Thanks Thanks:  1
    Credits

Michael Bay Explained

"Bayhem" is the term used, thought this was a very good analysis of what makes Michael Bay's films so prolific while pumping out some of the worse garbage out there. In short, it's all in his visual style which is borrowed from many other famous directors (not unique to him), but constantly used throughout the filming process (that's unique to him) for no particular reason than to appeal to our ocular senses rather than our brains.

In other words he distracts us from the actual story by simply making every possible shot look "Epic", no matter how bad the storyline is, the attraction is purely visual.

I always said his movies were simply "Brainless Fun", I simply never realized until now how close this statement was to reality.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

j7wild Guest

Thumbs up

I have been watching the TNT TV series "The Last Ship".

It's a Michael Bay production!!

It's sooo good!!

Better than them boring reality shows that are all over TV land nowadays on almost every station.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    It's a Michael Bay production!!

Sorry j7, he's only a producer for some of the episodes, and more than likely has absolutely no creative input whatsoever.
    A producer is nothing more than a recognition given for some kind of help in getting the project completed, it can be a simple thing like finding a proper location, to funding an entire project.
    It can even be bought in order to associate a well known name to a project.

But what it is not, is a "Michael Bay Production".

j7wild Guest
    Actually at the beginning of every episode it says Executive Producer Michael Bay

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    Actually at the beginning of every episode it says Executive Producer Michael Bay

That's correct, but that's also the strategy, to highlight a name which is highly recognized in order to give the impression that Michael Bay made this, but in reality his part could be nothing more than overseeing the project.
    You see this all the time, Spielberg, Lucas, they all had their name attached to something of which the only participation was as a producer.
    As a matter of fact, The Latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had Michael Bay also prominently displayed, but yet again was only a producer.

Don't take my word for it, the Producers Guild of America is presently trying to standardize the use of "Producers" because it's getting out of hand. They created guidelines for all designations, and if the said "Producer" fits the guidelines, they can add "PGA" to the credit line to confirm compliance. Of course this only applies to the USA, and is strictly voluntary.

Source: Producers Guild of America

What does a Producer do?
    A Producer initiates, coordinates, supervises and controls, either on his own authority, or subject to the authority of an employer, all aspects of the motion-picture and/or television production process, including creative, financial, technological and administrative. A Producer is involved throughout all phases of production from inception to completion, including coordination, supervision and control of all other talents and crafts, subject to the provisions of their collective bargaining agreements and personal service contracts.

What does an Executive Producer do?
    An Executive Producer supervises, either on his own authority (entrepreneur executive producer) or subject to the authority of an employer (employee executive producer) one or more producers in the performance of all of his/her/their producer functions on single or multiple productions. In television, an Executive Producer may also be the Creator/Writer of a series.

What does an Associate Producer do?
    An Associate Producer performs one or more producer functions delegated to him/her by a producer, under the supervision of such producer.
    There's more, but I simply quoted the relevant definitions.