screens for a marketing gimmick.

You could also try to find a Dolby Surround 7.1 theater since this got a special mix...

Credits
    IMAX never has used 35mm film. Also, the majority of IMAX screens out there use dual digital projectors (Barco brand). The ones that aren't digital yet use 70mm film, which has far superior detail to any digital projector that theatre manager wants to throw at you. That theatre's single Real-D equipped projector uses ONE bulb to produce TWO images that then overlap. That's how 3D works. IMAX has an edge because it uses two seperate projectors with two seperate bulbs to produce that 3D image, which results in a much brighter picture with more detail.

Basically, you're getting both better picture and better sound by sticking to IMAX, that manager is clearly biased and/or doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also, there is no such thing as Real-D XD. It is the same thing as Real-D, the "XD" is Cinemark's marketing ploy because it's 3D on a larger screen.

Credits
    Ahhh, interesting.

So wait, someone is claiming XD screens are bigger than true IMAX screens? I'm sorry, but I doubt that.. Look at this way, if the screen is bigger, they should be using a larger print for projection like IMAX. But chances are, they're using a digital projector that's probably outputing a image where the resolution is about 2k (a little higher than blu-ray). And I do agree with Shrubz about IMAX, the image will be sharper, brighter and the sound should be better than any 35mm (obviously) or DLP theater showing this in 3D. I just find the ghosting distracting (which is why I said it's more a personal preference issue).

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrubz
    The ones that aren't digital yet use 70mm film, which has far superior detail to any digital projector that theatre manager wants to throw at you.
    I was going to ask what the comparison is between IMAX and 4k projectors but doing a quick bit of research 4k = 4096×2160 IMAX = 10,000×7000. WOW

j7wild Guest
    so IMAX is still the best then!