Thanks Thanks:  6
    Credits

DVCPRO 100 Quicktime Encodes

This looks amazing! I do have a couple of questions though... The ProRes version says the frame rate is 24.39 which is kind of odd. The audio also sounds pretty heavily compressed. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
    This looks amazing! I do have a couple of questions though... The ProRes version says the frame rate is 24.39 which is kind of odd. The audio also sounds pretty heavily compressed. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The master is actually a DVCPRO 100 Quicktime, which now appears to be the standard for distribution as opposed to a "ProRes" for say, I simply use the ProRes terminology in reference because it's better known.
    Some of the major studios have both, and also include various other "Flavours", but since the conversion process is time consuming and different for every type, I simply stick to the DVCPRO.

Specs for DVCPRO 100 Quicktime are: 4:2:2: 1440X1080, 100Mps, Audio is PCM 24 Bit 48K with 8 Discrete Tracks.

As far as the FPS rate, I'm using 24 Fps because I had some issues with using the standard 23.97, or in other words "default".
    I don't recall what they were, but it always worked fine at 24Fps, I can always try it again

Before anyone asks, the answer is no, the files are hefty enough as it is, I'm not posting 2K encodes even if some might be available.

Last edited by jacques1400; 07-19-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added Comments

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    Interesting! I did notice on Crimson Peak the same thing (heavily compressed sound, 24.39fps).

This is getting kind of technical, but do you know if there's a way to do a 5.1 AAC encode from the original PCM soundtracks? I believe Apple used to do these back in the day and the soundtracks were still only about 8 mb.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
    Interesting! I did notice on Crimson Peak the same thing (heavily compressed sound, 24.39fps).

This is getting kind of technical, but do you know if there's a way to do a 5.1 AAC encode from the original PCM soundtracks? I believe Apple used to do these back in the day and the soundtracks were still only about 8 mb.

The Masters are specified as "stereo", in very few instances I've seen some specified as 5.1, but they were "Textless" or "Split" (I believe "Split" is without Voice Audio for dubbing purposes) , none of which serve our purpose, and are strictly for industry use.

Hope this answers all the questions, were getting off topic.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques1400 View Post
    As far as the FPS rate, I'm using 24 Fps because I had some issues with using the standard 23.97, or in other words "default".
    I don't recall what they were, but it always worked fine at 24Fps, I can always try it again
    Most are delivered in 24fps, arent they? for theater presentation, as it was filmed in 24fps.
    Using 23.976, you would not only need to convert the video at a faster rate, but the audio need be converted too to match the new rate for the video so synch isn't off.

I hand't really noticed the fps before being 24.39fps, but it didn't produce a problem for playback.
    There was no off-synch anywhere.
    Unusual to see though. Usually it's 24 even (24000/1000).

As far as audio "compression" goes (like brickwalled compression/dynamics), I think that's just how the trailer was meant to be heard.
    A lot of old trailers had heavily compressed audio when it came to dialogue and sound effects.
    I remember a lot of trailers from the 90's having it so severe that right before anyone talks, you can hear a lot of dead air (white noise-ish) before the dialogue and then the drastic cut-off to get back to the music.

There's a likely chance that the person mixing the trailer just brickwalled it for the sake of hearing everything.

The sfx, I don't mind being compressed, and I didn't find the dialogue too compressed.
    I think for this particular trailer, it had effect.

A surround sound mix of the trailer should have more dynamics.

Either way, it didn't stop me from getting an adrenaline rush just watching the trailer.

Credits

I reverted back to 23.97 for the last couple I did, seemed to work fine, so I'll keep it for now.

The standard audio is PCM for all HD Masters, I thought about leaving it intact, but we have to keep in mind that apart from the more knowledgeable forum members, PCM is not exactly legacy player friendly.

As sparktank mentioned, I also believe the compression is voluntary, but either way, the original PCM master file sounds identical.

Credits
    Maybe a separate download? (or secondary track? )

Seeing as it's stereo_PCM, it should be very friendly for legacy.
    SurroundSound_PCM requires HDMI to passthru, else it gets downmixed to stereo anyway.

Credits

Unfortunately, that would put me in violation of the agreed terms and conditions when I was granted access.
    I'm getting these legally.

Last edited by jacques1400; 07-22-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Credits

Post Update

Since nobody has complained, I guess the Audio/Video of the studio encodes are now corrected.
    I have updated quite a few previously posted encodes using the new configuration, these can be recognized by the addition of "PCM" in the download link. i.e. xxxx_xxxxx_PCM_1080p.mov

As well, some of the ProRes encodes have also been updated, and these can be recognized by the addition of "AAC" in the download link.

This will be an ongoing project, so please be patient. Hopefully I will be able to update as many as possible before the masters expire (Yes, they have an expiry date).

Credits
    time to check for upgrades.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sparktank View Post
    time to check for upgrades.

I tried adding tags but for some reason that's not working, regardless, to find the updated PCM encodes search using "jacques1400/prores".
    The majority of encodes in the "ProRes" folder have been updated, there's still a few that have not, but at least this will save you time in locating the files.