Thanks Thanks:  5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Best Buy - July 18th, 2017

Kong: Skull Island
    Exclusive steelbook case; 4K BD/3D BD/BD combo $34.99

Spider-Man Legacy Collection (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $59.99 - with $10.00 Reward Certifcates

Credits
    Best Buy - July 25th, 2017

Boss Baby
    Exclusive lunch box with receipt of movie purchase $4.99

Ghost In The Shell
    Exclusive steelbook; BD/DVD combo $21.99

The Walking Dead: Season Seven
    Free tote bag with preorder

Credits
    Past Tense - Naughty Science Part II

What sucks bad here is that two versions were shot for each episode. One for television broadcast, the other uncensored for the later DVD. A home video release never happened. It kinda bombed in the ratings. I would totally buy it. I know I'm not the only one.

There is a chance that perhaps Mill Creek Entertainment may release it in the future. The company has a long history of being the welfare of DVD distributors. Poorly authored and manufactured discs. But as of the past couple of years, they've made stride to change that. Even addding extras.

Years ago it talked about (since I brought up "Mad Men"), that the show would end in the 1980s with an elderly Draper clinging to be relevant in a track suit.

But that didn't happen.

Another solid mention is "Manhattan" from WGN, the series about the creation of the first nuclear bomb; the families of the men who cracked the atom. Both seasons are on DVD. Good show, recommended. And "The Hour" a BBC series set in 1956 from 2011. Haven't seen it, but have heard good things. I need to pick that up on DVD, both seasons (only two were made).

Then there is this...

Can't say if its any good though; kept forgetting to watch and by the time I remember - too late.

Canceled.

The ABC period series, "The Astronauts Wives Club" set in the 1960s; the spouses of the "Mercury Seven" astronauts. Based on the book of the same name by Lily Koppel. The 2015 TV show lasted ten episodes. As I understand it was made as a limited run series.

The intent was having a new season set in a different period with new set of wives under intense stress.

Series finally comes to DVD on September 12th, 2017 from Mill Creek Entertainment for $24.98; no extras.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

In the outskirts and in the fringes. On the edge and off the avenue.
    - Suzanne Vega

"Masters Of Sex" was a blind purchase. And it took four episodes for me to get into it.

The series' main character - Dr. William Masters (played by Sheen) is very off putting. Four episodes to make me care about him. He's a narrow minded ass. Or I suppose you could say, laser focus on work to the detriment of those around him.

Next was Dr. Ethan Haas (Nicholas D'Agosto); lab coat, above pix. I don't like women getting hit. He does that early on. He's a belligerent drunk. Haas hasn't hit the sauce so much, I'm conflicted. He seems like a nice guy, but the whole punching thing continues to bother me.

Yes, a punch.

Anyhow, on the fourth episode we got some humanity out of Masters, tragedy hits him. It gave the man some much needed humility. It's pretty simple for me; get me to care and I'll follow you - no matter how insane your story is.

The show is dead, cancelled after four seasons. But only one and two are on home video. When will the other two come out? I would like to see them - don't have cable.

There could be a combo season if it ever comes out. This is a season show with limited episodes. Season one had twelve as did two and three, but four had ten. So a season three and four set would have twenty-two programs; a six disc DVD release. Would buy it on street.

Now the question that is on the tongue - how's the nudity? Yes. Yes there is. *smiles* Some very lovely ladies grace the show. Indeed. Let me make this clear, this is an adult series as in content, not hard core acts.

Four episodes to get into?

The biggest number by the way was thirteen for "Pretty Little Liars" season one. I bought the DVD on Black Friday 2012, was a blind buy at Target. I spent close to two hours in the checkout line that morning. I damn well was going to watch this box considered the effort I put into purchasing.

Did NOT like it... until episode thirteen.

It was like a switch had gotten pulled. All the stupid and utterly juvenile subplots were tied up. And now we got highly addictive and complex story lines. Boom! I'm in. Been a fan ever since.

Something I don't like; the open credits for MOS. Don't know, it feels so kitschy. Maybe that's what they were going after. I think of the opening credits to "Magic City" or "Mad Men" and it feels right.

This was a show that slipped under my radar. It was an issue of Playboy which ran an ad for the show - the same poster on the top of this PT entry. When Playboy had nudity and bite, not what it later became; which is why I didn't renew my subscription after nearly twenty-five years. Wow, that's a long time.

Have since re-subscribed - they brought the nudity back.

*pause*

When saw the first episode I was confused. Masters' wife, Libby (Caitlin Fitzgerald) calls her husband - "Daddy". Ahhhhh.

The woman is younger than him (not a lot, but noticeably younger) and did not know she was his wife at the time.

Is he's screwing his daughter? She seems happy about that.

So weird, then we find out Libby is the wife. So there. But still, "Daddy"? I guess things were different back then.

There you go folks. We come to the end of another Past Tense. Was it good for you?

Come back on August 10th, 2017 for another flash of goodness, a month long entrée about a contrived situation that lasted three seasons.

Now remember, pickup ALL your clothes. Don't think of it as a walk of shame - think of it as the start of our next meeting.

Feel the goose bumps. See you then.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 07-27-2019 at 06:28 AM.