Thanks Thanks:  5
    Credits

Exclamation Still limited contributions from forum members...maybe a rework is needed?

Still can't shake the feeling that the forum is too quiet. I took a hiatus from posting for a month or so to observe activity, and only the hard work encoding by jacques1400 in the trailer forums and the activity of j7wild is showing. There is some limited activity of other members, but it is just that limited!

I notice a few posts that I did in news are getting views, so people are interested in news, but it generally doesn't exceed 100.

I propose that some rework of the forum is needed -
    1) Remove the DVD news section - the last posting was in October 2013, and the post before that was Sept 2013.
    2) Rework trailer news into two top level sections - direct links and member reencodes. Add a third top level which is a direct link to the subscription access
    3) Add a section on technical workings of trailers - company info, how to encode, music, etc...
    4) Combine technical problems and site suggestions - and have a sticky thread for posting rules (such as top ten issues)
    5) Combine movie news and movie related - I could headline threads about movie news with the phrase "Movie News: Ant-Man (2016)" for example. The other option is to create an RSS feed of news links.

Just some suggestions meant to get a discussion going - with the main focus going to the niche area that this site caters to - how movie trailers work. The forum is not exciting anymore with limited to no contributions of most members.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    A week since I posted this. Quite a few views, but any thoughts from the community yet? Do you agree, disagree, understand my suggestions?

Credits
    Honestly I blame this on a lot of the trailer websites/encodes. Apple doesn't allow direct links posted (which causes me to go to their site more), Yahoo (I think) has stopped posting trailers... It's just getting too hard to post trailers since places are trying to push for streaming and also cutting quality.

I think I'd come here more if each week there'd be new D-Cinema trailers posted.

Credits
    Week 2 - Thanks for the response ClaytonMG. Any others? JPB haven't heard from you yet, as well as the Mods (including the amazing jacques1400)

Credits

ClaytonMG touched on some of the factors affecting this forum, but it's not singular, or strictly limited to M-L.

Fact is that social networking has dramatically evolved, and whichever way you slice and dice it, if it requires more than a "Re-Tweet, Re-Blog, a "Like", and cannot be posted via a mobile device, in general interest is minimal.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

j7wild Guest
    I liked the trailer forum the old way.

Now that every movie has its individual thread even if it's just for one trailer and the movie is old, when I am at the main forum page under trailer page, all I see is the latest post even if it's an old movie.

Credits
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates / responses.
    I have a HUGE side project that's taking up a lot of my time (more on that when it launches very soon).

That being said, I totally agree that the Forum needs a MAJOR overhaul. Sections need combining / removing as Granite said.
    I'm even tired of VBulletin in general. Might be worth switching to something else entirely.

No decisions have been made yet, but something needs to be done since there are really 3 regular posters these days. And I'm as much to blame. As the first two posts point out, even I haven't been in the forum...

I'm open to any and all suggestions...

I'll be back with more soon.

j7wild Guest
    Oh yes, the forum looks much better now.

Credits
    More changes are coming.

You'd never notice, but I spent the entire weekend re-writing the entire site.
    (We used to use a template engine, it's now 100% coded by yours-truly).
    This will allow us/me a lot more control and the ability to change and add things very quickly.

I also have a new look coming for the whole site sometime in the summer. It's similar, but adds some flare, and bells & whistles.

I'm also thinking of a MAJOR overhaul in the forum.
    I'd LOVE to get rid of vbulletin, but thus far, I haven't found anything to replace it with.
    I'd love to go to more of a Discussion-board as opposed to a 'forum', removing all that fluff (no more credits, arcades, etc). Just discussions.

Something like this: http://try.discourse.org/
    or this: http://vanillaforums.org/discussions

But I'm open to suggestions, ideas, complaints, flames or just about anything else you have to say on the subject.

Credits
    News:

I'm pretty set on switching from vbulletin to discourse.
    Check it out: http://try.discourse.org/categories

Comments?

Credits

If the change is being contemplated due to limitations of the present software, then it should be considered, otherwise VBulletin is fine by me.