Thanks Thanks:  5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Past Tense

[An earlier version of this PT was originally posted on September 27th, 2012 on JoBlo's "DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion" forum.]

This time out, you're getting a taste in your mouth, not to don't worry, the flavor won't linger, much - "The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor"...

The third film in the "Mummy" franchise; not gonna to count those "Scorpion King" spin-off (turds) opened on August 1st, 2008. It was made with a budget of $145,000,000 (estimated) and grossed 102 million during its U.S. theatrical run. It made its money back with profits when including foreign receipts (nearly four times the domestic gross). The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "The X-Files: I Want To Believe", "Wall-E", "Step Brothers" and "The Dark Knight".

I'm going to be talking about the "2 - Disc Deluxe Edition". This release originally came with an embossed cardboard foil slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It also came with two inserts; an ad for "The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor" the mobil game and digital copy instructions.

Something I hadn't noticed before; Brendan Fraser face on the poster - why does he look like a drawing then a photo?

- - -

As mentioned last Past Tense; November - I'm covering exclusives to films that upset me; every Hell won't say in place.

Welcome to "Agitated Movie Month"...

The movie streeted on home video on December 16th, 2008, there were exclusives. Bought this feature twice over and lost money.

The first was a pre-release, sneak peek disc from Best Buy. It was free and came in a standard DVD case; preview of TMTOTDE and "Hellboy II: The Golden Army". It was made available on July 22nd, 2008. The promo (for "Dragon") has a run time of 11:03 minutes.

You got an opportunity to get see "...Dragon Emperor", "The Incredible Hulk", "Wanted" or "Hellboy II" for free - if you bought a Best Buy title, part of a specific $5.99 DVD sale (twenty-two releases); came with a certificate code. The online theater voucher (e-Movie Cash), a $7.50 value was for one; window was June 13th, 2008 to October 26th, 2008.

Best Buy offered an exclusive lithograph for either version (single or two disc), $15.99 or $22.99. There were a minimum of fifteen lithographs per store. I don't own this nor do I have a picture of it. I apologize.

I made an effort to pick up that lithograph on release day, but they wanted five dollars for it if I didn't purchase the DVD. And I didn't think it was worth it. Now? I would like to own it as a collector, impossible to find now. *holds head in shame*

One of the final exclusives that came from Circuit City was a mini-CD-ROM (iActiveCard, a bit wider and shorter than a business card in size); browser based games. This was only available on the single disc edition and sold for $22.99. It was sealed inside the case - inside a clear sleeve with printed instructions.

Place card face up in the inner ring of the computer tray. Close tray for auto-launch. For laptops, snap card on spindle and close tray for auto-launch. Win-Mac compatible. Warning: Not compatible with slot loading CD drives, video game consoles or DVD drives.
    Access is nearly gone for most. I have an older computer than can boot-up Mac OS 9. That's was how I able to run and take those screen snaps. Before you as, not sure how rare that card is.

This is where my second copy was form.

Have since moved mine into a three disc case so that the card has its own nub holder.

Lastly was a bonus disc from Wal-Mart, this was also only available on the single disc version and sold for $19.98. The run time is 43:47 minutes (not forty-five as advertised).

Sold my extra on Ebay, it didn't sell well.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

*deep sigh* Let's be honest. This is crap on a cracker. While it did make a profit at the box office...

it is the sequel that killed the franchise.

Nine year later before another comes out - a full blown reboot.

"The Mummy" stars Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe and Sofia Boutella as a female mummy (probably best known as Gazelle from "Kingsman: The Secret Service" [2014]).

How terrible does that costume look? *shakes head*

As it stands, it has a June 9th, 2017 release date. The redo is set in the present by the way.

I don't have a problem with a female mummy. Women can be just as vengeful as men. I do have a problem with how cheap the costume looks. And with the tale set in the modern day.

Stories like this is about exploration - while the world was still new and uncharted. It should be in the late 1890 or early 20th century.

The story follows a Navy Seal, Tyler Colt (Cruise) and his mission in the Iraqi desert to find a group of terrorists hiding out in a bunker. Things go bad when a mummy is unleashed. Ain't that always the case?

But there's a twist!

Russell Crowe is playing Dr. Henry Jekyll. Yeah, Mr. Hyde will be making an appearance. Man, Universal desperately wanting a share cinematic universe for their movies.

I don't like that, c'mon, just make a better sequel. Is it that so hard? The remake is directed by Alex Kurtzman with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts and re-writes by Dylan Kussman. At one point Len Wiseman was attached to direct; director/writer/producer of the "Underworld" films.

Frack me. What is so foul about having a sequel? Has it become such a dirty word? Reboot. Reboot. Reboot! Wiseman by the way, directed the remake of "Total Recall" (2012). *sigh*

- - -

Anyhow, I wanted this to be a popcorn flick, like the last one, "The Mummy Returns" (2001) - while not as good as the first, was enjoyable. Man, I got mad watching this. WTF?

Why are yetis giving each other high fives (explain this to me). Why does Alex O'Connell (Luke Ford) speak like he's an adolescent? This man is suppose to have been educated.

Oh yeah, what the hell is Emperor Han's motivation? Jet Li might as well have had a mustache that he could twirl whenever he's on screen - 'see I'm wicked'. And a black hat just to make sure those who are stupid and/or ignorant will know, he's the bad guy.

The first two films had Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) who was this badass. You knew he was dangerous. He wanted to resurrect his lost love, Anck Su Namun (Patricia Velasquez) by any means necessary. You can't reason with him. He was powered by love.

I am sadden that they replaced Rachel Weisz (above right) with Maria Bello as Evelyn "Evy" Carnahan (or rather now married, Evelyn O'Connell). It took me out of the film ('that's not Evy') and her fake British accent was Saturday morning cartoon quality, plus she did not have the same chemistry with her co-star as Weisz did.

Why was she absent? Weisz hated the script. She opted out. Plus at the time she was a new mom and didn't want to be in China for the production, away from her baby. I get that. I do. Filmmakers should've tired for a better Evy, not a discount store version with Bello.

Why did this suck? The use of the animated Terra Cotta figures feels like a missed opportunity. There should've been more of a threat, not as scenery.

This thing can be summed up by saying, 'stupid actions by all to advance the paper thin story.' The plot twist was lame. You could've seen that a mile away. Woh! Zi Yuan (Michelle Yeoh) is centuries old and fought Han into his curse. Color me surprised - NOT.

This had very few bright spots. One of them was actress Isabella Leong as Lin. But her scenes with Alex made me cringe; is he retarded? Their scenes should be shown at acting classes, what not to do, so awkward.

What should've been was a spin off franchise.

This film as bad as it was - did lay the foundations for something greater.

Rick (Fraser) and Evy worked as spies for The Allies during WWII. That's where to go. It doesn't have to be another "Mummy" movie.

Do another with those characters in an action, period spy flick, it could even be supernatural. Why not?

Lots of people were saying the first movie was like Indiana Jones, embrace it. *nods*

Come back here on November 24th, 2016 for more contempt with a sci-fi classic that should not been not disposable. WTF Spielberg!
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 04:08 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - November 15th, 2016

Finding Dory
    Exclusive activity book; BD/DVD/DC combo $27.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $49.99

Rush: Time Stand Still
    Exclusive store release; title available 11/18/16; $19.99

Free Minon Mittens with purchase of select titles

- - - - - - - - - -

CD available 11/18/16

"Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger 25th Anniversary" with exclusive vinyl album $16.99

Credits
    Best Buy - November today, 2016

Pokemon: Diamond And Pearl Movie 4-Pack (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $24.99

Credits
    Past Tense - Monkey Faced Invaders Part II

Something I noticed. Manny, the mechanic was played by Lenny Venito. Not the only time he's dealt with extraterrestrials (Venito had bit parts the first two "Men In Black" films). And he starred on ABC's "The Neighbors". He played the dad of a family (Weavers) who moves into a cul-de-sac inhabited by a colony of aliens. It's was a decent show, pure fluff. Too bad season two hasn't come out on DVD.

Also when Ray emerges from the basement of his ex's home, he see the crashed jetliner scattered on the lawn. The first thing that popped in my head: if Denzel was drunk and flying that plane, it wouldn't have crashed. *nods*

I did like the cameo at the end. In case you missed it, the grandparents in Boston were played by Ann Robinson and Gene Barry, the stars of the original, 1953 film. Nice touch.

Problems...

1. Robbie.

2. During the first attack, a man is seen recording first contact with his camcorder. How? An electromagnetic pulse occurred that knocking off all electronics. There is a brief moment of a man using a 35mm camera taking snaps - that works. True the camcorder scene is cool looking, but is out of place, rules-wise. Hey, seeing some people dying would've been a nice; dead from broken pacemakers.

3. When Ray and Rachel are in the Tripod harvest basket - falling from the grenade blast; the baskets are large meshed frames, cages. The basket their on falls onto an old, leafless tree. The branches would've impaled numerous survivors, that didn't happen. Everyone just walked away unharmed. How did that happen? There should've been serious fatalities.

4. Robbie. Yes, twice. He made the movie twice as bad as it is.

5. At the start, why is Manny so calm? Didn't he hear the nearby destruction a few blocks way? He should've at least asked Ray, 'what was all that noise?' Nope.

6. I wish the War Machines had the sound effect of the ray gun as heard from the original film - it's iconic. Sci-Fans from around the world know that noise and what it means.

7. Tom Cruise, but that was mentioned earlier.

The movie has various flaws, but none of them so great that they ruin the feature. Robbie, man I'm looking at you, you almost killed it.

- - -

Next, I want to address a problem some had with the movie.

We were told the War Machines were buried here years ago. The occupants rode or more accurately were transported to their vehicles by the lightening. The big question was - wouldn't we have known about the buried machines; digging the ground up for subways, sewers, plumbing and building construction?

My thoughts on it is that these machines were put in place, out of phase. A state of being, just outside our existence, there and not there at the same time. A stable of Sci-Fi from such things as "Star Trek" to "H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond". When the occupants boarded their crafts it became in sync with the universe and pushed the ground around them away, parting the earth. I thought that was clever.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Well, kinda. Not really.

Released on DVD on April 20th, 1999 was the first pressing of "War Of The Worlds", the original film, obviously.

It sold for $29.95, bare bones, minus the trailer. Which is another rant, but I'll leave it alone since a better DVD happened later.

As a cross promotion, Paramount Home Entertainment re-released the film as special edition on November 14th, 2005 for $19.99.

Bought this on street, Wal-Mart I think.

So? I really don't care for the new cover. It's okay, I guess, it gets the job done. The cover from the '99 release looks much nicer and the color scheme matches the 2005 advertising.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Something sway.

You're looking at early production artwork, the abandoned design for the Martians, the 1953 invasion. Freaky huh? Test footage from the ending was made, showcasing this critter; stop-motion animated by none other than Ray Harryhausen. It dying from our germs, taking its last gasp.

The man was an artist, you could feel the failing breath.

Have an enjoyable (if possible) Thanksgiving and if you're like me - a safe and fruitful Black Friday. It can be an adventure. Good luck.

See you back here on December 8th, 2016 for a more happier time, bring snacks.
    Last edited by JohnIan101; 08-18-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Credits
    Best Buy - December 29th, 2016

The Hunger Games Collection
    Exclusive 4K Ultra HD BD/BD/DC combo $74.99

Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders (available now)
    Exclusive hardcover comic collection of 1966 and packaging; BD/DVD/DC combo $17.99

Game Of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (available now)
    Exclusive steelbook; BD only $49.99

Credits
    Best Buy - December 6th, 2016

The Secret Life Of Pets
    Exclusive "Max" plush dog with 4K Ultra HD BD/BD/DC combo $24.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection
    Exclsuive BD steelbook set $99.99

Mannheim Steamroller - Live
    Exclusive CD/BD combo $13.99

Ghostbusters (2016) (available now)
    Excusive steelbook; BD/DC combo $9.99