Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Justice League

Credits

Cool Justice League

DC's counterpoint to the Avengers isn't getting made into a live action movie anytime soon. Here's why (in two articles) -
    (From Blastr.com)

Comic guru Mark Millar might be busy developing a grand plan for the Marvel properties over at 20th Century Fox, but that doesn’t mean he’s not keeping up with all the other big movies coming from other studios. His thoughts on DC’s Justice League? A really big, and really bad, idea.

Millar took a break from producing the new versions of X-Men and Fantastic Four to chat with SciFi Now about DC’s plan to combine all their major heroes under one roof. Millar thinks it's a terrible idea, and looking at the track record (apart from Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy), it’s hard to argue.

The biggest problem? MIllar says that DC’s slate is "too old" and doesn’t translate that well to the big screen, with super speed, green plasma powers and underwater super powers:

”Now the stuff I grew up with… I adored the DC stuff growing up but really, how do you do a movie about Green Lantern? His power is that he manifests green plasma from his imagination and uses them as weapons against someone? Even that in itself if you just imagine then watching a fight scene with a guy who’s like a hundred feet away making plasma manifestations fight someone – it’s not exactly raucous, getting up close and personal.

The Flash has door handles on the side of his mask and if he doesn’t wear that mask, I’ll be pissed off, you know what I mean? They’re in a weird, weird situation – if you’ve got a guy who moves at the speed of light up against the Weather Wizard and Captain Cold or whatever, then your movie’s over in two seconds. You can get away with stuff in comics that in live action’s just a bit sucky – the best one is definitely Aquaman. Aquaman can’t even talk under water. If you think about it in comics it’s fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talking telepathically? Is it going to be body forms?”

Considering the odds, Millar said he believes this gamble probably won’t pay off for DC’s big budget team up:

“I actually think the big problem for them is the characters are just too out of date. The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they’re in a really weird time...

The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.”

Hope you weren't in a big rush to see that Justice League movie get made.

Man of Steel isn't even out yet, but because of the crazy success of Marvel's Avengers, everyone is clamoring for a Justice League flick. There was a maybe 2015 general release year, but people were already arguing over who would direct, who would be the villain, what the plot would be, and on and on. The only thing we did know was that there was a script out there by Will Beall.

But now it looks like we may not even know that. Rumor has it that whoever is in charge of putting together the would-be DC hero picture has decided that the script just isn't going to cut it. That's the word, folks. The script's been scrapped. And not because it wasn't the right fit, either, apparently. Here's what Devin Faraci from Bad Ass Digest had to say:

"The story from each source is the same: it's terrible. Some sources seem to think the whole movie is going to fall apart and never happen, while some believe that Warner Bros will keep moving forward, unwilling to lose the superhero arms race."

Could we make a humble suggestion? Keep with that other plan we heard, where you wait until Man of Steel succeeds or fails. Then try and build up some other solo franchises before you fly blindly into something as big as a Justice League movie.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    Personally I don't put much stock into what Mark Millar says, at least considering how old Captain America is and how well it has done at the box office. Marvel is doing the right things by hiring the right writers and the right directors. Warner Brothers has executives who have no idea how to make a Superhero movie. They need to hire someone who knows comic books. Marvel studies has the right people handling thier superhero franchises.

Warner brothers should follow what Marvel is doing. Who cares if people accuse them of being copy cats. Marvel is doing it absolutley right. Any one remember when Warner Brothers hired Joss Whedon to make a Wonder Woman movie, only to have a studio exec step in and say he didn't like Joss Whedon's version? I hope that person is no longer working for Warner Brothers. Who was the idiot who let Joss Whedon go?
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Credits
    Apparently, the runaway success of Man of Steel this weekend made an impact

DC may have found its Joss Whedon. No, not Christopher Nolan -- though there had been speculation that he would shepherd a series of films featuring DC Comics characters -- but rather Man of Steel director Zack Snyder and screenwriter David S. Goyer.

According to Deadline.com, both men have signed on with studio parent Time Warner to make a Man of Steel sequel while Goyer is on board to write Justice League, a DC Comics superhero team-up film scheduled for 2015 that will compete with Whedon's Avengers sequel.

Having Snyder and Goyer stick with the Superman franchise for another film is smart. But having Goyer stick all the way through to Justice League is even smarter, says Tim Beyers of Motley Fool Rule Breakers and Motley Fool Supernova in the following video.

Why? First, he's established audience-grabbing bona fides by helping devise the storylines for all three of Nolan's blockbuster Batman films. Second, he knows the genre, having worked on comic book films since the 1998 surprise hit Blade.

Teamed with Snyder, he might deliver just the sort of scripts Warner needs to challenge Walt Disney and make Justice League a legitimate alternative to Avengers 2, Tim says.

Credits
    Christian Bale will not reprise role as Batman for Justice League

http://us.cnn.com/2013/07/01/showbiz...?iref=obinsite

"We were incredibly fortunate to get to make three [Batman films]. That's enough. Let's not get greedy," says Bale, who called EW to promote his upcoming revenge drama 'Out of the Furnace' (in theaters Nov. 27). "Chris [Nolan] always said he wanted to make it one film at a time. And we ended up sitting there looking at each other, saying 'We're about to make the third.' We never really knew if we were going to get to be there, but if that was how it was going to be, this was where it should end as well."

The actor says he hasn't even been involved in official talks about a Justice League movie. "I have no information, no knowledge about anything. I've literally not had a conversation with a living soul. I understand that they may be making a Justice League movie, that's it." But he says he's not sad to pass Batman's cowl into new hands: "It's a torch that should be handed from one actor to another. So I enjoy looking forward to what somebody else will come up with"

Credits
    Zack Snyder confirmed to direct planned Justice League movie (albeit a LONG way in the future) - From Wall Street Journal

First came “Man of Steel.” Next up is “Batman vs. Superman.” And then, “Justice League.”

Confirming the studio’s plans for a movie based on its iconic super-team for the first time, Warner Bros. president of worldwide production Greg Silverman said the studio has set plans to make a “Justice League” movie.

Like “Man of Steel” and its follow-up, which starts production next month, “Justice League” will be directed by Zack Snyder. Henry Cavill is expected to return as Superman, along with Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot, who play Batman and Wonder Woman, respectively, in 2016’s “Man of Steel” sequel tentatively titled “Batman vs. Superman.”

“It will be a further expansion of this universe,” said Mr. Silverman. “’Superman vs Batman’ will lead into ‘Justice League.’”

A script is still in development and Warner has not set a release date, though the movie is unlikely to come out before 2018. Mr. Silverman would not comment on what other heroes might join Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in the movie. However the studio has recently been casting the role of Cyborg, a half-robotic hero who is expected to have a cameo in “Batman vs. Superman” and then appear in “Justice League.” Other DC heroes who have been in Justice League comic books include Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern.

The plans for three superhero movies in relatively quick succession show how intent Warner is on catching up with rival Walt Disney Co.’s Marvel Studios in building a cinematic superhero universe after years lagging behind